The Student Room Group

Is further maths worth it?

I'm taking Chemistry, Maths and Physics for A level (I've just done GCSEs) and I'd love to apply to Oxbridge. Would further maths help me or would do I better just doing 3? I don't know how much it would help my a level maths or whether it would be lots of extra work?
Original post by Ensorcell
I'm taking Chemistry, Maths and Physics for A level (I've just done GCSEs) and I'd love to apply to Oxbridge. Would further maths help me or would do I better just doing 3? I don't know how much it would help my a level maths or whether it would be lots of extra work?

If you're applying for physics or phys natsci then further maths (or at least AS further) is strongly recommended. For natsci especially, most successful applicants have 4 subjects, usually including further maths for physical.
And if you're applying for maths, then I believe Cambridge are making further maths an absolute requirement so yes you'll need it for that. I'm unsure about oxford, but I'd imagine it'd at least be very useful in securing an offer.

So in short, yes. You should probably take further maths
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
It will definitely be worth it if you can put in the work for it. It will prepare you quite a lot for your fututr degree and the intellectual challenge of it will also be enjoyable.
Reply 3

Which subject are you thinking of doing at uni?
Reply 4
It would help with A-level maths quite a lot - provided you actually do well in it. I took further maths as a 4th and I barely needed to revise A-level maths at all during year 13. If you're interested in maths as a subject and you enjoy (or at least, don't mind) doing the work then go for it.
How much it'll help for uni applications there depends on what course you have in mind. If you wanted to apply for maths then it's obvious, but for NatSci at Cam or physics or chemistry at Oxford, somewhat less so.
Reply 5
Original post by Notnek
Which subject are you thinking of doing at uni?

I've got no idea! Maybe chemical/ aerospace engineering or natural sciences?

It'll probably help for engineering. And from my experience speaking to other physical natsci offer olders, almost everyone has further maths so that implies that it'll probably make you more likely to get an offer
Reply 7

If engineering then do take further maths.
Anyway, it's an extra A-level - you can drop it if it goes terribly. But having it will give you the most options possible.
Reply 8

If you're considering Oxbridge engineering then it's best to choose FM. But once you've made your mind up on a course and applied you should have a serious think about dropping a subject since 3 A Levels is all you need for any offer. You don't want to impact your grades by doing an extra A Level.
(edited 4 years ago)

I'm about to start a level physics chemistry maths and further maths this September! Can we keep in contact to share good revision resources anyone finds? Also I spoke to my head of sixth for, and he said that previous students that did the 4 a levels I'm doing have done exceedingly well in getting into good universities such as Oxford so if you can manage it the FM is such a great way to set yourself apart from someone with only physics chemistry and maths
Reply 10
Original post by Rae5
I'm about to start a level physics chemistry maths and further maths this September! Can we keep in contact to share good revision resources anyone finds? Also I spoke to my head of sixth for, and he said that previous students that did the 4 a levels I'm doing have done exceedingly well in getting into good universities such as Oxford so if you can manage it the FM is such a great way to set yourself apart from someone with only physics chemistry and maths

Yeah sounds great! Pm me :smile:

If you're planning to study a mathematical subject such as physics, engineering, chemistry etc. I would highly recommend taking further maths!!
the intellectual challenge of it will also be enjoyable

To be fair, you have no way of telling whether that will be true for the OP - it could just as easily be frustrating and head-banging. They shouldn't base their decision on such a factor; rather, on the long-term utility, which I think is what they're asking anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest