The Student Room Group

Economics books

I am applying to either Oxford or Cambridge to study economics (or economics and management in the case of Oxford) and was hoping that people could recommend some books or magazines to help me with my interview so that I have a greater knowledge of economics than others who are applying. Would simply reading The Economist be enough?
Have you just got your GCSE results? You need to read more than just the Economist and Ft etc. Some book recs: freakonomics (and super), road to serfdom, grave new world, nudge, tf&s (of course) and grave new world (my fav).
Reply 2
Original post by Umaurma
Have you just got your GCSE results? You need to read more than just the Economist and Ft etc. Some book recs: freakonomics (and super), road to serfdom, grave new world, nudge, tf&s (of course) and grave new world (my fav).

Thanks yeah I just got my results back, so I thought it would be a good idea to start preparing, I really have no idea what I'm doing though, I just know that I want to do economics.
Original post by lxcameron
Thanks yeah I just got my results back, so I thought it would be a good idea to start preparing, I really have no idea what I'm doing though, I just know that I want to do economics.

I saw on your other post how good your results were- congrats! It is fine to not have much background knowledge of economics starting the a level course- you'll pick it up quickly. To ease yourself in maybe just buy a copy of the economist (FT subscription should be free once school starts- i'm sure your econ teacher will bring it up). I'd rec thinking fast and slow first once you start as I think its managable at this stage (not too advanced terminology)- either way its one of the holy grails you have to read anyways so you might as well do it now :smile:
The Fatal Equilibrium is a great read
Reply 5
Original post by Umaurma
I saw on your other post how good your results were- congrats! It is fine to not have much background knowledge of economics starting the a level course- you'll pick it up quickly. To ease yourself in maybe just buy a copy of the economist (FT subscription should be free once school starts- i'm sure your econ teacher will bring it up). I'd rec thinking fast and slow first once you start as I think its managable at this stage (not too advanced terminology)- either way its one of the holy grails you have to read anyways so you might as well do it now :smile:

Thanks for the great advice, I'll be sure to go down to the library and pick up a few of those books, as well as to make good use of the free FT subscription. Sidenote: I can't actually even remember the last time I voluntarily read a book, so this should be a bit of a challenge for me but I kind of look forward to trying something new.
Reply 6
Original post by Patagonia
The Fatal Equilibrium is a great read

I'll make sure to check it out

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending