The Student Room Group

How many calories should I eat?

I’m 5 foot 9 or 175 cm and around 54-56kg most of the time. So that’s 122 or 123 pounds.

I’m a male and I have a very active life where I do various highly intensive calisthenics orientated exercises and kind of over work my self 4-6 times a week and they last a little longer than an hour, I do it consistently throughout the day so I imagine it adds up to a little over an hour.

I used a bunch of calculators and they say I’m only burning 500-700 calories with these statistics (hard to believe) and that I need to eat almost 3000 cals to get lean? That doesnt sound right. I’m pretty sure this is all wrong. Another one said 2k calories. That sounds more right.

But how much am I burning a day? I need to burn a little more than what I eat to lose some fat right now. Can someone help me out? I need to make sure I’m really eating the right amount by knowing how much I burn in a day.
Try doing it the other way round and not focusing on calories.

So if you want to lose weight - eat less. Change the foods you eat if you wish.

If you want to gain weight eat more. Again change the foods you eat to get what you want.

If you want to gain muscle then change your exercise regime.

The problem with quantifying calories is that calculators and such are based on an average or usual models but people are individuals thus you need to learn about your own body. If at the end of the day with your size and exercise regime you feel constantly hungry you may need to eat more. However you mentioned that you wanted to "lose fat" so that mandates less food.

I am assuming you have some knowledge of 'healthy' vs 'unhealthy' foods. That will lead you to chose a diet to achieve your goals. Look up kietogenics and see if that may help?
Reply 2
Original post by Grizwuld
Try doing it the other way round and not focusing on calories.

So if you want to lose weight - eat less. Change the foods you eat if you wish.

If you want to gain weight eat more. Again change the foods you eat to get what you want.

If you want to gain muscle then change your exercise regime.

The problem with quantifying calories is that calculators and such are based on an average or usual models but people are individuals thus you need to learn about your own body. If at the end of the day with your size and exercise regime you feel constantly hungry you may need to eat more. However you mentioned that you wanted to "lose fat" so that mandates less food.

I am assuming you have some knowledge of 'healthy' vs 'unhealthy' foods. That will lead you to chose a diet to achieve your goals. Look up kietogenics and see if that may help?

I already hardly eat and it’s the reason why I have fat, my body is storing since I’m not eating enough it try’s to keep as much as it can. I only have like 700 to 1000 every day and sometimes less than that. I think I need to eat more to lost the fat. I know u need to eat fat to actually lose fat. But yeah perhaps I shouldn’t focus too much on the calories but as a very sloppy unorganised and inconsistent person I feel like it would help me I I track them just a little for some form of a rough idea
Original post by The_Atomix
I already hardly eat and it’s the reason why I have fat, my body is storing since I’m not eating enough it try’s to keep as much as it can. I only have like 700 to 1000 every day and sometimes less than that. I think I need to eat more to lost the fat. I know u need to eat fat to actually lose fat. But yeah perhaps I shouldn’t focus too much on the calories but as a very sloppy unorganised and inconsistent person I feel like it would help me I I track them just a little for some form of a rough idea

OK so what's your BMI (actual & suggested) and what's your body type (ecto/meso/endo morph)?
Reply 4
OK so what's your BMI (actual & suggested) and what's your body type (ecto/meso/endo morph)?

BMI is around 17 and I’m mostly mesomorphic

Body types aren’t real?
Reply 6
Original post by funk controller
Body types aren’t real?

Oh ok then
Honestly with that weight, I think you should be looking at gaining weight rather than minding about calories. Obviously you should avoid the greasy/junk food.
Reply 8
There’s nothing wrong with your weight. If anything you’re underweight.
Reply 9
Original post by Lostx
There’s nothing wrong with your weight. If anything you’re underweight.

But I still have fat, I never said I want to lose weight

Original post by Mustafa0605
Honestly with that weight, I think you should be looking at gaining weight rather than minding about calories. Obviously you should avoid the greasy/junk food.

I just wanna get rid of all this fat I seem to developed, I definitely didn’t use to have this b4 in the past
I just wanna get rid of all this fat I seem to developed, I definitely didn’t use to have this b4 in the past

But your 5’9 and 55kg which is low weight in the first place. You should attempt to bulk muscle and the fat will be diluted by the muscle. Also increasing muscle mass will mean you will use up more calories in a normal day so your fat will naturally decrease.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12

Having a little bit of fat is normal. It’s healthy.
You should eat more not less, I’m willing to bet that you are extremely skinny and barely possess muscle at that weight.
Original post by funk controller
You should eat more not less, I’m willing to bet that you are extremely skinny and barely possess muscle at that weight.

Nope I’m pretty muscular and have no interest in getting bigger I just need to lose this fat, I didn’t have it before it just randomly developed and now I’m gonna try get rid of it. I don’t look skinny. I use to be 50 kg and now I’ve gained up 55 and I’m stuck there and I look pretty muscular now.
Nope I’m pretty muscular and have no interest in getting bigger I just need to lose this fat, I didn’t have it before it just randomly developed and now I’m gonna try get rid of it. I don’t look skinny. I use to be 50 kg and now I’ve gained up 55 and I’m stuck there and I look pretty muscular now.

At 50 kg I looked more like what ur describing
Original post by Lostx
Having a little bit of fat is normal. It’s healthy.

I use to be able to see my six pack, and now it’s slowly fading away, still visible but I’m worried it won’t be like that 4 long. The definition in my arms isn’t as prominent as they were before, and my veins I use to have r gone. Clearly I’ve gained fat. How do I eat to lose it?
Original post by Mustafa0605

So true

Focus on putting on weight first. Then burn off the fat after, big mistake trying to burn fat when your already underweight
I use to be able to see my six pack, and now it’s slowly fading away, still visible but I’m worried it won’t be like that 4 long. The definition in my arms isn’t as prominent as they were before, and my veins I use to have r gone. Clearly I’ve gained fat. How do I eat to lose it?

It’s as simple as eating less. I’m still betting you’re very skinny, I’m 80kg at 5’8 and have somewhat visible abs in lighting. You’re idea of muscular is probably just the illusion of being a low body fat and therefore having visible muscle. If you’re 6 pack is fading away at that low a weight, it’s very unlikely your muscular.

Putting your stats into an ideal bodyweight calculator, you are ~6kg lighter than the ideal weight for a marathon runner (derived from an index of athletes). That makes you extremely skinny considering marathon runners minimise their weight in both muscle and fat.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest