The Student Room Group

Do student nurses get paid while training?

Hi, I am staring an access course to do nursing at uni next year. I am wondering what the pay might be like while studying. When I start my training I will have a 2 year old and I’m just seeing if there’s any support available, like bursary and also childcare options.

Thank you x
Original post by Erinn233
Hi, I am staring an access course to do nursing at uni next year. I am wondering what the pay might be like while studying. When I start my training I will have a 2 year old and I’m just seeing if there’s any support available, like bursary and also childcare options.

Thank you x

Hi there

To answer your question about students nurses being paid while training to be a nurse.
The answer is absolutely No ok
You will only be able to either get financing from the student loan associations or students loan ok , or self fund the course yourself.
Unfortunately no students nurses get paid for there training.

Hopefully this clears up any issues for you.
You can get a bursary in Northern Ireland and Wales.. but in NI you need to be living here for 3 years, and wales you need to work there for 2 years after graduating.
Rather than the traditional route, have you considered applying for a nursing degree apprenticeship? They're advertised on NHS Jobs and you'd complete your training while in a salaried position, usually with a requirement to work x number of years for the trust after qualification. It's a lot more financially forgiving than the standard student loan package!

If you take the traditional university route, you'd get student finance (subject to income assessment etc) and there's extra help available towards childcare available. Whichever uni you attend might also have some student support packages in place to top that up, through bursaries or hardship grants, it just depends which institution you attend.

Quick Reply