The Student Room Group

Failing to get past the first stage for every graduate role

I failed to get internships in year 1 of university, failed to get placement in my second year, failed to get work experience in my third year and then graduated with 2.1 BEng in Chemical Engineering.

I made at least 500 applications and no luck, i've applied through reed, indeed, cv library, target jobs, gradcracker, linkedin, speculative letters, going in person, I signed up to 30 recruitment agencies and applied through online forms for jobs related to engineering, sales, management, finance and teaching.

I can't even get part time job to fund gym, my family are too poor to help me financially, I spend all my money on driving lessons, they are mad at me for failing to get a job.

I have done enormous amount of volunteering, used my Grandfather inheritance on travelling, I sit in front of the computer researching employers to write tailored cover letters to apply, I practice aptitude tests if I ever get to the next stage, I read around the industry news, self teach myself a language, learn about safety engineering principles and read personal development materials, careers advice and consult with professionals to check my cover letters and CV.

Honestly I feel like a failure, I am extremely depressed over my lack of success, it hurts seeing people who got lower grades than me didn't do any extra curricular activities be on their third work experience.

Scroll to see replies

If you're not getting past the first stage then your application is no good. You need to stop applying for jobs until it's fixed.
Original post by Student-95
If you're not getting past the first stage then your application is no good. You need to stop applying for jobs until it's fixed.

I spend a lot of time researching on how to improve my applications, seeking advice from careers advisers how am I suppose to fix my applications?

For cover letters I complete a full employer research and structure my letter including STAR for the required skills taking up to 5 days to apply where I have drafted at least 3 times and checked with my careers advisers and friends before submitting.
Reply 3
When you say you can't get past the first stage do you mean you send a CV and covering letter/ complete the application form then get rejected?

If so you really need specific advice on applications. Do you have any work experience? What part of the country are you in?
I can sympathise as I was un and underemployed from 2014 to this year. That was with an MEng distinction Mech Eng from top10uk uni, study abroad at a top20 world uni, summer placement with a consultancy, several years Formula Student experience, good prior attainment, good individual and group projects, I'd say average interpersonal skills.

What types of jobs are you applying to? How are you choosing which roles to apply to? As I'm sure you know, It's pretty difficult to get a graduate engineering job nowadays because of the 2:1 ratio of graduates to jobs. Statistically impossible for everyone that wants to be an engineer to become one. Once you factor in non-degree routes into some entry level roles + applications from the "backlog" of previously unsuccessful grads you can be looking at 100-200 "suitably qualified" candidates applying per position. So if it's engineering you are applying to I'd say to make sure you're looking at things from an employer's point of view- know exactly how will they be filtering- whether that's a human/engineer/HR/automated/buzzword, work out what traits they might look for. What does your cv/application say about you? Applying to anything you are "suitably qualified" for is not a good approach, statistically speaking, even if you give a good impression of yourself in your applications. I tended to get interviews when the role and my experiences matched up.
Original post by Obsidian440
I spend a lot of time researching on how to improve my applications, seeking advice from careers advisers how am I suppose to fix my applications?

For cover letters I complete a full employer research and structure my letter including STAR for the required skills taking up to 5 days to apply where I have drafted at least 3 times and checked with my careers advisers and friends before submitting.

Hard to say without seeing it. There's a CV help forum on here - you should upload your cv there to get another perspective.
Reply 6
Need to see your CV. It's clearly the issue if you're not even getting to interview.

Based on what you've self-described, i'm going to wager the language and tone of your writing lacks "polish". You despair might also be subtly feeding into your applications, and ironically, you cannot come across as desperate for the job either.

You don't need to tell them why you fit the role, you need to convey why you're better than everyone else who fits the role. What do you bring that other people don't?
Original post by ajj2000
When you say you can't get past the first stage do you mean you send a CV and covering letter/ complete the application form then get rejected?

If so you really need specific advice on applications. Do you have any work experience? What part of the country are you in?

Exactly as you put it, I have no relevant work experience but its not like I avoided getting any I did try. I am from the east midlands.
Original post by Student-95
Hard to say without seeing it. There's a CV help forum on here - you should upload your cv there to get another perspective.

I have been working on my CV with the CV help forum yesterday and today.
Original post by Moments
Need to see your CV. It's clearly the issue if you're not even getting to interview.

Based on what you've self-described, i'm going to wager the language and tone of your writing lacks "polish". You despair might also be subtly feeding into your applications, and ironically, you cannot come across as desperate for the job either.

You don't need to tell them why you fit the role, you need to convey why you're better than everyone else who fits the role. What do you bring that other people don't?

My CV is uploaded on the CV Help forum.

Honestly two years ago I had a tonne of extra curricular activities and accomplishment to make me stand out but after each year of failing to progress I struggle to see any value my experiences.

For example I was awarded student rep of the year on two occasions because I convinced senior management to invest over £25K in the IT facilities to match the university business strategy, I changed the representation organisation structure at my university to improve efficiency in resolving course issues and I independently researched and wrote a successful motions to implement lecture capture technology to improve students teaching and learning experience.

Its my dream to be a Process Safety Consultant and progress in the management areas of an engineering firm but now my competitors have work experiences that topple any of my leaderships roles, interpersonal skill based volunteer roles.
Original post by swelshie
I can sympathise as I was un and underemployed from 2014 to this year. That was with an MEng distinction Mech Eng from top10uk uni, study abroad at a top20 world uni, summer placement with a consultancy, several years Formula Student experience, good prior attainment, good individual and group projects, I'd say average interpersonal skills.

What types of jobs are you applying to? How are you choosing which roles to apply to? As I'm sure you know, It's pretty difficult to get a graduate engineering job nowadays because of the 2:1 ratio of graduates to jobs. Statistically impossible for everyone that wants to be an engineer to become one. Once you factor in non-degree routes into some entry level roles + applications from the "backlog" of previously unsuccessful grads you can be looking at 100-200 "suitably qualified" candidates applying per position. So if it's engineering you are applying to I'd say to make sure you're looking at things from an employer's point of view- know exactly how will they be filtering- whether that's a human/engineer/HR/automated/buzzword, work out what traits they might look for. What does your cv/application say about you? Applying to anything you are "suitably qualified" for is not a good approach, statistically speaking, even if you give a good impression of yourself in your applications. I tended to get interviews when the role and my experiences matched up.

I prioritised application for Safety & Risk Engineering consultant roles following my intense employer researched my cover letter was mirroring the language the industry uses and I made sure I ticked off each requirement but got an instant rejection.

I apply to chemical engineer roles, process engineer roles, project management through gradcracker and company sites and all the graduate engineering roles through indeed, reed, linkedin and targetjobs.

I have run out of graduate jobs on my list to apply to for 2019 role and fear I am gonna be employed for an entire year because 2020 applications begin in September.
Reply 11
I failed to get internships in year 1 of university, failed to get placement in my second year, failed to get work experience in my third year and then graduated with 2.1 BEng in Chemical Engineering.

I made at least 500 applications and no luck, i've applied through reed, indeed, cv library, target jobs, gradcracker, linkedin, speculative letters, going in person, I signed up to 30 recruitment agencies and applied through online forms for jobs related to engineering, sales, management, finance and teaching.

I can't even get part time job to fund gym, my family are too poor to help me financially, I spend all my money on driving lessons, they are mad at me for failing to get a job.

I have done enormous amount of volunteering, used my Grandfather inheritance on travelling, I sit in front of the computer researching employers to write tailored cover letters to apply, I practice aptitude tests if I ever get to the next stage, I read around the industry news, self teach myself a language, learn about safety engineering principles and read personal development materials, careers advice and consult with professionals to check my cover letters and CV.

Honestly I feel like a failure, I am extremely depressed over my lack of success, it hurts seeing people who got lower grades than me didn't do any extra curricular activities be on their third work experience.

Maybe look into careers outside of engineering for the time being
Original post by Bazyli
Maybe look into careers outside of engineering for the time being

Why would they take an engineering graduate when there are plenty of humanities, science and IT graduates more relevant for those roles. I am struggling to even get a part time job and will have no choice but to work manual labour jobs next month if I don't figure anything out for the year 2019/20 while applying for 2020 grad schemes.
Reply 13
Why would they take an engineering graduate when there are plenty of humanities, science and IT graduates more relevant for those roles. I am struggling to even get a part time job and will have no choice but to work manual labour jobs next month if I don't figure anything out for the year 2019/20 while applying for 2020 grad schemes.

Ok. It’s your mess so sort it out
Original post by Bazyli
Ok. It’s your mess so sort it out

I am here for support and advice, I don't have friends or family who can help me out, I feel bad as it is and hate myself for being in this mess and seriously question my existence.

I took 1 hour bus each day to school to sit my A levels, because my old School didn't think I could go to uni, I achieved AABB in my AS levels in math, physics, chemistry and geography, I have a lot of relations who don't wish me well, I had no friends at my new school, I got really depressed during exam season and performed badly receiving BBC A levels missing my Leeds ABB offer which was lowered by my lower deprivation background. Only Bradford accepted me through clearing and I was determined to make a success of the opportunity. I was happy with opportunities I was getting to take on multiple roles and work on big projects outside my course.

I completed two work experiences one in STEM and one in Engineering prior university, in my final year there was a death in my family, I was living in isolation because the accommodation was lacking students and then I got extremely depressed I was averaging a first class but I couldn't complete my dissertation and because of that my grade drop to a 2.1.

I
The old version is the tried and failed.

The new is some help yesterday.
Reply 16
The old version is the tried and failed.

The new is some help yesterday.

The attachments don’t work for some reason
Original post by Bazyli

Screenshot_20190825-202735.pngScreenshot_20190825-202802.png 2 page one is my old cv the 1 page one is my new cv
(edited 4 years ago)
Screenshot_20190825-202823.png
Original post by Bazyli

I like the new CV (not that I have any knowledge of the areas you are applying for).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending