The Student Room Group

English Language Grade 2019!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by failure4039
if you want to get a remark, go on twitter and message AQA because that’s the best way to reach them to request a review, i might do that because my school is really really annoying me now and they have been ignoring everyone messaging them

The only way to request a review is through your school.
I got a fckin 4!!!
Urghhhhh like I wasn’t even expecting that!
Coz the papers were good or just alright so
And that 4 was 3 marks above a 3 so I nestle got a 3!!!!wtf I’m not THAT dumb at English!
Urghhh anyway im retaking along with doing a levels
Hope I get 6 or 7!

Btw I’ve always been getting 5 and I really wanted a 6 which I’m sure I was gonna get!
Original post by Maximus 190
Are you an idiot? If you have a fair examiner, then your grade isn’t a lottery. You won’t get completely inconsistent grades. There is criteria for every question which the examiners should follow when marking to allocate a mark for the question. I followed this criteria and I’m sure OP did too, so it should be impossible to get below a certain amount of marks. If you get a bad examiner who is rushing through papers, then you might not get a proper mark.

I may be an idiot, but at least I know when to use 'number' instead of 'amount'. Wow. Maybe your examiner caught you out on this as well.

Also, marking criteria can be applied too generously by a student, which could distort their results when practising. Don't think that someone as inexperienced as a student will be able to apply it consistently and accurately.

This isn't about being fair or unfair. All examiners are rigorously checked with marking 'seeds' to ensure that they are marking properly.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Tolgarda
Also, marking criteria can be applied too generously by a student, which could distort their results when practising. Don't think that someone as inexperienced as a student will be able to apply it consistently and accurately.

Exactly. I have lost count of the number of students who come to tell me the exam board has ruined their life as they have looked at their script with the mark scheme and they definitely deserve lots more marks. If I then give the script to a teacher to look at the teacher invariably agrees pretty much with the exam board's marks. A combination of wishful thinking and not being that well qualified in the subject routinely cause students to overestimate the marks they deserve.

Some students are also very selective about remembering their internal grades - the good ones they 'deserve' but the poor ones are just 'aberrations' they ignore meaning they can have unrealistic expectations of success. I've got students this year complaining (e.g.) they 'only ' got a 6 and they should have done much better but if I look back at the school's past data they normally get a 3 or 4 and were predicted a 5.

Exams can be mismarked, but they are correctly marked the majority of the time.
Maybe both you and @takemystress just weren't as good as you thought you were lmao. Teachers can be generous. I learnt that the hard way when I got a 7 for RS after never getting below a grade 9 in internally marked tests since the beginning of year 10. Oh well...

first of all, you aren’t me and so you will not know whether i did good or bad and so this isn’t up to you to judge how hard I WORKED just because you think i didn’t get that grade i wanted because i thought i was too good for english. you do not know me or @takemystress so don’t jump to conclusions. maybe ask us how well we thought we did, our english teachers opinions on our results and then judge us, which you shouldn’t be doing in the first place anyways.
second, my school was very strict with the marking that they did for our mocks, looking at the boundaries would have had people like you in shock, so do not sit behind a screen and presume that our teachers were generous when you don’t even know us.
third of all, A LOT of students in english are also having this problem. if a lot of people are having a problem and are distraught by their grade because they think there is no way they got that, you should be NO ONE to judge that.
Original post by Compost
The only way to request a review is through your school.

they have other possible solutions. check their twitter
Original post by takemystress
I got my result back and i got a 5. This would be good for most people but before i was getting 6/7s and never anything below. It seems i’m not the only person with this issue. I need a 6 for college and i got a distinction in my speaking. I’ve noticed a lot of people saying they were predicted 4s and got grades like 8/9s. Has anyone else got a lower grade? and are you trying to get a remark? This also occurred with my literature exam ( i got a 4) and i worked really hard for it and was getting 7s before hand. This is really stressing me out.

I got 3 and distinction for my speaking at least you passed
first of all, you aren’t me and so you will not know whether i did good or bad and so this isn’t up to you to judge how hard I WORKED just because you think i didn’t get that grade i wanted because i thought i was too good for english. you do not know me or @takemystress so don’t jump to conclusions. maybe ask us how well we thought we did, our english teachers opinions on our results and then judge us, which you shouldn’t be doing in the first place anyways.

People will judge you by your actual exam result, not what an inexperienced student or biased practitioner might believe you 'deserve'. You got a 5. That's your grade.

second, my school was very strict with the marking that they did for our mocks, looking at the boundaries would have had people like you in shock, so do not sit behind a screen and presume that our teachers were generous when you don’t even know us.

The only way I'd be shocked is if the boundaries had 156/160 for a 9 lol.

I can presume that your teachers were generous because of the difference between your true result and your mock results, along with how surprised you seem to be at that difference. I don't have to know you to make this presumption. I have sufficient evidence.

third of all, A LOT of students in english are also having this problem. if a lot of people are having a problem and are distraught by their grade because they think there is no way they got that, you should be NO ONE to judge that.

Many students are just entitled and think they 'deserve' more when they usually don't.

I don't judge anything; the examiners do, and they do it well. Too bad kids think they know better and they 'deserve' more.
(edited 4 years ago)
I was predicted 4s in both and got an 8 in language and a 7 in lit lmao
I got my result back and i got a 5. This would be good for most people but before i was getting 6/7s and never anything below. It seems i’m not the only person with this issue. I need a 6 for college and i got a distinction in my speaking. I’ve noticed a lot of people saying they were predicted 4s and got grades like 8/9s. Has anyone else got a lower grade? and are you trying to get a remark? This also occurred with my literature exam ( i got a 4) and i worked really hard for it and was getting 7s before hand. This is really stressing me out.

My girlfiend was getting 9s in English Lit and Lang, she revised a **** load more than me for Lit (I got an 8, predicted a 9 though) and she got a 5 in English Lit (she was very disappointed), but the school is getting it remarked. I read somewhere that the mark scheme for Lit + Lang was very very complicated and hard to understand, forcing some markers to use the years before, meaning very skewed grades, aka some people who should have got high grades, got low, and some who should have got low got high instead. It is very unfair, but definitely seek a remark if you think it's wrong.
Just read up on the argument, @Tolgarda is 100% right lmao, you all sound like lil brats thinking you are owed the world. Maybe you did always get 8s or 9s in class but obviously not in the exam. If you want a remark, get a remark instead of bashing on everyone else’s ability who did better than you. Y’all need to chill out and grow the hell up lmao.
In 2016 and 2018 Ofqual did a study on gcses. The same paper was given to a normal examiner and a senior examiner. For english, it was concluded that 39% of the grades given were wrong. This was down to poor marking and inexperience. Also it came out about a month ago that the standardisation with English Language this year was unfair and shocking. So yes i would like to get my exam remarked. I just wanted to know if other people were in the same boat as me or if it was just my exam. Now that i know i’m definitely not the only person (this goes for exams that aren’t english as well) (people got lower grades than predicted in lots of areas). I will be pushing for a remark. Please stop assuming that i’m an entitled and wrong with my opinion. I know the effort i applied for my exams and the target grades that i was given and the grades i achieved. You did not take the exam for me and therefore can’t say that i am wrong or just plain rude. I worked incredibly hard for my gcses and my high grades in maths and all sciences prove this. I would just like to make sure my english grade is fair before stressing myself out more by retaking english in November. Thank You.
In 2016 and 2018 Ofqual did a study on gcses. The same paper was given to a normal examiner and a senior examiner. For english, it was concluded that 39% of the grades given were wrong. This was down to poor marking and inexperience. Also it came out about a month ago that the standardisation with English Language this year was unfair and shocking. So yes i would like to get my exam remarked. I just wanted to know if other people were in the same boat as me or if it was just my exam. Now that i know i’m definitely not the only person (this goes for exams that aren’t english as well) (people got lower grades than predicted in lots of areas). I will be pushing for a remark. Please stop assuming that i’m an entitled and wrong with my opinion. I know the effort i applied for my exams and the target grades that i was given and the grades i achieved. You did not take the exam for me and therefore can’t say that i am wrong or just plain rude. I worked incredibly hard for my gcses and my high grades in maths and all sciences prove this. I would just like to make sure my english grade is fair before stressing myself out more by retaking english in November. Thank You.

My goal was not to call you entitled nor wrong, it was how you treated others. If you feel you got the wrong mark and want a remark by all means I encourage it. The problem was with how you talked about others assuming they did no work and just lazed their way through the exam and got lucky. I’ve received mediocre grades in English for the entirety of the past two years but I know the work I put in, in the last few months and how that was really able to advance my grade. If you feel you have been cheated I encourage you to get a remark and hope you get the grade you really deserve based on your work, but that shouldn’t be achieved by degrading others to get yourself up.
they have other possible solutions. check their twitter

Their website says:
Only private candidates can submit a post-results service request to us directly. For all other students, please speak to your exams officer or teacher about your results.
Original post by deaesthe
I read somewhere that the mark scheme for Lit + Lang was very very complicated and hard to understand, forcing some markers to use the years before, meaning very skewed grades, aka some people who should have got high grades, got low, and some who should have got low got high instead. It is very unfair, but definitely seek a remark if you think it's wrong.

You are probably referring to the controversies in the media for English language only. There was a criticism with the standard of the 'top script' as a marking seed to check on the examiners' accuracy. Very little, if anything at all, related to the complexity of the mark scheme (which would imply that the previous examination series would have the same issue as the mark scheme remains constant). Only the standardisation scripts change, which is where the problem arose.

This 'issue' was an opinion (not a fact) of a SINGLE examiner on Twitter. It is impossible to fully know if there was a true fault with the standardisation script at all because the source of the complaint just wasn't comprehensive enough.

In 2016 and 2018 Ofqual did a study on gcses. The same paper was given to a normal examiner and a senior examiner. For english, it was concluded that 39% of the grades given were wrong. This was down to poor marking and inexperience.

A link to both inquiries into the GCSE marking would be nice. Was it really 39% on both occasions, or did you intentionally omit the findings of one of the inquiries?

Also it came out about a month ago that the standardisation with English Language this year was unfair and shocking.

It was only 'shocking' for one examiner who felt as though the senior examiners' top script for standardisation didn't deserve the mark it was awarded. The opinion of one examiner on Twitter doesn't make the marking process 'unfair' or 'shocking'.

So yes i would like to get my exam remarked. I just wanted to know if other people were in the same boat as me or if it was just my exam. Now that i know i’m definitely not the only person (this goes for exams that aren’t english as well) (people got lower grades than predicted in lots of areas). I will be pushing for a remark. Please stop assuming that i’m an entitled and wrong with my opinion. I know the effort i applied for my exams and the target grades that i was given and the grades i achieved. You did not take the exam for me and therefore can’t say that i am wrong or just plain rude. I worked incredibly hard for my gcses and my high grades in maths and all sciences prove this. I would just like to make sure my english grade is fair before stressing myself out more by retaking english in November. Thank You.

I can say that you are wrong and the examiner is right, unless you know more than them. I didn't write your answers, but the examiners saw them. Just because your maths and science grades imply that you worked incredibly hard, doesn't mean that your English grade should be as high or that you worked just as hard for English. Anyone can say that they 'worked incredibly hard'.
i came on here for comfort as it feels right now as if my dream is unrealistic and that i may have been led on to believe i can reach it. This thread has now left me feeling more confused. I has a rough month over gcses with a lot of personal family things going on around the time of my exams. I worked hard despite this and i left most of my exams feeling i’d done my best. I don’t believe the grades i saw on my paper are the grades i worked for in may/june. I’m sorry if i’ve been rude but it’s difficult to hear that i may never be able to do the thing i love. I understand the examiner should be trusted and that they know more than me. But with the statistics the government have released, I have to second guess it. Please can you stop making me seem like a brat. I just wanted to know if i was the only one and receive some comfort in knowing that i’m not. But it’s turned in to an argument i didn’t want.
I still want to hear people’s stories from this year. So please share!!! 🥰
Maybe you just flopped on exam day. It can happen. I only say this because I've had similar experiences and have faced similar words. The truth hurt for me, but I did reventually realise that I had to stop being an entitled little **** and know my place.

He might have written the answers on his paper, but he definitely doesn't know how well he did. The examiners who marked the paper do, and the marks they awarded indicate his level of attainment.

You don't deserve any grade, but you earn it. You earned the grade that you got, just as we all do.

I seriously think talking to you is a waste of time. People ‘earn their grade’ by REVISING for their exam so and doing past paper questions. Unless you have a mental breakdown during the exam, you can expect a grade depending on how well you wrote. If you don’t do as well as you hoped, you are completely entitled to question the exam board and request for a remark.
Original post by PranPlays35
I seriously think talking to you is a waste of time. People ‘earn their grade’ by REVISING for their exam so and doing past paper questions. Unless you have a mental breakdown during the exam, you can expect a grade depending on how well you wrote. If you don’t do as well as you hoped, you are completely entitled to question the exam board and request for a remark.

Tolgarda isn’t saying they shouldn’t get a remark, it’s how they’re going about it. They are pretty much demanding that grade which isn’t the way it works.
Original post by PranPlays35

You can expect a grade, but you do not 'deserve' it just because you expect it.

I never said students weren't entitled to challenge their grade (although I do believe that undergraduates are stripped of this privilege). I said that students don't deserve any grade. If there has been an error in the marking process, you should earn a different grade.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest