The Student Room Group

English Language Grade 2019!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ArabLlama
Tolgarda isn’t saying they shouldn’t get a remark, it’s how they’re going about it. They are pretty much demanding that grade which isn’t the way it works.

And I disagree with him about what he said.
Original post by Tolgarda
You can expect a grade, but you do not 'deserve' it just because you expect it.

I never said students weren't entitled to challenge their grade (although I do believe that undergraduates are stripped of this privilege). I said that students don't deserve any grade. If there has been an error in the marking process, you should earn a different grade.

Your opinion is incredibly flawed. Why the hell are you even a ‘Study Forum Helper’? You don’t deserve that role. Instead of encouraging people and wishing them good luck to get the grades they want, you’ve been an unsupportive, obnoxious little brat telling people that you can tell ‘deserve’ the grade which is totally untrue. If you put in more hard work than someone else and they haven’t revised at all, and they get a 9 in a subject and you get a 5, you have the right to feel so very upset about your achievements compared to theirs. This has happened in my school where I have consistently gotten betterment grades than my peers and when it came to the actual GCSEs, I have underperformed compared to them, meaning I have the right to feel that the grades I have received aren’t subject to the hard work I hard put in before my GCSEs, further meaning that I didn’t deserve to EARN this grade, but that I DESERVED a better grade.
Original post by PranPlays35
Your opinion is incredibly flawed. Why the hell are you even a ‘Study Forum Helper’? You don’t deserve that role. Instead of encouraging people and wishing them good luck to get the grades they want, you’ve been an unsupportive, obnoxious little brat telling people that you can tell ‘deserve’ the grade which is totally untrue. If you put in more hard work than someone else and they haven’t revised at all, and they get a 9 in a subject and you get a 5, you have the right to feel so very upset about your achievements compared to theirs. This has happened in my school where I have consistently gotten betterment grades than my peers and when it came to the actual GCSEs, I have underperformed compared to them, meaning I have the right to feel that the grades I have received aren’t subject to the hard work I hard put in before my GCSEs, further meaning that I didn’t deserve to EARN this grade, but that I DESERVED a better grade.

I have this role because I have helped many students in the past with GCSE English. More than you may think. I am stern but fair, this comes through not only in my help, but also in my overall attitude. But okay...

You deserved to earn that grade. If you underperformed, you underperformed! I've underperformed before. You may have your grades compared to your peers, and sorry to say, theirs will be deemed superior. I've had it before, and I've just moved on. I'm sorry, but you don't DESERVE any grade. You're not owed it by anyone. That is entitlement! You get what you EARN, and you EARNED the results you got.

Also, who the hell are you to suggest that they didn't work as hard as you to get their results? They probably worked harder, but you just don't know it.

I may sound harsh here, but I do feel that sometimes a little does of reality does help.
(edited 4 years ago)
I may be an idiot, but at least I know when to use 'number' instead of 'amount'. Wow. Maybe your examiner caught you out on this as well.

Also, marking criteria can be applied too generously by a student, which could distort their results when practising. Don't think that someone as inexperienced as a student will be able to apply it consistently and accurately.

This isn't about being fair or unfair. All examiners are rigorously checked with marking 'seeds' to ensure that they are marking properly.

A small mistake like that isn’t going to drop me 20 marks.
Part of me does think that I must have just done poorly in the exam. However I know that I followed the criteria, I remembered loads of quotes and inserted them throughout my essays. I made good points that weren’t far fetched. I did everything I needed to get a 7 at least.
A grade 7 is only in the top 20 something % of candidates. If everyone was marked accurately then I would easily have easily gotten a 7. Most people at my school can’t even be bothered to learn more than 5 quotes and yet some of them got 7’s and 8’s.
If they don’t remember quotes then they can’t analyse anything on one of the questions which you aren’t given any extract. And on the questions with extracts you will only get a low grade if you only refer to the extract.
I have this role because I have helped many students in the past with GCSE English. More than you may think. I am stern but fair, this comes through not only in my help, but also in my overall attitude. But okay...

You deserved to earn that grade. If you underperformed, you underperformed! I've underperformed before. You may have your grades compared to your peers, and sorry to say, theirs will be deemed superior. I've had it before, and I've just moved on. I'm sorry, but you don't DESERVE any grade. You're not owed it by anyone. That is entitlement! You get what you EARN, and you EARNED the results you got.

Also, who the hell are you to suggest that they didn't work as hard as you to get their results? They probably worked harder, but you just don't know it.

I may sound harsh here, but I do feel that sometimes a little does of reality does help.

How do you know that we underperformed without actually knowing how well we think we did in that exam? I went to English Tuition and was constantly revising and I KNOW my peers were meeting up and going to restaurants during GCSE time. Therefore I KNOW I DO NOT DESERVE THE GRADE I GOT and I am confident (with the help of God) the grade will change to suit my hardwork after the remark is complete. Furthermore I go to a Grammar School and before you say ‘A Grammar school means nothing’ the level of quality teaching I got was too high to get the grade I received and I know that the grade I received, I didn’t earn and I didn’t let down my teachers for all Yh was hardwork I put in. Now if you excuse me, please stop replying with some stupid concepts and continue ‘helping students with their GCSE English’ thank you very much.
How do you know that we underperformed without actually knowing how well we think we did in that exam? I went to English Tuition and was constantly revising and I KNOW my peers were meeting up and going to restaurants during GCSE time. Therefore I KNOW I DO NOT DESERVE THE GRADE I GOT and I am confident (with the help of God) the grade will change to suit my hardwork after the remark is complete. Furthermore I go to a Grammar School and before you say ‘A Grammar school means nothing’ the level of quality teaching I got was too high to get the grade I received and I know that the grade I received, I didn’t earn and I didn’t let down my teachers for all Yh was hardwork I put in. Now if you excuse me, please stop replying with some stupid concepts and continue ‘helping students with their GCSE English’ thank you very much.

Someone sounds a little bitter. You earn the grade you receive. Did you not say that you underperformed compared to your peers? Maybe not in general, so I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

Still, maybe your peers are just more intelligent than you. And just because they were at restaurants, it doesn't mean they weren't revising EFFICIENTLY. Some people can learn the same content in two hours while someone would need double the time to learn the same content. They earned superior grades.

Sorry if the truth hurts.
Someone sounds a little bitter. You earn the grade you receive. Did you not say that you underperformed compared to your peers? Maybe not in general, so I'm sorry if I gave that impression.

Still, maybe your peers are just more intelligent than you. And just because they were at restaurants, it doesn't mean they weren't revising EFFICIENTLY. Some people can learn the same content in two hours while someone would need double the time to learn the same content. They earned superior grades.

Sorry if the truth hurts.

I will talk to you after the remark. You will be proven wrong.
Original post by Maximus 190
A small mistake like that isn’t going to drop me 20 marks.

Looking ar the bigger picture, you don't know how many errata there were on that exam paper. This is just one example.
Original post by Maximus 190
Part of me does think that I must have just done poorly in the exam. However I know that I followed the criteria, I remembered loads of quotes and inserted them throughout my essays. I made good points that weren’t far fetched. I did everything I needed to get a 7 at least.
A grade 7 is only in the top 20 something % of candidates. If everyone was marked accurately then I would easily have easily gotten a 7. Most people at my school can’t even be bothered to learn more than 5 quotes and yet some of them got 7’s and 8’s.
If they don’t remember quotes then they can’t analyse anything on one of the questions which you aren’t given any extract. And on the questions with extracts you will only get a low grade if you only refer to the extract.

That part of you is probably correct.

You can get a grade 7/8 if your analysis with minimal quotes is of sufficient quality.

I barely revised any quotes and I got through it easily. It's not about how many quotes are in those essays.

You feel as though you made good points, but that's how you feel, and not the examiner. Just because you don't get the grade you believe you're entitled to, it does not mean that the marking's inaccurate.
(edited 4 years ago)
I will talk to you after the remark. You will be proven wrong.

Haha, go on. I'll be waiting.

Sure thing, Voldemort!

I’ll let you know how my remarks go too :smile:
I didn’t start this thread for people to start an argument that was unneeded. It kinda repelling that the human race lives on getting others down in order to make themselves feel better. Please stop the disagreement. It was started as i believe the grade i was given this year did not represent the hard work and effort i’ve applied over the past two years. Please do not come here and make me feel little by saying that i’m a brat and i think i’m entitled. I spent hours of my life making revision resources and going to revision sessions and it’s led to a grade in which does not show the ability i know i can work at. I want to be a doctor one day and a 5 in English Language may be the thing that prevents me from this. So i do apologise for being defensive as i didn’t mean to sound rude. Thank you for advice and tips and i will be hoping to get a remark.
Um not to pick a side or anything but English is a very difficult subject to mark as many examiners perceive and interpret things differently. That being said, maybe your teachers techniques were not what your examiner liked? In my case my teacher understood this and marked incredibly strictly, I usually got 7s and an 8 once but ended up with 9s. At the end of the day, a number of things may have gone wrong for you to get this grade, all you can do now is remark and hope for someone more lenient, and who knows maybe you’ll be one of those 4 to 8 remark stories.
Original post by Compost
Their website says:
Only private candidates can submit a post-results service request to us directly. For all other students, please speak to your exams officer or teacher about your results.

well twitter said something else when students want to contact directly
Original post by Zaratomaa
Um not to pick a side or anything but English is a very difficult subject to mark as many examiners perceive and interpret things differently. That being said, maybe your teachers techniques were not what your examiner liked? In my case my teacher understood this and marked incredibly strictly, I usually got 7s and an 8 once but ended up with 9s. At the end of the day, a number of things may have gone wrong for you to get this grade, all you can do now is remark and hope for someone more lenient, and who knows maybe you’ll be one of those 4 to 8 remark stories.

I think i needed to hear this. My teacher was incredibly kind and warm. However this was probably a disadvantage. I didn’t realise that maybe it was him overmarking that’s led to me not improving. However school do have standardisation with the marking of mocks. At least mine did. I hope my grade was just a strict examiner or something. Thank you though.
Original post by takemystress
I think i needed to hear this. My teacher was incredibly kind and warm. However this was probably a disadvantage. I didn’t realise that maybe it was him overmarking that’s led to me not improving. However school do have standardisation with the marking of mocks. At least mine did. I hope my grade was just a strict examiner or something. Thank you though.

Don't worry, just pray to God, that's what I am doing, I am hoping for a 7 in literature and a 6 in language, as I need it for LSE.
Don't worry, just pray to God, that's what I am doing, I am hoping for a 7 in literature and a 6 in language, as I need it for LSE.

I’m not a religious person but quite honestly it feels like something i may be doing. I hope you get the grades you need and i wish you luck x
People will judge you by your actual exam result, not what an inexperienced student or biased practitioner might believe you 'deserve'. You got a 5. That's your grade.

The only way I'd be shocked is if the boundaries had 156/160 for a 9 lol.

I can presume that your teachers were generous because of the difference between your true result and your mock results, along with how surprised you seem to be at that difference. I don't have to know you to make this presumption. I have sufficient evidence.

Many students are just entitled and think they 'deserve' more when they usually don't.

I don't judge anything; the examiners do, and they do it well. Too bad kids think they know better and they 'deserve' more.

Sorry? i got a 6. Can you read properly? People will not judge you by your actual exam result. YOU will though. That's the difference. Don't say 'people' when its only you. People around you like your teachers will judge you on your records in your class and how well you've done in class, have you been putting in effort into your homework and how well you were doing up till your exam. They will judge you like that. NOT by your grade unless they don't know you, but even then people will ask you how your performance was in class. How on earth are you a study forum helper when all you do is put others down and tell them to accept a grade, when potentially they could get it remarked and get a better grade. You are literally talking as if no one deserves a remark or a review of their work. What i would recommend you to do is act like the title your given, and help students rather than put them down. Many many students have come out with much better grades after remarks, and we can be potentially be one of them.
Also, i recommend you stop saying 'lol', nothing here is funny and we are rather serious.. You clearly think its a joke if your laughing out loud about this issue, while putting us down at the same time.
Did i say i was ungrateful for the grade i got? people would die for this grade in English and by NO MEANS am i saying that a grade 6 is bad, but if i know i did better, as well as my marks being inconsistent, teachers opinions, news reports supporting me, and even an examiner saying that standardisation scripts are everywhere, your opinion is worth crumbs, but i chose to reply to you to show that the way you see everything is not how everyone else does.
Too bad you think 16 year old's are kids. what are you then, a child? People get remarks and come out with much better grades, you need to accept the fact that this happens and also accept the fact that people think they did better. Clearly you cant.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by takemystress

Maybe so! I found myself praying to have a nice examiner bc I’ve always felt getting a grade in eng is always a little of a gamble, it really is an impossible task to mark all gcse papers to the same exact standard. You’re welcome too, I’m glad you’ve got what you’ve wanted to hear ☺️
Original post by Zaratomaa
Maybe so! I found myself praying to have a nice examiner bc I’ve always felt getting a grade in eng is always a little of a gamble, it really is an impossible task to mark all gcse papers to the same exact standard. You’re welcome too, I’m glad you’ve got what you’ve wanted to hear ☺️

Thank you for having a proper conversation instead of jumping to conclusions. English is an impossible subject and the 39% of wrong grades proves this. It can never be fair. Just got to hope and pray that the world is in my favour.

Quick Reply

Latest