The Student Room Group

Age gaps: Should they be banned?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AngeryPenguin
But it is not just banned for 16- people. It is banned for people in positions of power to have relations with 18- people. That is because the power dynamic affects the ability to consent.

I don't understand what this has to do with age gap relationships generally though. Obviously there are situations where rules need to be set, but the situation you've described above isn't necessarily because of an age gap specifically, more because of the potential lack of judgement with certain people when you're not yet an adult. For example, if you're a teacher, you could be working in a school by the time you're 22, or even younger if you're a TA or similar. You could be working with sixth formers who've redone a year, so are 19. Nobody would really class 19-22/21 an "age gap relationship", as that's nothing whatsoever, yet it wouldn't be allowed.
Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I don't understand what this has to do with age gap relationships generally though. Obviously there are situations where rules need to be set, but the situation you've described above isn't necessarily because of an age gap specifically, more because of the potential lack of judgement with certain people when you're not yet an adult. For example, if you're a teacher, you could be working in a school by the time you're 22, or even younger if you're a TA or similar. You could be working with sixth formers who've redone a year, so are 19. Nobody would really class 19-22/21 an "age gap relationship", as that's nothing whatsoever, yet it wouldn't be allowed.

I think that is more to do with the professionalism an obvious bias and troubles that would come from mixing workplaces and intimate relationships.

The same happens on factory floors, mixing work and sexual relationships very really has positive outcomes for third parties.
woo hah, I don't like OPs opinion so bad it.

Liberal society not for you?
I don't see the big attraction with age gaps (in either direction) myself.
(edited 4 years ago)
But it is not just banned for 16- people. It is banned for people in positions of power to have relations with 18- people. That is because the power dynamic affects the ability to consent.

What is the power dynamic with young and old people? You don't have power over someone just because you were born first.
Aww, stupid me. Sorry mate
It's a very nuanced point. I'd find it weird if a 45 years old was dating someone that's 18. but I don't think a 50-year-old dating someone that is say 28 is not as strange. In my mind its the age of maturity that matters.
Original post by adam271
I think the word ban gets thrown to lightly and too often.

I don't like Ronaldo lets ban him!

The age gap issue has been addressed a law was passed. The age of consent is 16.
Now you can either make it criminal for two consenting adults to be together because of age.
OR
you can drastically increase the age someone stays a minor to say like 25.

I don't think neither are practical.

I've noticed this, people use the word ban very lightly, it's quite worrying.
Original post by NotNotBatman
I've noticed this, people use the word ban very lightly, it's quite worrying.

Indeed.
I do fear slightly that it is a generational thing(Teens and early twenties) and when these people get into power they may well turn us into some nanny state.
Original post by Napp
Also, theres no law saying teachers cant date students. There are ethical considerations that could see them fired but that is it. I can only presume you're talking about teachers rogering minors which is considered child abuse and is somewhat different... actually completely different, from what youre insinuating.

Teachers over 18 are banned from having sexual relationships with students under 18.
The Sexual Offences Act 2003 made it a criminal offence for a person over 18 in a position of trust to have any sexual relationship with an under 18.
It applies to teachers; even where both parties above the usual age for sexual consent, the relationship is consensual and the student does not attend classes taught by the teacher.
Original post by Burton Bridge
I think that is more to do with the professionalism an obvious bias and troubles that would come from mixing workplaces and intimate relationships.

The same happens on factory floors, mixing work and sexual relationships very really has positive outcomes for third parties.

Yeah fine, whatever. The point is, it has sod all to do with the thread, which simply said "should age gaps be banned?"
it's the girls decision as well, they'll also be held accountable
OP's just a bitter little oik who can't get laid. Ignore it.
As long as both ends are consenting to the relationship AND no paedophilia is involved, I believe they are at liberty to do whatever they want, even if they have an age gap which we don't very pleasantly perceive...
I also find it ironic that we love to criticise celebs for dating 18 year olds
But nothing is said of arranged marriages. Particularity when the child is only like 10 and it is happening in this country. Ye you can argue that they don't do anything illegal as nothing happens until the they are grown up. But it's still awful that it even happens.

Although I'd admit it's not something that can be easily enforced or controlled.
Why do some men (particularly in Hollywood) seem to exclusively date women half their age?

Is this not introducing an unacceptable power dynamic, the same dynamic that (rightfully) makes it illegal for teachers to date their students?

https://twitter.com/zebraheadphones/status/1157834272641814528

Men don't age anywhere near as bad, plus women are attracted to success which comes with age whereas men generally don't care in the slightest. So happy I'm male cause of this lol hate aging enough already.
(edited 4 years ago)
Why do some men (particularly in Hollywood) seem to exclusively date women half their age?

Is this not introducing an unacceptable power dynamic, the same dynamic that (rightfully) makes it illegal for teachers to date their students?

https://twitter.com/zebraheadphones/status/1157834272641814528

from this and some of your other threads i have come to the conclusion that you are severely brainwashed
What have I done to deserve it?
Reply 38
Original post by londonmyst
Teachers over 18 are banned from having sexual relationships with students under 18.
The Sexual Offences Act 2003 made it a criminal offence for a person over 18 in a position of trust to have any sexual relationship with an under 18.
It applies to teachers; even where both parties above the usual age for sexual consent, the relationship is consensual and the student does not attend classes taught by the teacher.

I was under the impression it was 16? At any rate my point still stands for all those 18 and over.
Original post by Napp
I was under the impression it was 16? At any rate my point still stands for all those 18 and over.

Yes, it used to be legal so long as everyone was 16 until the Sexual Offences Act 2003 become law.
Two schools I went to had adult teacher- sixth form student under 18/ married school governor- student under 18 'scandal relationships' going on.
The teachers involved were all given the resign or get arrested ultimatum.
Then frantic spending on a pr blackout and weekly house meetings threatening disciplinary action for "any malicious whispering". Lol.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending