The Student Room Group

Do my GCSE choices effect my chance of going to Oxford?

I would love to study English literature at Oxford university. However at GCSEs I studied combined science and didn’t take a foreign language. I recently received my results and got mostly 8s, however would me not taking separate sciences or a language limit my chances? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
Original post by ahpleasehelpme
I would love to study English literature at Oxford university. However at GCSEs I studied combined science and didn’t take a foreign language. I recently received my results and got mostly 8s, however would me not taking separate sciences or a language limit my chances? Any advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

Hola ahpleasehelpme,

Could you post your gcse profile as we are not entirely sure what you studied. Also it would be helpful to know your A-level choices.

Brasenose Admissions
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Hola ahpleasehelpme,

Could you post your gcse profile as we are not entirely sure what you studied. Also it would be helpful to know your A-level choices.

Brasenose Admissions

At A level I’m taking; English literature, English language, classical civilisation and still haven’t quite decided on my fourth.

At GCSE isn’t studied: English lit, English Lang, history, geography, music, media, higher combined science and higher maths.
As mentioned above, the information you've provided needs a bit of context (as in, your other GCSE choices).
I was formerly on track to apply for Cambridge; I did Combined Science at GCSE level (gained two 9s) and having spoken to people from the university, my choices did not hinder my application whatsoever. I also took 2 foreign languages, French (gaining an 8) and German (gaining a 9), however, depending on your course choice, it wouldn't necessarily be necessary for you to have taken one.

Officially, I know that the stance for Oxford is that you do not require a modern foreign language anymore. However, you must check the course requirements on the website to double check whether one is needed for your course.
I'd assume the same with sciences - if you were looking to do a scientific course there, it would change whether or not they expect a Triple qualification from you at GCSE level.
At A level I’m taking; English literature, English language, classical civilisation and still haven’t quite decided on my fourth.

At GCSE isn’t studied: English lit, English Lang, history, geography, music, media, higher combined science and higher maths.

Thanks. We don’t see your choices as a reason not to apply. It is helpful on the course to have studied another language but not essential.

Obviously, I can't speak on behalf of all subject courses, but provided you're looking to do a Humanities/Arts based subject at Oxford or something in this field, I would say those GCSE subjects would be suitably accepted, depending on what you achieved in them.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
Thanks. We don’t see your choices as a reason not to apply. It is helpful on the course to have studied another language but not essential.

Great, thanks for the advice.
Original post by ArcticChimera
Obviously, I can't speak on behalf of all subject courses, but provided you're looking to do a Humanities/Arts based subject at Oxford or something in this field, I would say those GCSE subjects would be suitably accepted, depending on what you achieved in them.

I achieved 8s in everything apart from science I got a 6 and maths a 5. Any thoughts?
As mentioned above, the information you've provided needs a bit of context (as in, your other GCSE choices).
I was formerly on track to apply for Cambridge; I did Combined Science at GCSE level (gained two 9s) and having spoken to people from the university, my choices did not hinder my application whatsoever. I also took 2 foreign languages, French (gaining an 8) and German (gaining a 9), however, depending on your course choice, it wouldn't necessarily be necessary for you to have taken one.

Officially, I know that the stance for Oxford is that you do not require a modern foreign language anymore. However, you must check the course requirements on the website to double check whether one is needed for your course.
I'd assume the same with sciences - if you were looking to do a scientific course there, it would change whether or not they expect a Triple qualification from you at GCSE level.

Thankyou. I’ve looked on the website and these choices of A levels are preferences for the course, my friend was accepted after studying these. Thanks for all your help.
I achieved 8s in everything apart from science I got a 6 and maths a 5. Any thoughts?

I'd say it's favourable you gained A*s in your humanities/creative subjects as that's what you're leaning towards course-wise. From personal experience, I have a friend who's currently applying to do Maths at Cambridge; he also had a solid set of results at GCSE (mostly 7s,8s,9s) with a 5 in English Lit. For his Year 12 predicted grades, he gained A*A*AA and is still a strong applicant. It really is worth getting in contact with one of the student recruitment officers or someone directly from the university to enquire, but, depending on what you gain in your A-Level predicted grade exams, it still seems like a solid set of results in favour of what subject you want to do. As I say though, best to check with Oxford themselves or someone affiliated with the uni.
I'd say it's favourable you gained A*s in your humanities/creative subjects as that's what you're leaning towards course-wise. From personal experience, I have a friend who's currently applying to do Maths at Cambridge; he also had a solid set of results at GCSE (mostly 7s,8s,9s) with a 5 in English Lit. For his Year 12 predicted grades, he gained A*A*AA and is still a strong applicant. It really is worth getting in contact with one of the student recruitment officers or someone directly from the university to enquire, but, depending on what you gain in your A-Level predicted grade exams, it still seems like a solid set of results in favour of what subject you want to do. As I say though, best to check with Oxford themselves or someone affiliated with the uni.

Thank you, that’s really helpful. I’ll email one of the student recruitment officers in Tehran morning and see what they’d advise.
Thank you, that’s really helpful. I’ll email one of the student recruitment officers in Tehran morning and see what they’d advise.

No problem! Good luck with everything, have confidence in what you end up doing because those are some very solid GCSE results. All the best if you do decide to apply & remember unis are primarily looking at A-Levels/predicted grades so you have a very good foundation to build upon.

I didn't do a language at GCSE and still got in!
Original post by EnglishStudent*
I didn't do a language at GCSE and still got in!

That’s great and has definitely raised my hopes! Congratulations! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending