The Student Room Group

Do I need a cover letter?

Along side my CV? I am finding it hard to write a cover letter.
I always think it is better and more professional to write a cover letter, as the company might have more than one position and it might not be clear just from your CV exactly which role you are applying for. Just say something like " Dear Sir/Madam, I am applying for the position of Customer Service Adviser ( or whatever), reference number 123456 ( If there is a reference number). Please find enclosed a copy of my Curricululm Vitae. If there is any further information you require, please do not hesitate to contact me. Yours faithfully ... ( if you don't know the name of the person you are writing to. Yours sincerely if you know it is Mr. Smith you are addressing). Just ensure both your CV and the cover letter are both only 1 page long each. Oh and for both Yours faithfully and Yours sincerely, on both occasions it is capital Y for yours and a small f or a small s.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by markova21
I always think it is better and more professional to write a cover letter, as the company might have more than one position and it might not be clear just from your CV exactly which role you are applying for. Just say something like " Dear Sir/Madam, I am applying for the position of Customer Service Adviser ( or whatever), reference number 123456 ( If there is a reference number). Please find enclosed a copy of my Curricululm Vitae. If there is any further information you require, please do not hesitate to contact me. Yours faithfully ... ( if you don't know the name of the person you are writing to. Yours sincerely if you know it is Mr. Smith you are addressing). Just ensure both your CV and the cover letter are both only 1 page long each. Oh and for both Yours faithfully and Yours sincerely, on both occasions it is capital Y for yours and a small f or a small s.

Just sent it without the cover letter lol. Umm, I think i was confused because I saw some examples where people were listing experiences and then there were none with experiences and just a few lines stating "I want to join this job... check out my CV", so it kind of seemed as if the CV was covering it.
Original post by Discrepancy
Just sent it without the cover letter lol. Umm, I think i was confused because I saw some examples where people were listing experiences and then there were none with experiences and just a few lines stating "I want to join this job... check out my CV", so it kind of seemed as if the CV was covering it.

Not to worry. The best of luck with it anyway !
Original post by markova21
Not to worry. The best of luck with it anyway !

Thank you
Original post by Discrepancy
Along side my CV? I am finding it hard to write a cover letter.

You always need a covering letter with a CV, they are twin documents. The CV gives the evidence you have the skills to do the job, the covering letter provides the persuasive power that you want the job, want to work for the company and would be good at the job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending