The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I emailed last week and they said I should hear by 24th at the latest but I have still not received anything. Checked all my mailboxes including spam, definitely no email. Wasn't it last year that there was an issue with the London centre being changed at the last minute? I am worried now.
Original post by NadaTadros
Yeah I have noticed this too, Sometimes they ask questions on joints and some organs in bio that arent in the spec. However I generally think its pretty good, especially with the past paper explanations. I do think that some of the practice qs are easier than the stuff that comes up in the past papers though

The questions about the joints n stuff r old spec now and won't come up. In fact alot of the content from pre 2014 won't acc come up such as those questions about beams and they ask u calculate the force on a certain side. I'm hoping this years paper is similar to last years but they have changed the spec again and most likely the style of questions they ask, I personally think the section 2 of the past few year like 2016 - 2018 have been pretty accessible than the past papers before this, they were wayy harder and less accessible. At the end of the day most likely case is that you aren't gonna finish the paper, so u need to prioritise questions and leave the maths and calc questions till the end cuz u don't want to spend 3 mins (trust me when ur in the hall doing the paper u won't even realise wether 3 mins has went past or not) on these questions and rush through the simple recall questions. Just build a strategy for section 1 n 2 and answer questions down the priority list. Personally for section 1, I tend to follow this routine, I do the critical thinking questions but not rush them and aim to get atleast 6 out of 10 but don't spend too long on a question, then I skim through all the problem solving questions trying to find easy data interpretation questions(these were common in the past few papers hopefully it still is) and then I move to the data analysis since u can still predict how long it will take and if u spend enough time u probs will get tk a conclusion. Then I finally leave the other problem solving questions to lost making sure to answer the easier questions first, since u don't really know if u will even be able to get it right or not, there is no certainty.
Original post by Mel242
I emailed last week and they said I should hear by 24th at the latest but I have still not received anything. Checked all my mailboxes including spam, definitely no email. Wasn't it last year that there was an issue with the London centre being changed at the last minute? I am worried now.

Im doing it in London too and I got an email the other day with the details. But I think some of them are wrong because it said they we needed to arrive by 8:45...even tho the exam starts at 10? I’m not sure if we do actually have to arrive that early or it was a mistake
Reply 63
Original post by Krunker482
The questions about the joints n stuff r old spec now and won't come up. In fact alot of the content from pre 2014 won't acc come up such as those questions about beams and they ask u calculate the force on a certain side. I'm hoping this years paper is similar to last years but they have changed the spec again and most likely the style of questions they ask, I personally think the section 2 of the past few year like 2016 - 2018 have been pretty accessible than the past papers before this, they were wayy harder and less accessible. At the end of the day most likely case is that you aren't gonna finish the paper, so u need to prioritise questions and leave the maths and calc questions till the end cuz u don't want to spend 3 mins (trust me when ur in the hall doing the paper u won't even realise wether 3 mins has went past or not) on these questions and rush through the simple recall questions. Just build a strategy for section 1 n 2 and answer questions down the priority list. Personally for section 1, I tend to follow this routine, I do the critical thinking questions but not rush them and aim to get atleast 6 out of 10 but don't spend too long on a question, then I skim through all the problem solving questions trying to find easy data interpretation questions(these were common in the past few papers hopefully it still is) and then I move to the data analysis since u can still predict how long it will take and if u spend enough time u probs will get tk a conclusion. Then I finally leave the other problem solving questions to lost making sure to answer the easier questions first, since u don't really know if u will even be able to get it right or not, there is no certainty.

How different do you think he new spec questions are gonna be from the pre 2016 papers?
Reply 64
Thanks NadaTadros and Mum.ac. I think I will phone them tomorrow. I don't even know my BMAT ID number or centre number! Do you know yours?
Original post by Mel242
Thanks NadaTadros and Mum.ac. I think I will phone them tomorrow. I don't even know my BMAT ID number or centre number! Do you know yours?

No problem! No I don’t, I’m guessing they’ll give it to us on the day. Please let us know what they say when you call :smile:)
Original post by Jon1:)
How different do you think he new spec questions are gonna be from the pre 2016 papers?

wayyyyy different from the pre 2016 papers. The questions i think are generally gonna be easier and more accessible assuming it is following the trend from the past few years. The old spec was just disgusting, but i guess they were studying different things in a levels n stuff too. I get the feeling that they are gonna make section 1 horribble, well i have it in a few days so lets hope things go well.
Reply 67
wayyyyy different from the pre 2016 papers. The questions i think are generally gonna be easier and more accessible assuming it is following the trend from the past few years. The old spec was just disgusting, but i guess they were studying different things in a levels n stuff too. I get the feeling that they are gonna make section 1 horribble, well i have it in a few days so lets hope things go well.

Samee I have it on Saturday and I'm so nervous! So you're thinking it's going to be more like the 2016-2018 papers?
Samee I have it on Saturday and I'm so nervous! So you're thinking it's going to be more like the 2016-2018 papers?

Yh probs with 1 or 2 new style questions slapped in as well cuz they said they are slightly changing things again, Im happy cuz I don't need a high score just need to get 12.0 or above for bsms cuz I am a contextual student, which lis like 2.0,2.0, 3A which is really gud but obz imma try my best and try to get 19.0 or above
Reply 69
Yh probs with 1 or 2 new style questions slapped in as well cuz they said they are slightly changing things again, Im happy cuz I don't need a high score just need to get 12.0 or above for bsms cuz I am a contextual student, which lis like 2.0,2.0, 3A which is really gud but obz imma try my best and try to get 19.0 or above

Ahh right right hope it all goes well for you! :smile: What do you mean new style Section 1 questions btw?
Ahh right right hope it all goes well for you! :smile: What do you mean new style Section 1 questions btw?

for problem solving section they always slap 1 or 2 completely new types of questions which you probs haven't seen before. see it like a new type of puzzle, crazy how they make them
Reply 71
How are people doing so far, what are your average grades for past papers?
How are people doing so far, what are your average grades for past papers?

I’ve found the past papers ok so far.....getting around 6/6.3 in each section , which I know will be unlikely in the actual exam due to exam stress/pressure.
How are all of you finding past paper scores? I’m taking mine on August 31st eek! 😬
Reply 73
Original post by Gashbash
I’ve found the past papers ok so far.....getting around 6/6.3 in each section , which I know will be unlikely in the actual exam due to exam stress/pressure.
How are all of you finding past paper scores? I’m taking mine on August 31st eek! 😬

Right so I'm in a really sticky situation here. I'm not sure why but I've been really struggling with section 1 - normally I a good student, and get top marks on school tests but I just can't seem to make my section 1 score budge???? They average around the 4's and the occasional 5? My section 2 is around the same as you so around 5-6 but I just can't seem to make my section 1 any better? Any tips?
Right so I'm in a really sticky situation here. I'm not sure why but I've been really struggling with section 1 - normally I a good student, and get top marks on school tests but I just can't seem to make my section 1 score budge???? They average around the 4's and the occasional 5? My section 2 is around the same as you so around 5-6 but I just can't seem to make my section 1 any better? Any tips?

Hi Jon1😊
How about trying TSA papers? I think they have helped me with section1
Here’s the link :-
https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/thinking-skills-assessment/tsa-oxford/preparing-for-tsa-oxford/
Good luck!
So how are people feeling about the exam :/?

Terrified 😧
Original post by Mel242

I got mine by email on Friday 23rd. Best to ring them?
Good luck!
Original post by tzouii
yo i’m going for august BmAt too and i’ve been working quite hard . I haven’t hit the 6 yet but mostly my scores are 4.6-5.4 is area. it’s been really difficult to improve eek and essay section has me wanting to end myself. it’s been alright but apparently the typical score is 5.0 is so would like to stand out a little even if it’s just getting higher than 5.5 i would be estatic !

That’s great that you’re scoring consistently well! The end is nigh....
Trying to do as many BMAT 700Qs as possible now....mocks are going ok but I know the stress of exam day will have a huge hearing on eventual marks for me 😧
Reply 78
Original post by Gashbash
Hi Jon1😊
How about trying TSA papers? I think they have helped me with section1
Here’s the link :-
https://www.admissionstesting.org/for-test-takers/thinking-skills-assessment/tsa-oxford/preparing-for-tsa-oxford/
Good luck!

It's not so much the critical thinking questions, but more the problem solving and data analysis that I get wrong - after I finish and review the paper, I know I could do them but maybe it's the time pressure thats stopping me from clearly thinking about the question. Any tips on data analysis or the problem solving?
It's not so much the critical thinking questions, but more the problem solving and data analysis that I get wrong - after I finish and review the paper, I know I could do them but maybe it's the time pressure thats stopping me from clearly thinking about the question. Any tips on data analysis or the problem solving?

I struggled much more than now on those too.... trying to do more Qs has helped.... under timed conditions.... I’m sorry I don’t have any other specific tips

Latest

Trending

Trending