The Student Room Group

A Level English literature vs. English language

Hi everyone

I need help deciding whether to do english lit or language for A level. I really enjoy/ like the look of both courses (for reference I got an 8 in lit and a 9 in lang this summer).

I know literature is a facilitating subject but I've also heard that it is very time consuming (I know all A Levels are but I've heard lit is especially so).
My other subjects are Spanish, Psychology and Dance/Drama (haven't decided yet).

Welcoming any and all advice!
I do lit and it’s honestly not that much work it’s my least amount of work out of German physics and lit, you just have to do like two essays a week which may sound a lot but it’s not that much bad with frees and like less subjects and there’s the books you have to read but theirs like not that many really for my spec it’s like 4 books 2 plays and poetry it’s just about how much practise you do, I don’t know about lang though I’m sure that’s a good choice too hopefully someone else can give an insight into that, ultimately pick the one you like more because if you don’t like it you are less likely to do the work required to do well :smile: good luck
Original post by isobel738051
Hi everyone

I need help deciding whether to do english lit or language for A level. I really enjoy/ like the look of both courses (for reference I got an 8 in lit and a 9 in lang this summer).

I know literature is a facilitating subject but I've also heard that it is very time consuming (I know all A Levels are but I've heard lit is especially so).
My other subjects are Spanish, Psychology and Dance/Drama (haven't decided yet).

Welcoming any and all advice!

I take both and I enjoy both.
Literature has a lot of reading to do, language has a lot of terms and theories.
Maybe you can take both in one A Level? My school offers thus, not sure about yours.

Both subjects are great if you enjoy English, however literature is potentially more respected :smile:
Original post by S.carter
I take both and I enjoy both.
Literature has a lot of reading to do, language has a lot of terms and theories.
Maybe you can take both in one A Level? My school offers thus, not sure about yours.

Both subjects are great if you enjoy English, however literature is potentially more respected :smile:

Thanks - unfortunately my school don't do the combined one! Which would you say takes up more time?
Thanks - unfortunately my school don't do the combined one! Which would you say takes up more time?

I’d say Literature, based off of reading. However I’m not sure if that’s really the best way to choose subjects- maybe you enjoy one more?
I’d say Literature, based off of reading. However I’m not sure if that’s really the best way to choose subjects- maybe you enjoy one more?

Yeah I know but I enjoy them both equally so it's hard aha
I probably should have said - I'm currently training in dance outside of school (I want to do it post-18) which takes up a lot of time
Yeah I know but I enjoy them both equally so it's hard aha
I probably should have said - I'm currently training in dance outside of school (I want to do it post-18) which takes up a lot of time

Ahhhh i see, that’s cool! Yeah I’d say language does take up less time, for me at least.
Ahhhh i see, that’s cool! Yeah I’d say language does take up less time, for me at least.

ok thanks! is it by much?

Quick Reply

Latest