The Student Room Group

university rejected me.

Hi I have been depressed for a week now, reason is that I was not able to get in to any top 20 uni . I have resit but i guess I wasn't good enough to get the right grade I did try very hard. I do have place at a decent uni but its not very highly ranked. I had some personal issues which did affect me a little but I was in the right path and got offer from a top uni, It just in one subject i had 2 grade low.

I really wanted move out to uni and have that uni life but the uni i'm going is kinda close to my house so it doesn't make sense for me to move out. also now I have take a bus or a train to get there which i really don't want to. My family are very supportive as they know the struggle I have faced in my education and they are happy with my result.

All my relatives have asked me which uni I'm going and I told them I'm going this top uni and now I don't know how tell them I'm not going to this uni or moving out to uni. all my relatives their very academic and I'm afraid they might think different of me. I already took a year out and resit my exams and now my only choice is to go to this uni which ranked like 40 or something.

I'm very depressed and don't really feel like getting ready for uni.
I guess I'm posting this for some advice and see if there anyone in the same position.

If you have read all this Thank you.
Hi and well done for getting into Uni. Ok it might not be your first choice but please don't stress!

What matters is your final grade so if you got a first and then another student got a 2:2 but went to the top-ranking university then if I was an employer I would employ you. So it's entirely about how much you put into your degree that will matter in the end.' be

I know it's short but hopefully good advice.

with regards to accommodation just think of the money you'll be saving but on the otherhand, you could always apply for accommodation if you wanted to. It's your decision now your an adult.

I wish you all the best

Ally
Original post by Anonymous
Hi I have been depressed for a week now, reason is that I was not able to get in to any top 20 uni . I have resit but i guess I wasn't good enough to get the right grade I did try very hard. I do have place at a decent uni but its not very highly ranked. I had some personal issues which did affect me a little but I was in the right path and got offer from a top uni, It just in one subject i had 2 grade low.

I really wanted move out to uni and have that uni life but the uni i'm going is kinda close to my house so it doesn't make sense for me to move out. also now I have take a bus or a train to get there which i really don't want to. My family are very supportive as they know the struggle I have faced in my education and they are happy with my result.

All my relatives have asked me which uni I'm going and I told them I'm going this top uni and now I don't know how tell them I'm not going to this uni or moving out to uni. all my relatives their very academic and I'm afraid they might think different of me. I already took a year out and resit my exams and now my only choice is to go to this uni which ranked like 40 or something.

I guess I'm posting this for some advice and see if there anyone in the same position.

tbh, sometimes the ranking of unis do not matter, some may go to the top unis and may not like their experience. I think you should atleast try it out, i believe everything happens for a reason and maybe for this uni , you will enjoy it way more than the other. if u dont mind me asking what course you want to do :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by alisonphelan
Hi and well done for getting into Uni. Ok it might not be your first choice but please don't stress!

What matters is your final grade so if you got a first and then another student got a 2:2 but went to the top-ranking university then if I was an employer I would employ you. So it's entirely about how much you put into your degree that will matter in the end.' be

I know it's short but hopefully good advice.

with regards to accommodation just think of the money you'll be saving but on the otherhand, you could always apply for accommodation if you wanted to. It's your decision now your an adult.

I wish you all the best

Ally

Thank you for your reply
What uni did you get into?:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Sharemine
tbh, sometimes the ranking of unis do not matter, some may go to the top unis and may not like their experience. I think you should atleast try it out, i believe everything happens for a reason and maybe for this uni , you will enjoy it way more than the other. if u dont mind me asking what course you want to do :smile:

Thank you
I will be studying accounting
Reply 6

If you have an offer to study the subject you want to, then go for it. There's 106 universities in the UK (including colleges it would amount to around 130), so 40th is actually not that bad.

As others have mentioned, you save a ton of money and there's the stigma that you can't make friends when you're not living outside, but that's not true. You can join societies and university clubs.

And forget what your family think. Their opinions aren't going to determine the degree of success you achieve in life, only you get to determine that. And if your family look down on you because you aren't up to their 'academic' standard, then clearly the only thing they got from university was textbook knowledge but no real intellect.
Reply 7
Original post by HGS345
If you have an offer to study the subject you want to, then go for it. There's 106 universities in the UK (including colleges it would amount to around 130), so 40th is actually not that bad.

As others have mentioned, you save a ton of money and there's the stigma that you can't make friends when you're not living outside, but that's not true. You can join societies and university clubs.

And forget what your family think. Their opinions aren't going to determine the degree of success you achieve in life, only you get to determine that. And if your family look down on you because you aren't up to their 'academic' standard, then clearly the only thing they got from university was textbook knowledge but no real intellect.

Thank you very much
I'll do my best and get good grade
Reply 8
Thank you very much
I'll do my best and get good grade

Good good. I expect to be earning a lot of money in the future. I'll need a good accountant to sort out my finances so I don't get robbed by the government.
Hi I have been depressed for a week now,

You're upset. You've been upset for a week because you have not gotten into your first choice university.

I understand your situation isn't great, and it is upsetting, but do not say you're depressed because of it, it's somewhat insulting to those who are.
You're upset. You've been upset for a week because you have not gotten into your first choice university.

I understand your situation isn't great, and it is upsetting, but do not say you're depressed because of it, it's somewhat insulting to those who are.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to
Thank you
I will be studying accounting

oh thats fine, just try to get mininum os 2:1 and do the final exam think its called ACCA, u will be fine , what uni is it if u dont mind saying
Half the threads I see on tsr are troll threads loool
Original post by Sharemine
oh thats fine, just try to get mininum os 2:1 and do the final exam think its called ACCA, u will be fine , what uni is it if u dont mind saying

Ghana

Quick Reply

Latest