The Student Room Group

Access to HE diploma course

Do universities see access course students to be inferior to a level students?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cccacademicx

I got offers from top universities, they just took longer to give the offers out. They will more than often interview Access course students than they would for A-level students as stated on some university websites.

The course is the same level as an A level (level 3).

Universities should not find someone who completed an access to HE course 'inferior', they are designed to prepare people for University anyway! :smile:

I hope this helps! :lep:

Patrick
Original post by ElNiñoo
I got offers from top universities, they just took longer to give the offers out. They will more than often interview Access course students than they would for A-level students as stated on some university websites.

That's amazing, well done. Which access course did you study? And if you don't mind me asking what degree/ universities did you apply for and get into? I'm just scared I won't get into my dream university as the course isn't as "traditional" as A-Levels
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
The course is the same level as an A level (level 3).

Universities should not find someone who completed an access to HE course 'inferior', they are designed to prepare people for University anyway! :smile:

I hope this helps! :lep:

Patrick

I guess i'm just scared because they aren't as traditional, but yes it does thank you!
I guess i'm just scared because they aren't as traditional, but yes it does thank you!

You are welcome. If you need any more help please just let us know.

Dom :h:
I did Access to Law at Park Lane College in Leeds and went to Leeds Uni for my LLB. I definitely wasn't disadvantaged as I got offers from other high ranking Unis too. Make sure you knuckle down and get distinctions in your assignments and you'll be fine :smile:
That's amazing, well done. Which access course did you study? And if you don't mind me asking what degree/ universities did you apply for and get into? I'm just scared I won't get into my dream university as the course isn't as "traditional" as A-Levels

i studied an Access to HE: Biomedical Sciences. I got offers to study Biomedical Sciences from Bath, Warwick and Nottingham to just name a few.
(edited 4 years ago)
So when I did my Access course in Engineering, and was applying to university, I found different unis had vastly different views on the course. I got into a Leeds, on a course at the time ranked I think 1 or 2 for the subject, but Sheffield wanted me to do A Level Maths and get an A as well as doing Access!

I also found that universities tended to interview Access students more often than A level students.

Oh, and when the course started, there were extra maths classes to get everyone to the same level that were offered to Access students (we could choose if we thought they would be useful or not), but the for BTEC students they were compulsory. The A Level students weren't offered them. Because of that, my guess is that the university views A level students to be the most able, then Access, then BTEC, at least in maths.
Original post by Duane2501
I did Access to Law at Park Lane College in Leeds and went to Leeds Uni for my LLB. I definitely wasn't disadvantaged as I got offers from other high ranking Unis too. Make sure you knuckle down and get distinctions in your assignments and you'll be fine :smile:

Law at Leeds uni is exactly what I want to do, this gave me a huge confidence boost thank you and well done too!!
Law at Leeds uni is exactly what I want to do, this gave me a huge confidence boost thank you and well done too!!

Awesome, you'll love it. Good luck!
Reply 11
I don't think so. I just did an access to social science course and got into a good uni with 45 credits at distinction ,I didn't need an interview.

Yes.
Original post by Notoriety
Yes.

Why do you say this?
Why do you say this?

It's a much easier course compared to A-Levels and IB. Very difficult to get into the top unis with it.
Original post by Notoriety
It's a much easier course compared to A-Levels and IB. Very difficult to get into the top unis with it.

How do you know its harder to get into top unis with it? Given I achieve distinctions and meet their entry requirements? I also have a strong gcse profile
How do you know its harder to get into top unis with it? Given I achieve distinctions and meet their entry requirements? I also have a strong gcse profile

Meeting the entry requirements, even at A-Level, is not enough for an offer for the top unis. For Access, it's even less relevant. The type of student good enough to get into KCL for law is going to breeze through the course with all distinctions.

The problem with Access is really twofold: 1) the course is not that difficult, formally only gets you AAA (whereas the top courses ask for A*AA), and in practice 45/45 is probably about BBB (given there are people who fail GCSEs and a year later suddenly manage 45/45); and 2) the course is too short, you don't have reliable predictions as to the grades you're tracking at when you're applying to the top unis.
Notoriety IS right that access courses are easier in a sense.
But it's not that simple.
But you can get into top universities with an access course.

If you are a mature student who has been out of education for a fair amount of time then an access course is often very challenging. Especially when you have other commitments. Most universities recognise this.
What's really harder 1: doing A-levels in your parents house with no responsibilities or 2: running a house and working full-time while doing an access course?

That being said there are a few people who either fail a-levels or don't have the grades for a-levels who decide to use the access course as a means to get into university. Which is not really what they are designed for.
Universities do not look as kindly on people who are like 19 years old who have never been out of education and are just doing an access course as an easier alternative.

So with access courses universities don't just take into account the access course but also the person.
They still get offers but unless they have extenuating circumstances they often don't get treated as equally as a-level students.
Original post by adam271
Notoriety IS right that access courses are easier in a sense.
But it's not that simple.
But you can get into top universities with an access course.

If you are a mature student who has been out of education for a fair amount of time then an access course is often very challenging. Especially when you have other commitments. Most universities recognise this.
What's really harder 1: doing A-levels in your parents house with no responsibilities or 2: running a house and working full-time while doing an access course?

That being said there are a few people who either fail a-levels or don't have the grades for a-levels who decide to use the access course as a means to get into university. Which is not really what they are designed for.
Universities do not look as kindly on people who are like 19 years old who have never been out of education and are just doing an access course as an easier alternative.

So with access courses universities don't just take into account the access course but also the person.
They still get offers but unless they have extenuating circumstances they often don't get treated as equally as a-level students.

It is more that most unis cannot afford to be that picky, and don't care if you got ABB or 45/45 at distinction. They want bums on seats. I think when people mention "I went to a top uni with Access" (as has happened in this thread) they tend to be talking about unis which are not super-competitive. RG does not mean elite.

Access might be more difficult as a personal experience compared to A-Level. A lot of assignments in a short period of time. But the uni is not so interested in which had a more intense experience. They want to know who has the best academic potential. The student who has studied the more academic course has an easier time expressing that potential.

And I never said you cannot get into a top uni with Access. I said it's more difficult with Access.
(edited 4 years ago)
I agree with you.

I'd also say a lot of mature students would prefer to do A-levels but it's not really an option.
Sitting as an external candidate is not covered by any funding and it is a huge pain in the ass.
Colleges insist on pushing access courses. They do not want mature students to do A-levels.

I think this may change in the future but it is what it is at the moment.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending