The Student Room Group
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website

Going to Aston for a year...what's it like?

Didn't get into my top choice uni so I got into Clearing to Aston. I am heavily considering re-taking my A-Levels during my first year so I can move on.

However, I just want to clear a few things before I am making the right decision. My friends say the people there are 'chavy' and theres a lot of 'tossers' as well. My school was full of them and I'd hate to go to the exact same place for another year :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by WelpThisIsSad
Didn't get into my top choice uni so I got into Clearing to Aston. I am heavily considering re-taking my A-Levels during my first year so I can move on.

However, I just want to clear a few things before I am making the right decision. My friends say the people there are 'chavy' and theres a lot of 'tossers' as well. My school was full of them and I'd hate to go to the exact same place for another year :frown:

What course are you going for?

Imo I would resit.
Lakeside residences
Aston University, Birmingham
Birmingham
Visit website
Original post by sma99
What course are you going for?

Imo I would resit.

Computer Science :smile:
It’s not a bad uni
What did u get for alevels and what did U need
Reply 5
Aston was among the top unis like 15 years ago, interesting how it plummeted down hard.
The ranking ain't too bad and I am sure the facilities there are excellent. I just don't want to be with other people who don't really wanna be there.
Are you changing unis after 1 year?
Reply 8
Aston has gone down tbf from where it was.

You may have a range of students there some keen some not so keen.

Whereas at a high established Russell group you may have more ‘keen people’

I would resit if you don’t really want to go to Aston and you think you can do better in your a levels this year

mostly asians and black Brits.
Original post by Sharemine
What did u get for alevels and what did U need

ADD : (
ADD

I say best to repeat because of the Ds but idk wish you the best :smile:
But I'm also torn as A-Levels were stressful enough... I'm just worried about the people going there and whether I will fit in or not.
But I'm also torn as A-Levels were stressful enough... I'm just worried about the people going there and whether I will fit in or not

What do you mean about the people ,
What do you mean about the people ,

What’s your ethnicity
What’s your ethnicity

Chinese x
Chinese x

u will find your people, dw about it. The least u can do is to try it out, they may be an asian and Chinese societies so u can meet them.
I know... I just don't like dealing with roadmen and chavs.
My sister did computer science with maths at Aston. She said it was great. Loved the course and made friends there. They're also really good with careers and employability because they've got lots of connections with employers.
Reply 19
Original post by Anonymous
My sister did computer science with maths at Aston. She said it was great. Loved the course and made friends there. They're also really good with careers and employability because they've got lots of connections with employers.

do u know if they have good connections with law firms?

Quick Reply

Latest