The Student Room Group

yr12 student acc on the verge of a breakdown

Hi guys, bit of background: im a year 12 student studying bio, chem& psych at alevel and I did my EPQ and got an A. GCSEs: (9)english lit, 8s in history&english lang, (7)bio&chem, (6)maths&physics, (5)computer science, and As in finance and ECDL(ICT thing)
I have a week of shadowing in a hospital in neurosurgey and 3 days of GP. i have other good things for my personal statement aswell but all of a sudden im just feeling really nervous about applications? we haven't got predicted grades till we get back in the september but im looking at unis like kings,UCL, and imperial & my UCAT is booked for the 25 of september so that's still a while away, but i just feel so nervous about the whole thing and i feel like my anxiety about it all sometimes even stops me from revising? I don't know everything just feels so uncertain and distant that im really worried and don't know what to do with myself
You have quite the Academic prowess and I believe that will play favorably for you. Your Personal statement will likely be read through by teachers and they can offer very good feedback so I don't think you should worry about that too much (write about achievements and your desire to study said topic)

Assuming how your GCSEs went and your EPQ, I believe you will likely be fine with your pred grades and even if they are a tad off, your teachers will likely take other factors into consideration. Even if you didnt hit the mark, clearing still can help and the A2s are much more decisive

I understand that your neurosurgery might be stressing but I believe you shouldnt worry too much. You will likely be fine and you'll recieve support all the way whether from teachers or family
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Volkerbund1933
You have quite the Academic prowess and I believe that will play favorably for you. Your Personal statement will likely be read through by teachers and they can offer very good feedback so I don't think you should worry about that too much (write about achievements and your desire to study said topic)

Assuming how your GCSEs went and your EPQ, I believe you will likely be fine with your pred grades and even if they are a tad off, your teachers will likely take other factors into consideration. Even if you didnt hit the mark, clearing still can help and the A2s are much more decisive

I understand that your neurosurgery might be stressing but I believe you shouldnt worry too much. You will likely be fine and you'll recieve support all the way whether from teachers or family

thank you for the first two paras man! the last one im a tiny bit confused. i just shadowed in neurosurgery, meaning I followed a neurosurgeon around for a week and watched in on surgeries for work experience for my personal statement haha :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by medapplicant2020
Hi guys, bit of background: im a year 12 student studying bio, chem& psych at alevel and I did my EPQ and got an A. GCSEs: (9)english lit, 8s in history&english lang, (7)bio&chem, (6)maths&physics, (5)computer science, and As in finance and ECDL(ICT thing)
I have a week of shadowing in a hospital in neurosurgey and 3 days of GP. i have other good things for my personal statement aswell but all of a sudden im just feeling really nervous about applications? we haven't got predicted grades till we get back in the september but im looking at unis like kings,UCL, and imperial & my UCAT is booked for the 25 of september so that's still a while away, but i just feel so nervous about the whole thing and i feel like my anxiety about it all sometimes even stops me from revising? I don't know everything just feels so uncertain and distant that im really worried and don't know what to do with myself

You're feeling overwhelmed, which is understandable. My son is starting med school in September, so he's just gone through all this. A couple words of advice (1) Stop thinking big picture. That's what has you feeling anxious. Break it down into manageable chunks by priorities. Your predicted grades are important, so if you have tests when you return to sixth form, focus on getting what you need.

(2) The unis you mentioned are, I think, BMAT schools. I assume you're also applying to UKAT schools? If you're mixing it up, that's fine. (My son only did the UKAT, because he wanted to know what his score was before choosing where to apply.) Practice online for these now. Any spare time you have, practice. My son only started practising about a month before his UKAT, and he did fine.

dw.Im in the same year as you and trust me teachers will help you through it.Your experience is really good and so are your grades so you have nothing to worry about!You put in alot of effort so it will all work out.Good luck
Original post by Tigermom
You're feeling overwhelmed, which is understandable. My son is starting med school in September, so he's just gone through all this. A couple words of advice (1) Stop thinking big picture. That's what has you feeling anxious. Break it down into manageable chunks by priorities. Your predicted grades are important, so if you have tests when you return to sixth form, focus on getting what you need.

(2) The unis you mentioned are, I think, BMAT schools. I assume you're also applying to UKAT schools? If you're mixing it up, that's fine. (My son only did the UKAT, because he wanted to know what his score was before choosing where to apply.) Practice online for these now. Any spare time you have, practice. My son only started practising about a month before his UKAT, and he did fine.

Thank you for this, and yeah i'm doing my UCAT because I'll be applying to kings which requires it but i also haven't picked a 4th uni yet so there's also that, I'll be doing the BMAT too but just in October. and yep tryna study for it as much as i can atm!
Original post by tamil fever
dw.Im in the same year as you and trust me teachers will help you through it.Your experience is really good and so are your grades so you have nothing to worry about!You put in alot of effort so it will all work out.Good luck

thanks man! how are you finding it all personally?
Reply 7
Im in the same year and i'll be applying for Dentistry and I am feeling EXACTLY the same as you!

I keep getting really anxious about UCAT, Personal Statement and how well I will do in my A levels and the anxiety just completely puts me off studying.

It's acc mad.
thanks man! how are you finding it all personally?

honestly i wanna cry.I'm not motivated at all,never have been and don't know where Im heading lol.And wasted year 12 because again I'm an unmotivated person.But its life so I'll see where it takes me and better start the motivation building now
Reply 9
Thank you for this, and yeah i'm doing my UCAT because I'll be applying to kings which requires it but i also haven't picked a 4th uni yet so there's also that, I'll be doing the BMAT too but just in October. and yep tryna study for it as much as i can atm!

You sound like you'll be fine -- really, try not to stress. Your teachers will guide you on your personal statement. Med schools want to know what you did, not what you observed though, so even if you just helped a patient sit up or you held the door open for someone, write about what you got out of that experience. Make sure your med school choices are tailored to your strengths. That's so important. A lot of kids miss out because they don't do this. So for example, your GCSEs are respectable, and if your UKCAT score isn't great, but you have a lot of volunteering experience, then apply to Keele. Others, such as Birmingham, stress GCSEs, and still others focus on UKCAT (Newcastle). One last thing: when practising for your UKAT, don't overlook practising for the SJT (Situational Judgment Test), which is part of the UKCAT. You're scored 1-4. I don't know of a med school who will consider a 4. Good luck!
I’m in a similar situation. I got really good gcses and was so confident with my everything, but after year 12 I’m predicted CCC with mocks coming up in 2 weeks to try and change it. I’ve barely done any revision over the summer as I have 0 motivation and absolutely hate my sixth form. I really don’t know what to do, I’m pretty sure I’ve blown my chances of going to a ‘good’ uni
thank you for the first two paras man! the last one im a tiny bit confused. i just shadowed in neurosurgery, meaning I followed a neurosurgeon around for a week and watched in on surgeries for work experience for my personal statement haha :smile:

Aha I understood what you meant. I felt that may have been stress inducing, even if just shadowing

Quick Reply

Latest