The Student Room Group

what to put in a personal statement??

okay so basically my teacher who was supposed to guide my class into writing a personal statement just didn’t bother, and cancelled lessons all the time. because of this i haven’t started and don’t know where to start. any help would be appreciated x
It depends what uni and what subject, but we were told to put:
Short intro - why you want to do the course
Main body- get straight in there with evidence as to why you love your subject/ why you would be a good candidate (so reading of journals, novels etc., relevant films perhaps with follow up independent work, work experience, special subject related interests)
Extracurricular stuff - only 25% tops, try to link it to your subject e.g. for me I linked roles of responsibility in Scouting and music hobbies to communication skills for mfl
Final sentence rounding off to reiterate your interest and potential
Original post by ellapro02
okay so basically my teacher who was supposed to guide my class into writing a personal statement just didn’t bother, and cancelled lessons all the time. because of this i haven’t started and don’t know where to start. any help would be appreciated x

Your personal statement is there to demonstrate why you want to study XYZ subject at university. That's exactly what you should put down.

Put down relevant work experience if it's a vocational course
Relevant books you've read (if any) and why that particular book makes you interested in studying XYZ
Any relevant activities you've taken part in that makes you interested in studying XYZ

...etc etc etc

There are lots of material online to guide you. Just make sure everything you write is clearly relevant to the subject and not stuff like I helped Granny Smith crossed the road 2-years ago so I'm a good person and should gain admission to study theoretical physics.

Don't say the usual nonsense like I study mathematics therefore I have an analytical mindset to study physics, or I study drama therefore I am very creative and will be good on an English course. No, just don't. Admissions tutors know which A-levels suit their program of study - they'll put it in their entry requirements. They're not idiots.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Blue_Cow
Your personal statement is there to demonstrate why you want to study XYZ subject at university. That's exactly what you should put down.

Put down relevant work experience if it's a vocational course
Relevant books you've read (if any) and why that particular book makes you interested in studying XYZ
Any relevant activities you've taken part in that makes you interested in studying XYZ

...etc etc etc

There are lots of material online to guide you. Just make sure everything you write is clearly relevant to the subject and not stuff like I helped Granny Smith crossed the road 2-years ago so I'm a good person and should gain admission to study theoretical physics.

Don't say the usual nonsense like I study mathematics therefore I have an analytical mindset to study physics, or I study drama therefore I am very creative and will be good on an English course. No, just don't. Admissions tutors know which A-levels suit their program of study - they'll put it in their entry requirements. They're not idiots.

thank you so much!! this has really helped a lot. is there anywhere where i can get others to check it first before being sent to the universities, or can it only be checked by my lecturers?
Original post by ellapro02
thank you so much!! this has really helped a lot. is there anywhere where i can get others to check it first before being sent to the universities, or can it only be checked by my lecturers?

Yup.

TSR has a free PS review service, run by vetted volunteers. Read more about it here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=26458-Get-your-personal-statement-draft-reviewed-by-a-TSR-PS-reviewer

and submit your PS here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=1372 This is a PRIVATE part of the site, only you and the volunteers can see this.

You should NEVER send your PS to anyone via PM or post it in the public area of the site. This is because someone could plagiarise it or it could be cached by search engines, therefore flagging your PS up on UCAS' anti-plagiarism checkers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending