The Student Room Group

Access to HE diploma course

Scroll to see replies

It's pointless fussing over what is supposedly better based on speculation and with so many factors. Just worry about what's most suitable for you and what you can pass. Getting A*A*Aa self-studying A Levels would be incredibly impressive, but so is climbing Everest and not dying because you thought it was better exercise than jogging.

All the fussing, it's like you could be a white male applying for a job and supposedly you're already at an advantage, but if you're an ethnic minority maybe you're ahead because they have an equality quota to fill, or you have a nice rack and the middle-aged male boss hires people based on... less relevant things...

Then they just give it to the ex-military guy who arrived half an hour late anyway.
Reply 21
I did access and everyone who applied got offers from the unis they applied for. No one applied to RG as far as I know, no one could get into medicine with access grades etc. A levels are definitely better than access but beggars can't be choosers. There is not much consistency in marking, the teaching isn't always great, the support was dire. It's hard to run a home, care for a family and write loads of assignments while trying to learn what you weren't taught in enough detail. I went to a top grammar school and was supposed to do really well but I had to drop out because of illness, if I'd have carried on in that school then I would have gone further than I'm able to now. Access is enough to get into uni though and when you don't have a choice that's what matters.
Original post by adam271
Notoriety IS right that access courses are easier in a sense.
But it's not that simple.
But you can get into top universities with an access course.

If you are a mature student who has been out of education for a fair amount of time then an access course is often very challenging. Especially when you have other commitments. Most universities recognise this.
What's really harder 1: doing A-levels in your parents house with no responsibilities or 2: running a house and working full-time while doing an access course?

That being said there are a few people who either fail a-levels or don't have the grades for a-levels who decide to use the access course as a means to get into university. Which is not really what they are designed for.
Universities do not look as kindly on people who are like 19 years old who have never been out of education and are just doing an access course as an easier alternative.

So with access courses universities don't just take into account the access course but also the person.
They still get offers but unless they have extenuating circumstances they often don't get treated as equally as a-level st

Original post by Notoriety
It is more that most unis cannot afford to be that picky, and don't care if you got ABB or 45/45 at distinction. They want bums on seats. I think when people mention "I went to a top uni with Access" (as has happened in this thread) they tend to be talking about unis which are not super-competitive. RG does not mean elite.

Access might be more difficult as a personal experience compared to A-Level. A lot of assignments in a short period of time. But the uni is not so interested in which had a more intense experience. They want to know who has the best academic potential. The student who has studied the more academic course has an easier time expressing that potential.
I
And I never said you cannot get into a top uni with Access. I said it's more difficult with Access.

I apply for access to he diploma engineering in stockport college and i attend an interview with there tutor that told me you got a place now an they give me one book that i have to fill before enrolment the tutor see my result card as well. Now tomorrow is my enrolment day. I dont know what happen tomorow did they see my results card again? And if tutor told you that you got a place its mean now your place is reserved and what happen on enrolment?
Original post by ozzyoscy
It's pointless fussing over what is supposedly better based on speculation and with so many factors. Just worry about what's most suitable for you and what you can pass. Getting A*A*Aa self-studying A Levels would be incredibly impressive, but so is climbing Everest and not dying because you thought it was better exercise than jogging.

All the fussing, it's like you could be a white male applying for a job and supposedly you're already at an advantage, but if you're an ethnic minority maybe you're ahead because they have an equality quota to fill, or you have a nice rack and the middle-aged male boss hires people based on... less relevant things...

Then they just give it to the ex-military guy who arrived half an hour late anyway.

There is some reason to fuss. There is no point applying to Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL and Durham for law when these unis don't respect Access as a means of entry in itself.
There is some reason to fuss. There is no point applying to Oxford, LSE, UCL, KCL and Durham for law when these unis don't respect Access as a means of entry in itself.

No, no reason to fuss. I said worry about what's most suitable for you. If you were adamant on applying to certain unis, you will have already looked at the entry requirements and had that answered.
If you were adamant on applying to certain unis, you will have already looked at the entry requirements and had that answered.

The entry requirements do not answer the question: can I impress enough to get an offer through Access alone? They tell you, if you do impress enough and get an offer, the offer will be as stated in the entry requirements. There is a difference and it's very important.
The entry requirements do not answer the question: can I impress enough to get an offer through Access alone? They tell you, if you do impress enough and get an offer, the offer will be as stated in the entry requirements. There is a difference and it's very important.

The entry requirements tell you what A Levels you need or what other qualifications or background is also considered, such as Access and what you need to get in that.

The uni's Admissions team can be emailed if you need further info. They can be very informative and don't just offer stock responses.
The entry requirements tell you what A Levels you need or what other qualifications or background is also considered, such as Access and what you need to get in that.

The uni's Admissions team can be emailed if you need further info. They can be very informative and don't just offer stock responses.

I cannot help but restate what I just said. There is a difference between the two things; website info and email guidance (which is usually crap anyway) does not answer the question of whether you will get an offer.

As such, there is some importance in fussing about how unis perceive the Access course so as to make realistic applications. It's not a theoretical question pondered for a laugh.
I cannot help but restate what I just said. There is a difference between the two things; website info and email guidance (which is usually crap anyway) does not answer the question of whether you will get an offer.

As such, there is some importance in fussing about how unis perceive the Access course so as to make realistic applications. It's not a theoretical question pondered for a laugh.

I've found the email guidance to be accurate to the website (it would be weird if it wasn't...) and the major unis being very open to Access even in a high-brow field like science and maths. They'll tell you if they don't think it's enough to go straight on.

You're fussing about an offer not being guaranteed for Access when that's exactly the case for A Levels or any qualification or experience, as there aren't the same amount of places as there are applicants.
I've found the email guidance to be accurate to the website (it would be weird if it wasn't...) and the major unis being very open to Access even in a high-brow field like science and maths. They'll tell you if they don't think it's enough to go straight on.

You're fussing about an offer not being guaranteed for Access when that's exactly the case for A Levels or any qualification or experience, as there aren't the same amount of places as there are applicants.

No, the issue is that you're much less likely to get an offer with Access because it's not seen as anywhere near as impressive as A-Level and IB and Pre-U. I am not going to get drawn into what top STEM courses think -- I am telling you what top law courses think, given that's what OP is asking about.
The argument has turned a bit circular now.

Should probably leave it as is.
Although I will reiterate if you are an access student you have every chance of getting accepted into a top university as most top universities have different admission procedures for mature students.
Original post by adam277
The argument has turned a bit circular now.

Should probably leave it as is.
Although I will reiterate if you are an access student you have every chance of getting accepted into a top university as most top universities have different admission procedures for mature students.

And what do you base that off?
By what the universities say in their entry requirements and on contacting them. Also by what others have said who have got into top universities.

This may not apply to law though.
I'll be doing A-levels at a college, since my subject choices and uni choices don't accept access courses. Also the access courses available in my area are dire, as your only options here are nursing and social science.
No, the issue is that you're much less likely to get an offer with Access because it's not seen as anywhere near as impressive as A-Level and IB and Pre-U. I am not going to get drawn into what top STEM courses think -- I am telling you what top law courses think, given that's what OP is asking about.

I'll politely presume to uncover this conspiracy that you've worked at several major unis or you did an Access course and discovered it first-hand.

All those things you listed aren't options for adults. A Levels arguably, very arguably. For what you say to be true, then, unis would have no mature students.
I'll politely presume to uncover this conspiracy that you've worked at several major unis or you did an Access course and discovered it first-hand.

All those things you listed aren't options for adults. A Levels arguably, very arguably. For what you say to be true, then, unis would have no mature students.

Whatever my background, I have been through uni admissions. It is clear that in email correspondence they don't tell you how good a chance you've got -- whatever your qualification. They just tell you broadly what grades and quals they're looking for.

Take for example LSE law. They want A*AA and usually give offers to students predicted A*A*Aish. For Access, they want 30 credits at distinction and 15 at merit. As far as UCAS points are concerned, 30D/15M is equivalent to around ABB. You think that LSE really only wants the equivalent of ABB from mature students but A*A*A from everyone else? Open ya eyes, mate.
Whatever my background, I have been through uni admissions. It is clear that in email correspondence they don't tell you how good a chance you've got -- whatever your qualification. They just tell you broadly what grades and quals they're looking for.

Take for example LSE law. They want A*AA and usually give offers to students predicted A*A*Aish. For Access, they want 30 credits at distinction and 15 at merit. As far as UCAS points are concerned, 30D/15M is equivalent to around ABB. You think that LSE really only wants the equivalent of ABB from mature students but A*A*A from everyone else? Open ya eyes, mate.

Or so many kids are getting top marks in school/college exams now, so unis have been bumping up A Level requirements for years. In this case, it probably WAS ABB years ago... then AAB, AAA, now A*AA. It's not like they have anything else to go on.

But with older applicants, grades seem to be slightly less important, plus there will be much fewer applicants anyway.

Besides, who's more believable: them, or a random person on the internet saying there's a conspiracy but gets evasive when asked how he even knows?

It's almost like you got rejected by a top uni and this is bitterness coming out.
Reply 37
My access offer was the equivalent of the A levels- 39 at distinction and 6 at merit, equivalent to AAB. Kids in my daughters 6th form who were predicted AAB who applied to the same course as me didn't all get offers. Yes it wasn't a 'top' university but I believe it to be a very good one. Everyone in my access group got an offer to everything they applied for (from good to rubbish uni's ) which seems to show a preference for access students. I'm still not convinced that access is as good as A level but they're not easy and most universitys don't seem to look down on them as inferior .
When I did the Access course 6 years ago, I got offers from all the universities I applied to (Northampton, Oxford Brookes, Westminster, Birmingham). Someone else on the course got an offer from UCL.
Or so many kids are getting top marks in school/college exams now, so unis have been bumping up A Level requirements for years. In this case, it probably WAS ABB years ago... then AAB, AAA, now A*AA. It's not like they have anything else to go on.

But with older applicants, grades seem to be slightly less important, plus there will be much fewer applicants anyway.

Speculative nonsense and evidently wrong. Wait till you apply to uni and find out how little a uni puts a premium on your having worked at Toys R Us.

Besides, who's more believable: them, or a random person on the internet saying there's a conspiracy but gets evasive when asked how he even knows?

They aren't saying this; you are.

It's almost like you got rejected by a top uni and this is bitterness coming out.

Yeah, you got me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending