The Student Room Group

Would you choose this alternative to University?

Following college, many students feel either pushed down the academic pipeline or that they're going to university despite not really knowing what they want to do with their lives.

If there was an option to undertake commercial pilot training over a three year course, and at the end of it you'd also have a degree, would you be interested?
The idea obviously being for you to become a commercial airline pilot.
Original post by mathperson
Following college, many students feel either pushed down the academic pipeline or that they're going to university despite not really knowing what they want to do with their lives.

If there was an option to undertake commercial pilot training over a three year course, and at the end of it you'd also have a degree, would you be interested?
The idea obviously being for you to become a commercial airline pilot.

Yh, I'd be interested.
Reply 2
Most people would be interested because of the travel, pay and prestige, but most people aren't cut out to be responsible for a jumbo jet and the safety of 100s of people.
Reply 3
Great!

Part of the funding for the course would be through a normal student loan from the SLC which you wouldn't have to start paying back until you are earning over the threshold, the rest would need to be funded on a secured loan (a loan secured against your parents house, for instance).

Would this still be of interest to you?

Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Yh, I'd be interested.
Reply 4
Original post by plainjayne1
Most people would be interested because of the travel, pay and prestige, but most people aren't cut out to be responsible for a jumbo jet and the safety of 100s of people.

Those not cut out can be weeded out in part through psychometric testing.
Reply 5
Great!

Part of the funding for the course would be through a normal student loan from the SLC which you wouldn't have to start paying back until you are earning over the threshold, the rest would need to be funded on a secured loan (a loan secured against your parents house, for instance).

How many parents would practically hand over their house so their kid could be a pilot because the kid doesn't really know what else to do with their lives?
Reply 6
How many parents would practically hand over their house so their kid could be a pilot because the kid doesn't really know what else to do with their lives?

But the course has to be paid for somehow, and a secured loan against a property is a very common method used in the aviation industry.
Reply 7
But the course has to be paid for somehow, and a secured loan against a property is a very common method used in the aviation industry.

So now we've hit the reason why most people dont go for pilot jobs. Not everyone's parents have a house or can pay towards their kids pipe dreams. Most parents haven't pushed their kids to get their pilots licence because most couldn't afford driving lessons.
Reply 8
So now we've hit the reason why most people dont go for pilot jobs. Not everyone's parents have a house or can pay towards their kids pipe dreams. Most parents haven't pushed their kids to get their pilots licence because most couldn't afford driving lessons.

We think we may be on to a way around this.
Would you go for it if it could all be paid for be an SLC loan?
Reply 9
We think we may be on to a way around this.
Would you go for it if it could all be paid for be an SLC loan?

If that could be done then it would be amazing, but doesn't it cost over 100k to become a pilot? I know easyjet were talking about apprenticeships at one point but I don't know much about them.
If that could be done then it would be amazing, but doesn't it cost over 100k to become a pilot? I know easyjet were talking about apprenticeships at one point but I don't know much about them.

Indeed it does cost a lot of money and it is a bigger commitment than a normal university loan (circa £36,000 for a 3 year course).
There is no way around the price unfortunately, but there are ways around how it is funded.
Bump

I'm not, I hate airports and planes
Great!

Well I'm not from a well off family, parents don't have a house they own, only cars and I highly doubt the latter has as much value as the former, so I guess I'd no longer be interested in that type of required loaning.
Original post by Jang Gwangnam
Well I'm not from a well off family, parents don't have a house they own, only cars and I highly doubt the latter has as much value as the former, so I guess I'd no longer be interested in that type of required loaning.

Read the rest of the thread, we think we've found a way around it.
Reply 15
Read the rest of the thread, we think we've found a way around it.

There isn't a way around it. You haven't posted one viable alternative to self funding .
There isn't a way around it. You haven't posted one viable alternative to self funding .

People from 'not-well-off' backgrounds 'self fund' university through the SLC.
The same principle will apply.

We do have a viable solution however I am unable to share due to being under an NDA.

If this is of interest to you, please send me a PM and I can add you to our mailing list.
Reply 17
Knew this was an advertisement. Geez.
What are the chances of a regular job at the end? Is there any kind of guarantee?
Original post by nexttime
What are the chances of a regular job at the end? Is there any kind of guarantee?

The same guarantees would exist for this course as with any kind of university course.

You'd get a degree while undergoing your pilot training, and take work experience as a pilot as part of the course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending