The Student Room Group

English Language Grade 2019!

I got my result back and i got a 5. This would be good for most people but before i was getting 6/7s and never anything below. It seems i’m not the only person with this issue. I need a 6 for college and i got a distinction in my speaking. I’ve noticed a lot of people saying they were predicted 4s and got grades like 8/9s. Has anyone else got a lower grade? and are you trying to get a remark? This also occurred with my literature exam ( i got a 4) and i worked really hard for it and was getting 7s before hand. This is really stressing me out.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by takemystress
I got my result back and i got a 5. This would be good for most people but before i was getting 6/7s and never anything below. It seems i’m not the only person with this issue. I need a 6 for college and i got a distinction in my speaking. I’ve noticed a lot of people saying they were predicted 4s and got grades like 8/9s. Has anyone else got a lower grade? and are you trying to get a remark? This also occurred with my literature exam ( i got a 4) and i worked really hard for it and was getting 7s before hand. This is really stressing me out.

omg omg omg. this is the exact same thing with me. i got a grade 6 for both language and literature and i know i did better, i honestly did so well i don’t believe that there is any way i got them grades and i am sending my exam off for them remarks, i’m going to send literature of first and then i will send language off because it’s very expensive to do so, but yeah i feel you, i am going through the same thing of just shock and feeling very annoyed, the people who were predicted low got very high and the people predicted decent high grades got so low. aqa has pissed me off this year and everything supports it, something is definitely not right here
Original post by zenab anwar
omg omg omg. this is the exact same thing with me. i got a grade 6 for both language and literature and i know i did better, i honestly did so well i don’t believe that there is any way i got them grades and i am sending my exam off for them remarks, i’m going to send literature of first and then i will send language off because it’s very expensive to do so, but yeah i feel you, i am going through the same thing of just shock and feeling very annoyed, the people who were predicted low got very high and the people predicted decent high grades got so low. aqa has pissed me off this year and everything supports it, something is definitely not right here

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! How do you get a remark? Like i’m trying through my school but they are basically ignoring us? Is there an easier way to get one? I’m so glad it’s not just me. I want to be a doctor one day and got 8s in maths and science. Just don’t want my english grade to be the thing stopping me!
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! How do you get a remark? Like i’m trying through my school but they are basically ignoring us? Is there an easier way to get one? I’m so glad it’s not just me. I want to be a doctor one day and got 8s in maths and science. Just don’t want my english grade to be the thing stopping me!

your literally the same as me, i want to do that too and also my school is ignoring me, but i think its because it’s a sunday and they may not be in school to sort the problem out. my school is the only thing that is stopping me from getting a remark and it’s annoying me because a lot of people have already sent their papers off for a remark. also, if you want to get a remark, go on twitter and message AQA because that’s the best way to reach them to request a review, i might do that because my school is really really annoying me now and they have been ignoring everyone messaging them
Original post by zenab anwar
your literally the same as me, i want to do that too and also my school is ignoring me, but i think its because it’s a sunday and they may not be in school to sort the problem out. my school is the only thing that is stopping me from getting a remark and it’s annoying me because a lot of people have already sent their papers off for a remark. also, if you want to get a remark, go on twitter and message AQA because that’s the best way to reach them to request a review, i might do that because my school is really really annoying me now and they have been ignoring everyone messaging them

we emailed my english teacher about an hour after i got my results and get nothing back so emailed the admin at my school at around 12 on friday. I just want to know if i’m getting remarked before i go for enrolment. Think i’m going to give it till Tuesday evening before getting more involved. I hope you get a remark and the grades you deserve. I heard something about the standardisation being really wrong this year. That’s probably the cause of this but i didn’t think it would end up affecting me.
we emailed my english teacher about an hour after i got my results and get nothing back so emailed the admin at my school at around 12 on friday. I just want to know if i’m getting remarked before i go for enrolment. Think i’m going to give it till Tuesday evening before getting more involved. I hope you get a remark and the grades you deserve. I heard something about the standardisation being really wrong this year. That’s probably the cause of this but i didn’t think it would end up affecting me.

same! i was gobbing on about it, but lowkey hoping it wasnt me but i guess it was. i was doing very well in class and now this grade put me off english which i sincerely loved. i wasn’t worried the slight ounce for english but now i am, i was more worried for maths nevertheless but the tables turned on me. this isn’t fair. it’s gcses, not mocks where they can just mess us around and not take us serious. a girl that sits on her ass all day, doesn’t listen to a word a teacher says gets a 9 in english and i am here, with a 6 while i worked my backside off, giving in extra homework every week to get a 6? hell no
Original post by failure4039
same! i was gobbing on about it, but lowkey hoping it wasnt me but i guess it was. i was doing very well in class and now this grade put me off english which i sincerely loved. i wasn’t worried the slight ounce for english but now i am, i was more worried for maths nevertheless but the tables turned on me. this isn’t fair. it’s gcses, not mocks where they can just mess us around and not take us serious. a girl that sits on her ass all day, doesn’t listen to a word a teacher says gets a 9 in english and i am here, with a 6 while i worked my backside off, giving in extra homework every week to get a 6? hell no

I didn’t go to English Revison every week and give up a friday in easter to get a 4 and a 5. i’m sorry but know for a fact that i worked harder than that. I’ve got lower than people who i know didn’t revise at all and it’s the most irritating thing. Just hoping it gets sorted out
I didn’t go to English Revison every week and give up a friday in easter to get a 4 and a 5. i’m sorry but know for a fact that i worked harder than that. I’ve got lower than people who i know didn’t revise at all and it’s the most irritating thing. Just hoping it gets sorted out

same, and the worst thing is that if you compare your grades to other people’s you get called jealous just because you know you did better than them, and that’s definitely NOT the case. your just being realistic because you know if they got a remark they would go down.
same, and the worst thing is that if you compare your grades to other people’s you get called jealous just because you know you did better than them, and that’s definitely NOT the case. your just being realistic because you know if they got a remark they would go down.

It just isn’t fair. This whole year needs a remark honestly. There are probably so many people in the same boat right now
It just isn’t fair. This whole year needs a remark honestly. There are probably so many people in the same boat right now

yeah, i want AQA to remark everyone’s exams honestly. like did they give the wrong grades to people i don’t understand? i don’t want to look down at my own self because of them and i know i won’t, just my stupid school who isn’t letting me get this process done any faster
yeah, i want AQA to remark everyone’s exams honestly. like did they give the wrong grades to people i don’t understand? i don’t want to look down at my own self because of them and i know i won’t, just my stupid school who isn’t letting me get this process done any faster

Maybe both you and @takemystress just weren't as good as you thought you were lmao. Teachers can be generous. I learnt that the hard way when I got a 7 for RS after never getting below a grade 9 in internally marked tests since the beginning of year 10. Oh well...
Original post by Tolgarda
Maybe both you and @takemystress just weren't as good as you thought you were lmao. Teachers can be generous. I learnt that the hard way when I got a 7 for RS after never getting below a grade 9 in internally marked tests since the beginning of year 10. Oh well...

I would understand, but i know i did better than a 5. And it wouldn’t matter if it wasn’t going to prevent me from reaching my dreams.
I would understand, but i know i did better than a 5. And it wouldn’t matter if it wasn’t going to prevent me from reaching my dreams.

No. You don't know that you did 'better than a 5'. That sounds arrogant. Are you an examiner or something?
No. You don't know that you did 'better than a 5'. That sounds arrogant. Are you an examiner or something?

I recommend you chill out. You shouldn't care if he sounded arrogant, because he has the right to feel in whatever way he can, as he wrote his exam and not you. It is completely true that the AQA marking system is flawed, and the same thing has happened to me as I was predicted two 7s for English Language and Literature, and came out with a 5 in Language and a 6 in Literature, so I am getting it remarked. So I suggest you keep your mouth shut before predicting someone else's academic ability even though you haven't got a clue, thank you very much.
Original post by PranPlays35
I recommend you chill out. You shouldn't care if he sounded arrogant, because he has the right to feel in whatever way he can, as he wrote his exam and not you. It is completely true that the AQA marking system is flawed, and the same thing has happened to me as I was predicted two 7s for English Language and Literature, and came out with a 5 in Language and a 6 in Literature, so I am getting it remarked. So I suggest you keep your mouth shut before predicting someone else's academic ability even though you haven't got a clue, thank you very much.

Thank you so much! I hope you get the grades you deserve!! I just don’t see why i got what i got when i spent ages working on quote booklets and going to every aid possible. I don’t believe my grade reflects the efforts i put in and that’s okay!
Thank you so much! I hope you get the grades you deserve!! I just don’t see why i got what i got when i spent ages working on quote booklets and going to every aid possible. I don’t believe my grade reflects the efforts i put in and that’s okay!

No problem man, I worked super-hard for Literature and I thought I was naturally bright for language and I came out with grades I didn't deserve. I go to a Grammar School as well, so this result was shocking for me.

Maybe you just flopped on exam day. It can happen. I only say this because I've had similar experiences and have faced similar words. The truth hurt for me, but I did reventually realise that I had to stop being an entitled little **** and know my place.

He might have written the answers on his paper, but he definitely doesn't know how well he did. The examiners who marked the paper do, and the marks they awarded indicate his level of attainment.

You don't deserve any grade, but you earn it. You earned the grade that you got, just as we all do.
(edited 4 years ago)

I spent about 14 hours on The sign of four. 20 hours on poems. 6 hours on Romeo and Juliet. 5 hours on exam technique, learning the criteria for a top grade. And still I got a 5 in literature. I’m certainly remarking that.
No problem man, I worked super-hard for Literature and I thought I was naturally bright for language and I came out with grades I didn't deserve. I go to a Grammar School as well, so this result was shocking for me.

I was top in my class in both Language and Literature. I’m not wanting to sound arrogant but my grades are now at the bottom. I don’t think it’s stupid to want a remark

Are you an idiot? If you have a fair examiner, then your grade isn’t a lottery. You won’t get completely inconsistent grades. There is criteria for every question which the examiners should follow when marking to allocate a mark for the question. I followed this criteria and I’m sure OP did too, so it should be impossible to get below a certain amount of marks. If you get a bad examiner who is rushing through papers, then you might not get a proper mark.

Quick Reply

Latest