The Student Room Group

do you think you could teach someone to drive and pass their driving test?

Do you think you have enough skill to get someone through the test without you going through any formal training?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by J0n3zviper
Do you think you have enough skill to get someone through the test without you going through any formal training?

No.
Reply 2

I never had a lesson from a driving instructor. I taught myself to drive by understanding how the car worked, understanding the road, and doing plenty of research.

It stands to reason that if I can teach myself, I can also teach others.
Reply 3
Original post by IWMTom
I never had a lesson from a driving instructor. I taught myself to drive by understanding how the car worked, understanding the road, and doing plenty of research.

It stands to reason that if I can teach myself, I can also teach others.

LOL, so you taught yourself to drive, went for the test and passed? Am I understanding this correctly as even for you, this is pretty out there.
Reply 4
LOL, so you taught yourself to drive, went for the test and passed? Am I understanding this correctly as even for you, this is pretty out there.

That's correct. Passed first time with a single minor.
Reply 5
Yes. Easily.

I've done all 3 motorcycle Tests
Done the car test
Done both hgv Tests.

I also am pretty patient.
Reply 6
Original post by IWMTom
That's correct. Passed first time with a single minor.

How did you practice on the roads you can't go out on your own as a leaner? How long have you been driving?
Nuh uh that's suicide.
Reply 8
How did you practice on the roads you can't go out on your own as a leaner? How long have you been driving?

With my mum in the passenger seat.

I practiced between September 2015 and March 2016 until I passed my test.

To save you doing the maths, 3 and a half years on a full licence, 4 years including provisional time.
Yes, but I’d want dual controls!
So your mum taught you then, as there is noway that you simply got in a car and got yourself to test standard with no one teaching, what you're suggesting is almost impossible. I knew you were up your own arse but come on take a day off from it now and again.

It's possible.
I was driving a motorcycle for 2 years before I sat my car test so I knew how to drive and the rules of the road.
I did take a few lessons to get used to the car I was driving in though.
Reply 11
So your mum taught you then, as there is noway that you simply got in a car and got yourself to test standard with no one teaching, what you're suggesting is almost impossible. I knew you were up your own arse but come on take a day off from it now and again.

No, because she's hopeless. When she tried to "teach" me she told me to put the clutch in, shift to first, and let go of the clutch... the car kangaroo jumped and stalled. She couldn't figure out why.

What she didn't explain is that I had to do it slowly. A YouTube video explained that, and with an hour's practice I had clutch control more or less down to a tee.

You can believe what you like pal, but I'm being sincere here. We live in an age where anyone can learn anything through the Internet, including driving.

Driving instructors are overpriced box tickers - the vast majority teach in such a way that we have people passing their tests and not knowing how to drive as to fit in with other road users.

There's a big difference between driving to pass a test and driving in reality.

That's kinda, came out of nowhere? :tongue:

Perfectly realistic to teach yourself just about anything, Youtube and such just make it much easier and it's not like the parameters of a driving test aren't v well established. Plenty people learn things more effectively through experimentation rather than tuition or research.
Reply 13
Original post by StriderHort
That's kinda, came out of nowhere? :tongue:

Perfectly realistic to teach yourself just about anything, Youtube and such just make it much easier and it's not like the parameters of a driving test aren't v well established. Plenty people learn things more effectively through experimentation rather than tuition or research.

Completely agree.

Yes, and I did so. I taught my son how to drive. He received his Provisional Licence at the end of Sept, and passed his test at the end of Dec.
We only paid for TWO lessons, one after the first couple of weeks of driving and one before the actual test to make sure he is up-to-date with his knowledge and skills, and also to learn about the possible routes, etc. The instructor sent his compliments to 'Mum':-))

I must admit it is not with anyone I would undertake this, but knowing my son and his background I was pretty confident.
(edited 4 years ago)
I mostly taught my partner how to drive. She had a few lessons to help with the tick-box stuff that they specifically want to see you do on the test, but she spent far, far more time with me in the car than she did with her instructor. She learnt all her road craft and deeper understanding of driving from me. The day after she passed her test I chucked her on the motorway, in the rain, at night. There was some panicking and some tears but we made it and she was fine with motorways after that.

I've had my licence for ten years now and also have my class 2 HGV licence. I drove lorries and vans for a living for a few years and driven as a smaller part of my jobs since. I've always loved the process of driving and was driving stuff around fields from the age of 12 or 13. My Dad picked me up from school on my 17th birthday and I drove the 45 minutes home.
Original post by IWMTom
No, because she's hopeless. When she tried to "teach" me she told me to put the clutch in, shift to first, and let go of the clutch... the car kangaroo jumped and stalled. She couldn't figure out why.

What she didn't explain is that I had to do it slowly. A YouTube video explained that, and with an hour's practice I had clutch control more or less down to a tee.

You can believe what you like pal, but I'm being sincere here. We live in an age where anyone can learn anything through the Internet, including driving.

Driving instructors are overpriced box tickers - the vast majority teach in such a way that we have people passing their tests and not knowing how to drive as to fit in with other road users.

There's a big difference between driving to pass a test and driving in reality.

All I can do is smile and nod really, I agree you can learn many things online, but something practical like a driving a car.. Possibly, driving it well enough to pass the test.. Unlikely. If you actually taught yourself to drive to test standard without help from a professional then fair play, but likely BS, you would be in a minority of 0.1% of people who could pull that off.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17
maybe a stacker
Reply 18
All I can do is smile and nod really, I agree you can learn many things online, but something practical like a driving a car.. Possibly, driving it well enough to pass the test.. Unlikely. If you actually taught yourself to drive to test standard without help from a professional then fair play, but likely BS, you would be in a minority of 0.1% of people who could pull that off.

I learned to wallpaper by watching YouTube. That's a practical skill too.

Anything is possible with enough practice.

This is a student forum. It's not a thicko's forum.

It's no surprise to me that a confident learner like IWMTom was able to teach himself.

Thinking about it, paying for lessons is totally unnecessary for anyone with a bit about them.

Quick Reply

Latest