The Student Room Group

Advice on A-level options for a history degree

Can you guys suggest some A-level subjects that would be useful for if I wanted to do a degree in history. Just list them if you want as I’d like some ideas for my third A-level (doing maths and history).
English is what immediately comes to mind
Original post by The_Atomix
English is what immediately comes to mind

Any others? Not the biggest fan of English.
What options do u have to choose from? Politics or economics r more rarer a levels. U also have socially and philosophy, these r not very commonly found to be taught I imagine. U can also try a language, that would be good
What options do u have to choose from? Politics or economics r more rarer a levels. U also have socially and philosophy, these r not very commonly found to be taught I imagine. U can also try a language, that would be good

And sciences will not hold u back from studying history by the way in case ur worried about that particular thing
Classical Civilisation, modern foreign language, classical language, Religious Studies & Ethics (extremely interesting), Philosophy, Sociology, Politics, Psychology, Economics and Ancient History. :rambo:
Reply 6
Original post by clarecassar
Can you guys suggest some A-level subjects that would be useful for if I wanted to do a degree in history. Just list them if you want as I’d like some ideas for my third A-level (doing maths and history).

Have a look on some uni websites and see what they require. RELIGIOUS STUDIES?
Psychology
And sciences will not hold u back from studying history by the way in case ur worried about that particular thing

Yeah, I was worried about that but thanks!

Ah that’s good, I can do all of them at my college.
Original post by Quick-use
Classical Civilisation, modern foreign language, classical language, Religious Studies & Ethics (extremely interesting), Philosophy, Sociology, Politics, Psychology, Economics and Ancient History. :rambo:

Thanks!
Original post by Scotney
Have a look on some uni websites and see what they require. RELIGIOUS STUDIES?

They just require History.
History + anything, most people I know did history English and politics, but I also know ones who did economics, biology, geography, classciv, and maths. Something like classciv or ancient history might be good
Reply 13
They just require History.

then just choose a subject you like. lol, literally anything. Biology? Chemistry? Physics? Sociology? Psychology? Business?
Any others? Not the biggest fan of English.

A MFL, Geography, psychology

Quick Reply

Latest