The Student Room Group

Medicine or Programming for entrepreneurs ?

When I’m older, I know for a fact I want to be an entrepreneur. What business I will run, however, are undecided by me at this point.

I’ve wanted to go into medical school for years, so I need to do maths bio and chem which are like the 3 hardest A levels, plus I’m running a YT channel so I think 4 A levels would be too much, thus I can’t do computer science at A level as a 4th.

I don’t think I’m inherently passionate about coding , in fact I find it quite monotonous particularly because it takes years to be able to make programs that look modern and savy, as opposed to looking like they’re from the 1990s. I think if I did learn it to a higher level where I can actually make programs like games then I would enjoy it more. I only really plan on learning coding because it would be invaluable as a skill if I were to become an entrepreneur.

Do all entrepreneurs entering the technology market have skills in programming ? I’m quite convinced that in the UK there aren’t any opportunities for medical entrepreneurs - it’s all dominated by the NHS.

Thanks.
Reply 1
I am going to be studying medicine but I am very interested in entrepreneurship too. If the UK lacks opportunities we'll create them after all if it's to do with medical technology we would also have a lot of knowledge.
Reply 2
Enterpernures make a market.

Dont study medicine if you want to be a business man.
Reply 3
Original post by TanDezu
I am going to be studying medicine but I am very interested in entrepreneurship too. If the UK lacks opportunities we'll create them after all if it's to do with medical technology we would also have a lot of knowledge.

Very true man ! Have you just finished your A levels ?
Reply 4
yeah what stage in education are you?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by lewis.h
When I’m older, I know for a fact I want to be an entrepreneur. What business I will run, however, are undecided by me at this point.

I’ve wanted to go into medical school for years, so I need to do maths bio and chem which are like the 3 hardest A levels, plus I’m running a YT channel so I think 4 A levels would be too much, thus I can’t do computer science at A level as a 4th.

I don’t think I’m inherently passionate about coding , in fact I find it quite monotonous particularly because it takes years to be able to make programs that look modern and savy, as opposed to looking like they’re from the 1990s. I think if I did learn it to a higher level where I can actually make programs like games then I would enjoy it more. I only really plan on learning coding because it would be invaluable as a skill if I were to become an entrepreneur.

Do all entrepreneurs entering the technology market have skills in programming ? I’m quite convinced that in the UK there aren’t any opportunities for medical entrepreneurs - it’s all dominated by the NHS.

Thanks.

You don't need to do maths A level to study medicine.
Reply 6
Original post by NHSFan
You don't need to do maths A level to study medicine.

you need maths or physics one of the two as a third A level
Reply 7
Original post by TanDezu
you need maths or physics one of the two as a third A level

You absolutely DO NOT! For the vast majority of medical schools, it does not matter what your third A level is in, providing you get a grade A in it. I have lost count of the number of times this has been said on TSR!

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf
Reply 8
Original post by NHSFan
You absolutely DO NOT! For the vast majority of medical schools, it does not matter what your third A level is in, providing you get a grade A in it. I have lost count of the number of times this has been said on TSR!

https://www.medschools.ac.uk/media/2357/msc-entry-requirements-for-uk-medical-schools.pdf

okay I understand so chemistry and/or biology are generally required and just two sciences are fine
Maybe get work experience or something to establish whether you definitely want to do medicine as otherwise it’s not great and may not be that enjoyable. I’m sure you could do a business thing after med though if that’s what you want
Original post by lewis.h

Thanks.

The NHS uses external suppliers just like every other business and public sector organisation. With that said, it's a very crowded and competitive marketplace, so it's certainly difficult (but not impossible). Chances are pretty small though, the contracts are likely to be awarded to much bigger consultancies/suppliers.

On the note about how to build an NHS app which looks modern, that's relatively quick and easy to do if you're comfortable with the basics of web development. Most public sector apps now are based on web technologies (unless there's a compelling reason why it can't be designed to use a web browser). In nearly all cases, the UK Government requires that all new apps for public sector organisations like the NHS follow the Government Digital Service (GDS) standards, for which all of the 'styles' are publicly available for anybody to download and use in an app they're creating.

You can create an app which has the NHS 'look and feel' with fairly minimal web development skills; you can install the styles and components from here and grab a starter template: https://github.com/nhsuk/nhsuk-frontend

And follow the guidelines here to find all the copy+paste example code which will give you all CSS classes that you need for the UI styles, layout, components, etc: https://beta.nhs.uk/service-manual/styles-components-patterns

(or here: https://design-system.service.gov.uk/ )
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by lewis.h

Thanks.

Why would you start with “when I’m older” what’s wrong with now. If you want to be an entrepreneur don’t wait for some sort of external approval like a qualification or professional experience. Make it happen now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending