The Student Room Group

OCR and Edexcel Further Maths differences? (new spec)

Are there any differences in the Core Pure content between edexcel and OCR? Could you learn all the necessary content for the OCR Core Pure 1/2 modules from the edexcel textbooks?

What about the regular maths A-level?

I know that there is some difference in the optional modules, but was wondering if the edexcel textbooks would be sufficient at least for the pure side of things.

Thanks!
Reply 1
Original post by k92e67
Are there any differences in the Core Pure content between edexcel and OCR? Could you learn all the necessary content for the OCR Core Pure 1/2 modules from the edexcel textbooks?

What about the regular maths A-level?

I know that there is some difference in the optional modules, but was wondering if the edexcel textbooks would be sufficient at least for the pure side of things.

Thanks!

The core pure contents across the two specs are very similar but there are subtle differences within the topics. So I would recommend following an OCR textbook if you're learning OCR but using an Edexcel textbook for extra questions is fine.

For A Level maths the content is even more similar (apart from the large data set) so you could probably get away with using an Edexcel textbook to learn the OCR course.
Reply 2
Original post by Notnek
The core pure contents across the two specs are very similar but there are subtle differences within the topics. So I would recommend following an OCR textbook if you're learning OCR but using an Edexcel textbook for extra questions is fine.

For A Level maths the content is even more similar (apart from the large data set) so you could probably get away with using an Edexcel textbook to learn the OCR course.

Thanks a lot. Is there any document you know of that highlights these subtle differences? I could always read both specifications closely if not.
Reply 3
Original post by k92e67
Thanks a lot. Is there any document you know of that highlights these subtle differences? I could always read both specifications closely if not.

Sorry I'm not aware of one. Reading the specs alone doesn't always work because the textbook will go into more detail that will be in one spec but not the other. The content is so similar because all exam boards follow the "prescribed" content given to them by the government:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/515123/gce-subject-level-conditions-and-requirements-for-further-mathematics.pdf

But exam boards can interpret topics in different ways e.g.

"Use matrices to represent linear transformations in 2-D"

OCR includes shears but Edexcel doesn't. That's just one example off the top of my head but there are others.
Reply 4
Original post by Notnek
Sorry I'm not aware of one. Reading the specs alone doesn't always work because the textbook will go into more detail that will be in one spec but not the other. The content is so similar because all exam boards follow the "prescribed" content given to them by the government:

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/515123/gce-subject-level-conditions-and-requirements-for-further-mathematics.pdf

But exam boards can interpret topics in different ways e.g.

"Use matrices to represent linear transformations in 2-D"

OCR includes shears but Edexcel doesn't. That's just one example off the top of my head but there are others.

I see. If the specifications aren't enough then how can you tell what exactly can be tested, since there is no single official OCR textbook? I suppose that the endorsed textbooks will be good enough then.
Reply 5
Original post by k92e67
I see. If the specifications aren't enough then how can you tell what exactly can be tested, since there is no single official OCR textbook? I suppose that the endorsed textbooks will be good enough then.

Any of the endorsed textbooks are fine. They are written not only based on the online spec but in consultation with the exam board. Personally I prefer the Cambridge books (for OCR). I really don’t like any of the Hodder textbooks.

Quick Reply

Latest