The Student Room Group

Sixth forms

I recently just moved to Stanmore after my GCSEs , anyone know any good schools that are multi cultural aswell. Travel is not an issue but i prefer to stay up in the North West of London

Scroll to see replies

You have any personal advice gained from your own experience, im muslim and my siblings have told me to attend St Dominic but i fear my different religion can be singled out due to it being a Catholic school
Any religion can go there!
I’m Muslim too and I know my arabic school headteacher, her daughter went there and she loved it
There is St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College which I was considering and only 30% were catholic the rest other faiths....on Monday’s for one hour is RE like see Christianity but Yh it’s calm

St Dominic is really good
Try St Marylebone (if it’s close too u)
i’ve heard students saying bentley wood, claremont and whitmore are good sixth forms (they’re a part of a high school!)
Original post by Dakotaz
You have any personal advice gained from your own experience, im muslim and my siblings have told me to attend St Dominic but i fear my different religion can be singled out due to it being a Catholic school

even though it’s a catholic school there are many muslims there actually!
Original post by Sannah 21
Any religion can go there!
I’m Muslim too and I know my arabic school headteacher, her daughter went there and she loved it
There is St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College which I was considering and only 30% were catholic the rest other faiths....on Monday’s for one hour is RE like see Christianity but Yh it’s calm

St Dominic is really good
Try St Marylebone (if it’s close too u)

Thanks so much for your advice, really appreciate it man👍🏽
Original post by pipthesqueak
i’ve heard students saying bentley wood, claremont and whitmore are good sixth forms (they’re a part of a high school!)

Oh, thanks for your reply, i highly appreciate the fact you’ve taken time out your day to reply. I will be sure to look into those colleges
Thanks a ton
Original post by Dakotaz
Oh, thanks for your reply, i highly appreciate the fact you’ve taken time out your day to reply. I will be sure to look into those colleges
Thanks a ton

ahhh they’re not colleges they’re actually yknow a part of a high school?
Original post by Dakotaz
Thanks so much for your advice, really appreciate it man👍🏽

Np! 😊
I wouldn't suggest going to Claremont for sixth form - they're pretty average and the facilities are rubbish and they treat you like a child rather than an adult (I went there so I'm privy to that information). They're good for GCSEs, but they know they're rubbish for A-level so they try to get the smart people to stay by offering stuff and having meetings with them however they know the students will leave anyway to go anywhere but there. I'm currently in St Dominic's and I love it there - you'll fit right in. Even though it's Catholic, the religion isn't that strictly imposed on everyone (we do morning prayer for every period 1 lesson but most teachers usually forget, and there's Friday mass which is optional, and RS but it's more based on society rather than religion).
ahhh they’re not colleges they’re actually yknow a part of a high school?

Ahah i know my bad shouldn’t of said colleges
Original post by chibichibi_xx
I wouldn't suggest going to Claremont for sixth form - they're pretty average and the facilities are rubbish and they treat you like a child rather than an adult (I went there so I'm privy to that information). They're good for GCSEs, but they know they're rubbish for A-level so they try to get the smart people to stay by offering stuff and having meetings with them however they know the students will leave anyway to go anywhere but there. I'm currently in St Dominic's and I love it there - you'll fit right in. Even though it's Catholic, the religion isn't that strictly imposed on everyone (we do morning prayer for every period 1 lesson but most teachers usually forget, and there's Friday mass which is optional, and RS but it's more based on society rather than religion).

Thanks so much for your reply it really does help me a lot as i have no knowledge about any schools in London. Ive recently confirmed a place in Bushey Meads and Hatch End. Whitmore have offered me a place but i really disliked the way they handled my interview. The lady saw my grades and said and i quote “This school needs this”. I was pretty shocked as my grades were only 7s and 6s. St Dominic’s will give me a reply on September 1st and i’m hoping to get a place. Nevertheless i’m real nervous to go school, i have no one at all hopefully it all goes well.

Once again thanks so much for your response👍🏽
Original post by Dakotaz
Thanks so much for your reply it really does help me a lot as i have no knowledge about any schools in London. Ive recently confirmed a place in Bushey Meads and Hatch End. Whitmore have offered me a place but i really disliked the way they handled my interview. The lady saw my grades and said and i quote “This school needs this”. I was pretty shocked as my grades were only 7s and 6s. St Dominic’s will give me a reply on September 1st and i’m hoping to get a place. Nevertheless i’m real nervous to go school, i have no one at all hopefully it all goes well.

good luck with yknow being in a whole new environment meeting new people and making new friends!!! ik that many people are going to be in the same situation as you in st dom’s, as it’s not connected to like a high school ((:
Original post by Dakotaz

Good luck! There are many people who enrol late at St Dom's so don't worry too much about it.

good luck with yknow being in a whole new environment meeting new people and making new friends!!! ik that many people are going to be in the same situation as you in st dom’s, as it’s not connected to like a high school ((:

Yep, we were all pretty much in the same boat. At first, a lot of people stuck with people that came from the same school, but once the term is in full swing, they drifted away and made friends with people that took similar subjects. It's quite easy to make friends, you just need to speak to people in your class and don't be shy as many of these people don't know who you are, including the teachers, who become very friendly and joke around a lot once they know you.
@chibichibi_xx
If a Muslim goes St Doms will it be fine?
I mean they r allowed obvs but u mentioned they do prayer and another thing? Yh wat do the Muslims do then?
@chibichibi_xx
I mean they r allowed obvs but u mentioned they do prayer and another thing? Yh wat do the Muslims do then?

i heard that they just don’t take part in it?? and yes ofc it’s fine many muslims go to st doms
@chibichibi_xx

Everyone is welcome. Morning prayer is just a formality and the teacher or a student just reads out the prayer email and that's it really. You won't really be exempt from morning prayer as it's really not that deep (I'm Hindu not Catholic and honestly I don't really care as it's really minor). You don't need to go to Friday mass (I know Catholics who don't because they really want their fish and chips more than anything).
Original post by chibichibi_xx
Everyone is welcome. Morning prayer is just a formality and the teacher or a student just reads out the prayer email and that's it really. You won't really be exempt from morning prayer as it's really not that deep (I'm Hindu not Catholic and honestly I don't really care as it's really minor). You don't need to go to Friday mass (I know Catholics who don't because they really want their fish and chips more than anything).

😂
But I’ll just ask to sit out
Coz I dontwanna take part in their prayer watsoever
😂
But I’ll just ask to sit out
Coz I dontwanna take part in their prayer watsoever

Ok but there's lots of people that don't want to participate (including me because I'm Hindu and I pretty much don't believe in any Christian beliefs), but it's literally the reading of one sentence - no proper praying such as holding hands or bowing heads (except in assembly where Andrew just says something and we just look to the floor really - like in primary school) so I just don't care, and teachers forget most of the time (apart from in RS). I usually have my headphones in and cover them with my hair because it's early morning and to be frank, even I don't want to listen to it - I do daily prayer in the comfort and quietness of my own home, and I've just travelled 45 minutes on sweaty cramped buses so the prayer is the least of my concerns. I dreaded the thought of daily prayer when we first started proper lessons because they emphasised it too much during induction and enrolment, but it's nothing like you'd expect.

Quick Reply

Latest