myinnerthigh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I am planning on applying to medicine this October. For all the universities I want to apply to a 6 in English language is required and I got a 5. I did quite well in all my subjects though, should I still apply?
DGeorge13
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by myinnerthigh)
I am planning on applying to medicine this October. For all the universities I want to apply to a 6 in English language is required and I got a 5. I did quite well in all my subjects though, should I still apply?
If they are minimum requirements unfortunately you would be automatically rejected so your best option would be to retake or look at unis with a 5 requirement
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No, you'll be automatically rejected if you miss any requirements. There are plenty of applicants who will have a 6 in English Language and also did quite well in other subjects.

Either (1) apply to med schools only needing a 5 / have no requirements in English Language; or (2) retake your English Language GCSE.
myinnerthigh
Rep:
?
Okay, thank you
(Original post by DGeorge13)
If they are minimum requirements unfortunately you would be automatically rejected so your best option would be to retake or look at unis with a 5 requirement
myinnerthigh
Rep:
?
Okay, thank you
(Original post by ecolier)
No, you'll be automatically rejected if you miss any requirements. There are plenty of applicants who will have a 6 in English Language and also did quite well in other subjects.

Either (1) apply to med schools only needing a 5 / have no requirements in English Language; or (2) retake your English Language GCSE.
myinnerthigh
Rep:
?
If I decide to take a gap year, will I have to redo my UCAT
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If I decide to take a gap year, will I have to redo my UCAT
Interestingly someone has asked a very similar question this morning, my answer was:

Bottom line: you take the UCAT and BMAT the year before admission.

So if you are thinking of 2020 entry, you'll need to take UCAT (around now) and BMAT this year and apply to UCAS by 15th October 2019.

but if you are thinking of 2021 entry, you'll need to take UCAT (Summer 2020) and BMAT next year and apply to UCAS by 15th October 2020.

If you are applying for deferred entry, as long as you are applying in October 2019 you'll still need your UCAT score too; otherwise you can decide to take a gap year (i.e. defer yourself) and apply in 2020 for 2021 entry.

https://www.ucat.ac.uk/ucat/universities/

The UCAT is a compulsory entry requirement for our UK Consortium Universities and our non-UK Associate Member Universities. You are required to sit the test by 2 October 2019 if you are intending to apply for entry in 2020 (or deferred entry in 2021) to a relevant course listed below. UCAT results cannot be carried over from one year to the next.
username4839850
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
One of my friends resat her English Language GCSE to go from a C to a B in year 12. She's now going into second year medical school
myinnerthigh
Rep:
?
My only problem is that i’d have to take a gap year to resit which is a bit of an obstacle
(Original post by crazygoatlady)
One of my friends resat her English Language GCSE to go from a C to a B in year 12. She's now going into second year medical school
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
My only problem is that i’d have to take a gap year to resit which is a bit of an obstacle
Why? If oyu haven ot already applied, resit it in this next year and apply with a pending grade
myinnerthigh
Rep:
?
I didn’t know you could do that to be honest. Does that not negatively affect my application ?

(Original post by GANFYD)
Why? If oyu haven ot already applied, resit it in this next year and apply with a pending grade
username4839850
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Could you do it in year 13 and apply, it could be part of your conditional offer? But not 100% sure if they allow that, contact your choices. All I know is that you can still get into medical school with a C -> B resit if that offers you some reassurance. She goes to HYMS, they seemed most open regarding grades.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I didn’t know you could do that to be honest. Does that not negatively affect my application ?
No. If they can accept predicted A levels, I'm sure they can cope with a predicted GCSE!
They would, however, make achieving a particular grade (likely a B) part of the conditions of your offer
myinnerthigh
Rep:
?
Could you do it in year 13 and apply, it could be part of your conditional offer? But not 100% sure if they allow that, contact your choices. All I know is that you can still get into medical school with a C -> B resit if that offers you some reassurance. She goes to HYMS, they seemed most open regarding grades.
That actually does offer some reassurance, haha. It’s so annoying that this one annoying grace is such a big deal
myinnerthigh
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
No. If they can accept predicted A levels, I'm sure they can cope with a predicted GCSE!
They would, however, make achieving a particular grade (likely a B) part of the conditions of your offer
Okay, that makes sense. I’m going to try do that cuz i’d Iike to think other parts of my application are quite strong so maybe that will help. Thanks for all your help !!
username4839850
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Okay, that makes sense. I’m going to try do that cuz i’d Iike to think other parts of my application are quite strong so maybe that will help. Thanks for all your help !!
Please do contact specific unis to make sure they allow for the re-sit in year 13 beforehand
myinnerthigh
Rep:
?
Please do contact specific unis to make sure they allow for the re-sit in year 13 beforehand
Yep, will do
mass63
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi. if someone have grade 5 in English language GCSE and say grade 6 or above in English Literature; will the later compensate for the former if one to apply to universities who require grade 6 in English language?
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mass63)
Hi. if someone have grade 5 in English language GCSE and say grade 6 or above in English Literature; will the later compensate for the former if one to apply to universities who require grade 6 in English language?
No.
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by mass63)
A few may accept this (UEA that I know of allow an A in Lit to compensate for a B in Lang) but in general, no, you can not compensate for a lack of one grade with another
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (653)
33.64%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (823)
42.4%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (378)
19.47%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (87)
4.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed