The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Thinking About A Degree In Criminology?

Hi, I'm a GCSE student who, after completing A-levels in Chemistry, Maths, and Physics/Further Maths, is considering taking an open university course in Criminology with hopes in becoming a police detective constable after completing the mandatory two years of ordinary police work. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for or against this idea, or any experience in or after completing an undergraduates degree in Criminology. I am aware that this idea might sound rather naive to some, but after considering other options this is one of my top choices. Though I have a-levels to get through first, and that I may decide against it, I am still interested to hear your words of advice. Thanks and apologies if this is in the wrong subforum, Cory.

Scroll to see replies

There was a teacher in my school who did a Criminology degree, she really enjoyed it but ended up becoming a psychology and sociology teacher
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Hey, good luck! I’ve done a Criminology degree and I personally loved it. What I would warn you though is a fair amount who do Criminology in the hopes of joining the police are put off it - just a warning. I know some unis do a Policing degree so maybe that would be better suited as well?

Best wishes hun! x
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, good luck! I’ve done a Criminology degree and I personally loved it. What I would warn you though is a fair amount who do Criminology in the hopes of joining the police are put off it - just a warning. I know some unis do a Policing degree so maybe that would be better suited as well?

Best wishes hun! x

Thank you very much for your reply, and I'm glad to hear that you did enjoy doing your degree. Were you one of the people who got put off joining the police force after completing your degree? What did you decide to do with it in the end? And (final question) is it as hard to get a job with this degree as people seem to claim? I'm curious as I don't want to be making the wrong decision and end up with a degree that is of no use - I do have mathematics as a fallback, though.

And sadly, though a good suggestion, the OU doesn't offer Policing as an undergraduate course. Once again, thank you for your (non-criticising) reply,

Cory.
Heya again! I never wanted to join the police so wasn’t put off. I’ve literally just got my results so I can’t answer how hard it is to get a job - I know a lot are going for probation officer positions, a few in the police, Masters etc. From what I’ve seen and heard I don’t think it’s too hard to get a job with it though if you have a good classification. A lot of people end up in jobs not related to their degree subject generally, so if you can get a first or 2:1 you should be okay! Awh that sucks a bit. I’d do Crim then but just keep it in mind that you might go off it a bit. You’ll sort it if you do though. x
Thank you very much for your reply, and I'm glad to hear that you did enjoy doing your degree. Were you one of the people who got put off joining the police force after completing your degree? What did you decide to do with it in the end? And (final question) is it as hard to get a job with this degree as people seem to claim? I'm curious as I don't want to be making the wrong decision and end up with a degree that is of no use - I do have mathematics as a fallback, though.

And sadly, though a good suggestion, the OU doesn't offer Policing as an undergraduate course. Once again, thank you for your (non-criticising) reply,

Cory.
Heya again! I never wanted to join the police so wasn’t put off. I’ve literally just got my results so I can’t answer how hard it is to get a job - I know a lot are going for probation officer positions, a few in the police, Masters etc. From what I’ve seen and heard I don’t think it’s too hard to get a job with it though if you have a good classification. A lot of people end up in jobs not related to their degree subject generally, so if you can get a first or 2:1 you should be okay! Awh that sucks a bit. I’d do Crim then but just keep it in mind that you might go off it a bit. You’ll sort it if you do though. x

Heya again! :rolleyes: Thanks a lot for your reply, I'm glad to hear your honesty rather than a load of criticism, you've been helpful. I'm certainly intending to apply for a probation officer position at first, with hopes of then advancing into a detective position within the force. I wish you good luck in your own career and in finding yourself a job in the present.
Hi
My sister in law did a criminology degree not with ou though she went on to do a social work masters.now been working as a social worker for 2 yrs
Original post by Anisablue
Hi
My sister in law did a criminology degree not with ou though she went on to do a social work masters.now been working as a social worker for 2 yrs

Hi, thanks for your reply :smile: did your sister-in-law enjoy studying Criminology? Unfortunately I'm definitely not interested in becoming a social worker, so the police force is the only direction I'd be interested in going.
Yes she did was just the subject she was interested in rather than the police. I thought you didn’t need a degree to become a police officer ?
Original post by Anisablue
Yes she did was just the subject she was interested in rather than the police. I thought you didn’t need a degree to become a police officer ?

Apparently, it's changing in 2020 when all new police recruits are required to have a degree level qualification by the end probation. However, in the position in the police force I'd most like to venture into, that being a police detective, you are required to have a degree level qualification. Thanks again for your advice :smile:
Ok cool well good luck for the future sounds like you know what you are doing and you have a dream so go for it !!😊
Reply 11
Why are they put off it? x
Original post by evija.s

Original post by evija.s

Hey, OP here! :smile:

I'm not put off it as such, I'm just being thorough before deciding on going down this road - any pointers?
Hi, I'm a GCSE student who, after completing A-levels in Chemistry, Maths, and Physics/Further Maths, is considering taking an open university course in Criminology with hopes in becoming a police detective constable after completing the mandatory two years of ordinary police work. I was wondering if anyone had any advice for or against this idea, or any experience in or after completing an undergraduates degree in Criminology. I am aware that this idea might sound rather naive to some, but after considering other options this is one of my top choices. Though I have a-levels to get through first, and that I may decide against it, I am still interested to hear your words of advice. Thanks and apologies if this is in the wrong subforum, Cory.

It's a bit random but my deputy head of sixth form told my year that egyptology has all the same skills you learn in criminology but is a more respected degree or something. If you look at the University of Liverpool Egyptology careers prospects page the Police Service is listed as one of the top recent employers- might be worth looking into. It's also worth mentioning that there are lots of jobs out there for people with egyptology degrees but jobs for actual criminologists are not common as there are too many graduate criminologists, so if you decide the Police isn't for you, your job prospects might weirdly be better with egyptology. Don't quote me on this though!
Original post by stress-eating
It's a bit random but my deputy head of sixth form told my year that egyptology has all the same skills you learn in criminology but is a more respected degree or something. If you look at the University of Liverpool Egyptology careers prospects page the Police Service is listed as one of the top recent employers- might be worth looking into. It's also worth mentioning that there are lots of jobs out there for people with egyptology degrees but jobs for actual criminologists are not common as there are too many graduate criminologists, so if you decide the Police isn't for you, your job prospects might weirdly be better with egyptology. Don't quote me on this though!

How bizarre! Thanks for your random-but-informative reply - I've never actually thought about Egyptology for obvious reasons aha, though somehow I doubt I'll go for this one!

As for the career prospects for criminology graduates, I'm now aware it's quite limited - I am only interested in the policing side of it as well, ruling out the social work side of the degree. Once again, thank you for your effort!
(edited 4 years ago)

Best wishes hun! x

What’s a criminology degree like? I’m very interested in taking it at uni, are there any particular A levels you’d need to do?
Original post by SongOfTheSpoon
How bizarre! Thanks for your random-but-informative reply - I've never actually thought about Egyptology for obvious reasons aha, though somehow I doubt I'll go for this one!

As for the career prospects for criminology graduates, I'm now aware it's quite limited - I am only interested in the policing side of it as well, ruling out the social work side of the degree. Once again, thank you for your effort!

haha no problem, good luck for policing- I know my relatives in the police find it very rewarding

Best wishes hun! x

I know a senior detective in the met who’s friends with my dad, I might do work experience with him
Original post by Greywolftwo
I know a senior detective in the met who’s friends with my dad, I might do work experience with him

Sounds like quite a great opportunity, really, I'd definitely go for it - That's ideally the way I'd like to go as well
Original post by SongOfTheSpoon
Sounds like quite a great opportunity, really, I'd definitely go for it - That's ideally the way I'd like to go as well

Unfortunately though a lot of his work is quite secretive, I know his work but I can’t say it so I probs won’t be doing that

Quick Reply

Latest