For those of you who've done a level computer science, whats it like?? Watch

Azimbrook1
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
ok, im more of a mathsy logical person, and im planning to do physics and maths a level (I love these subjects) .I really hate wordy subjects like english and i also hate subjects where you have to memorise alot of things. (btw, i also hate chemistry). I just wanted to ask, how much rot memorisation is ther in CS? how hard is it? is it ok if i have no coding experience and is it more of a subject where you have to understand or a subject where you have to memorise?
OR321
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did Wjec/Eduqas Computer Science. The theory is actually pretty straightforward and can be learnt easily but the coursework is pretty difficult and requires most of your time. Some advice would be to try and finish your coursework as quick as possible as you’ll then have a lot more time to revise for your actual papers
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Also I didn’t have any coding experience and in the coursework most of the marks comes from documentation, analysis etc so you should be fine
Azimbrook1
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
I did Wjec/Eduqas Computer Science. The theory is actually pretty straightforward and can be learnt easily but the coursework is pretty difficult and requires most of your time. Some advice would be to try and finish your coursework as quick as possible as you’ll then have a lot more time to revise for your actual papers
What stuff do you learn in the theory?
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Azimbrook1)
What stuff do you learn in the theory?
Lots of random crap tbh 😂 like, parts of the CPU, types of operating systems, artificial intelligence. WJec Has a really big specification so you could look into them now if you want, online
Azimbrook1
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
Lots of random crap tbh 😂 like, parts of the CPU, types of operating systems, artificial intelligence. WJec Has a really big specification so you could look into them now if you want, online
if its random crap, is computer science jusf rote memorisation?
OR321
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
if its random crap, is computer science jusf rote memorisation?
For me, I just found it easy to memorise facts from a textbook, but that’s how I revise for everything. For others, they say it helps to actually do their own research and understand the topic more. And by random crap, I meant there’s just a lot of content.
Dancer2001
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I did aqa. It’s quite easy but you might struggle if you have never done any programming before. It will take a bit of effort to start with, but if you’re decent at maths it shouldn’t be too hard.
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by OR321)
And I'd say the exact opposite lol.

Coursework is easy enough, the documentation is a bore but easy, and the coding took me like literally a day or two (I dropped one mark overall on the coursework, and this was on the documentation). This was due to my prior experience of coding- I had several years of it under my belt, so all coding I met on the course was very trivial. Especially helped on paper 1, where 15 mark questions took me a minute or two. Unfortunately didn't help much for paper 2 though!

The theory, on the other hand... Oof. A couple of topics were very difficult to grasp for me (got there in the end), and there WAS a lot of rote learning. Didn't enjoy theory at all, and spent most of my time on this. The theory paper has a fair bit of wordy questions and writing too, but everyone does bad on those lol

NB: I did AQA, which has a 2.5 hour exam that you do on a computer, where they ask you long programming questions (as well as a small more practical oriented theory section). Probably the better exam board if you're good at coding, as this paper is worth 40%.

So all in all, it depends entirely on the person and exam board as to how you'll find it.
Azimbrook1
Rep:
?
(Original post by MagnumKoishi)
And I'd say the exact opposite lol.

Coursework is easy enough, the documentation is a bore but easy, and the coding took me like literally a day or two (I dropped one mark overall on the coursework, and this was on the documentation). This was due to my prior experience of coding- I had several years of it under my belt, so all coding I met on the course was very trivial. Especially helped on paper 1, where 15 mark questions took me a minute or two. Unfortunately didn't help much for paper 2 though!

The theory, on the other hand... Oof. A couple of topics were very difficult to grasp for me (got there in the end), and there WAS a lot of rote learning. Didn't enjoy theory at all, and spent most of my time on this. The theory paper has a fair bit of wordy questions and writing too, but everyone does bad on those lol

NB: I did AQA, which has a 2.5 hour exam that you do on a computer, where they ask you long programming questions (as well as a small more practical oriented theory section). Probably the better exam board if you're good at coding, as this paper is worth 40%.

So all in all, it depends entirely on the person and exam board as to how you'll find it.
do you think it has less rote learing than biology
MagnumKoishi
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
do you think it has less rote learing than biology
I'd imagine so
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (19)
7.34%
They might tell the bully (26)
10.04%
I don't think they'd understand (42)
16.22%
It might lead to more bullying (93)
35.91%
There's nothing they could do (79)
30.5%

Watched Threads