The Student Room Group

Barts and the London (QMUL) A101 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abc3fghi
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a101_barts_medical_school_ucat_s#incoming-1412958

As you can see, Barts places a very heavy weighting on degree classification, for the last 3 years very few people without a 1st have been given an offer and a 2:1 has only been accepted if the candidate has brought a UKCAT score of around 800 with them. We can’t see if those with a 2:1 have higher qualifications also. This isn’t to scare anyone, just pick your choices carefully to give yourselves the best chance of studying medicine.

I am still thinking about it because I haven't recieved my classification yet (Predicted a first) and my UCAT is not even that high (695 B1). So, I am not sure how they will score someone who hasn't obtained their degree yet.
Original post by Miracle989
I am still thinking about it because I haven't recieved my classification yet (Predicted a first) and my UCAT is not even that high (695 B1). So, I am not sure how they will score someone who hasn't obtained their degree yet.

I wouldn’t rule out Barts if you’re predicted a first, I got all my offers last year, Barts was the best of the lot so that’s where I’ll be in a couple of weeks.
I wouldn’t rule out Barts if you’re predicted a first, I got all my offers last year, Barts was the best of the lot so that’s where I’ll be in a couple of weeks.

Amazing and Congratulations!
Reply 23

What was your UCAT score?
Original post by Ali Alt
What was your UCAT score?

I got 2990, so just under 750 average and band 1

They score predicted and achieved degrees the same; I called the university to confirm this. This is apparently the case at Warwick as well. I hope this helps.
Do you guys know if everyone is on a level playing field after interview invites are handed out? So that everyone gets an offer based on interview performance & not ucat score
Original post by Jimmy Grimble
Do you guys know if everyone is on a level playing field after interview invites are handed out? So that everyone gets an offer based on interview performance & not ucat score

Yes - for applicants to the 5 year course, SJT is taken into account, but for the 4 year course it's just on interview score.
Original post by jzdzm
Yes - for applicants to the 5 year course, SJT is taken into account, but for the 4 year course it's just on interview score.

Thanks, I'm applying this year but my personal statement is poor I don't have much experience. Will probably get rejected pre interview but hopefully I will get work experience for 2021 entry
Thanks, I'm applying this year but my personal statement is poor I don't have much experience. Will probably get rejected pre interview but hopefully I will get work experience for 2021 entry

Work experience is not assessed pre interview, interview invites are based on academics / UCAT, so if you have a 1st class degree, meet any A level requirements, and a decent UCAT you have as good a chance as anyone else.

When it comes to the interview, lack of experience will make it more difficult for you so you will need to make the most of what you have - make sure you reflect on it really well and prepare lots of examples of different skills / attributes.
Original post by jzdzm
Work experience is not assessed pre interview, interview invites are based on academics / UCAT, so if you have a 1st class degree, meet any A level requirements, and a decent UCAT you have as good a chance as anyone else.

When it comes to the interview, lack of experience will make it more difficult for you so you will need to make the most of what you have - make sure you reflect on it really well and prepare lots of examples of different skills / attributes.

Yeah I'm predicted a first and my Ucat is in September. One more question btw, is warwick an easier medical school to get into? Was thinking of applying once I get the required hours
Yeah I'm predicted a first and my Ucat is in September. One more question btw, is warwick an easier medical school to get into? Was thinking of applying once I get the required hours

Imo there are no "easier" schools to get in to, there are only schools whose assessment systems better match your qualifications / experiences.
Original post by jzdzm
Imo there are no "easier" schools to get in to, there are only schools whose assessment systems better match your qualifications / experiences.

Fairs, thanks for the info
Reply 33
Is there anywhere that we can get the information about people who got interview from Barts last year (e.g. their UCAT scores and degree classification)?

This document has a lot of info on the types of people that were invited to interviews for all GEM unis last year. E.g; degree, classification, UCAT score...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nVuxe_4KAaTXR94o4a5y3HcazWvPvQ-GwycmY9G6IZE/edit#gid=901503487
Hi,

I'm torn between applying to Kings or Barts for the GEM course. I got 3210 on the UCAT, a 1st in both my first and second year of university (going into third year now) and A*A*A for my A Levels. I have some work experience (not loads).

What's the difference between the two courses? Does one radically suit my strengths more than the other?

Can anyone help? Thank you very much :smile:
Original post by hbarnes1
Hi,

I'm torn between applying to Kings or Barts for the GEM course. I got 3210 on the UCAT, a 1st in both my first and second year of university (going into third year now) and A*A*A for my A Levels. I have some work experience (not loads).

What's the difference between the two courses? Does one radically suit my strengths more than the other?

Can anyone help? Thank you very much :smile:

Just apply to both? They will both likely offer you an interview with those stats.
Hi guys I have been thinking of applying to graduate med for a while now and am currently moving into third year of biomedical science degree. Done UCAT about a week ago and got:
560:VR640M670:QR590:ARTotal=2460 (lower than expected)
Is it still possible to apply to barts a101. Should get a first prediction in terms of degree. Was wondering if anyone has similar stats or anyone know if interview is still a chance.
Hi,
If you are predicted a 1st, get an offer from Barts but then get a high 2:1, will they reject you in the summer before you start?
Reply 38
Hi,
If you are predicted a 1st, get an offer from Barts but then get a high 2:1, will they reject you in the summer before you start?

I'm not at all certain so it's worth asking admissions, but my guess is any predicted grades will get you a conditional offer and you'd generally have to meet those conditions to successfully start the course
Reply 39
Hi,

Seem to remember people saying that the offer will usually be conditional on a 2:1, even though you pretty much have to be predicted a 1st, if that makes sense?

Don't hold me to that though, it's worth checking, and obivously just go for the 1st if you can!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending