The Student Room Group

spanish gcse help

hey guys im going to be in year 11 in september 2019 and im really scared for gcse but im even more scared for gcse spanish as im rlly bad at listening and reading are there any tips you guys could give me please
Reply 1
Go on holiday there... alone! Live with a Spanish friend or family.
Original post by Vinny C

ive been and it didnt help
Reply 3
nal post by itzaashika)ive been and it didnt help

Then instruct them to speak only Spanish and teach you as they would a child.
Reply 4
I was exactly the same at the start of y11, I was also nervous as I had only started it in y10, I had always been good at writing and speaking but listening was my worse. For reading I would suggest learning a lot of common adjectives, so when it says on a paper or something what did Marco think of football it will be easier to make a educated guess. For listening I found the duolingo podcast useful. Hope this helps
Reply 5
Unless you’re planning to take it in college and need anything above a 5 ask your teacher to put you on foundation. Speaking is a lot easier apparently , writing is baso just 90 worders ( the smallest amount) and saying what’s in pictures and translating very short sentences , reading is a lot of multiple choice and short sentence or one work answers as is listening. Foundation Spanish is set out to be miiiiiles away from Higher and is made easy enough for someone who has studied substantially for the two years.
@itzaashika I totally related to you in my GCSE experience as I always found both listening and reading hard. The overall deciding factor in how well you do in Spanish is quite simply how many words you know (the extent of your vocabulary) but I have to appreciate exam technique is still important but to a much lesser degree. If you are doing AQA (I don't know if this applies to other exam boards) for your GCSE you are given a list of vocabulary you need to learn but this is by means not extensive but lets say if you know the vast majority of those words you would be 'headed in the right direction' and so systematically revising those should be incorporated into your revision process. I would say the reason listening is most commonly the hardest (in my opinion) is because you need to have certain cognitive processes when you are 'listening' to the phrase in the test e.g. translating each word that's being said or getting the general gist of the sentence which depends on the type of question being asked (true/false or short answer) as well as this, this action requires you to know some vocabulary beforehand and as I said before knowing all the words you are supposed to learn in the specification simply maximises the chance of you achieving a higher grade.

If all else fails, smash writing and speaking so you don't need to worry about listening and reading ,which is how I saved myself in this case.
Original post by g0317
I was exactly the same at the start of y11, I was also nervous as I had only started it in y10, I had always been good at writing and speaking but listening was my worse. For reading I would suggest learning a lot of common adjectives, so when it says on a paper or something what did Marco think of football it will be easier to make a educated guess. For listening I found the duolingo podcast useful. Hope this helps

thankyou so much ill defo try that
Original post by thrifty_reviser
@itzaashika I totally related to you in my GCSE experience as I always found both listening and reading hard. The overall deciding factor in how well you do in Spanish is quite simply how many words you know (the extent of your vocabulary) but I have to appreciate exam technique is still important but to a much lesser degree. If you are doing AQA (I don't know if this applies to other exam boards) for your GCSE you are given a list of vocabulary you need to learn but this is by means not extensive but lets say if you know the vast majority of those words you would be 'headed in the right direction' and so systematically revising those should be incorporated into your revision process. I would say the reason listening is most commonly the hardest (in my opinion) is because you need to have certain cognitive processes when you are 'listening' to the phrase in the test e.g. translating each word that's being said or getting the general gist of the sentence which depends on the type of question being asked (true/false or short answer) as well as this, this action requires you to know some vocabulary beforehand and as I said before knowing all the words you are supposed to learn in the specification simply maximises the chance of you achieving a higher grade.

If all else fails, smash writing and speaking so you don't need to worry about listening and reading ,which is how I saved myself in this case.

yeah that makes sense ill learn the vocab. if you dont mind me asking what did you get for your overall grade in spanish gcse
Original post by xY.mpj.Tx
Unless you’re planning to take it in college and need anything above a 5 ask your teacher to put you on foundation. Speaking is a lot easier apparently , writing is baso just 90 worders ( the smallest amount) and saying what’s in pictures and translating very short sentences , reading is a lot of multiple choice and short sentence or one work answers as is listening. Foundation Spanish is set out to be miiiiiles away from Higher and is made easy enough for someone who has studied substantially for the two years.

yh ur right is that what u did too? its just that my writing is strong so i dont wanna limit myself
Original post by itzaashika
yeah that makes sense ill learn the vocab. if you dont mind me asking what did you get for your overall grade in spanish gcse

I predicted myself a 7 since I found the reading hard and couldn't understand the audio in listening quick enough but miraculously got a 9
Reply 11
hey guys im going to be in year 11 in september 2019 and im really scared for gcse but im even more scared for gcse spanish as im rlly bad at listening and reading are there any tips you guys could give me please

I would listen to a lot of Spanish music and watch some films in Spanish. I would also read Spanish stories, (this website helped me loads: https://www.thespanishexperiment.com/stories). Also keep going over vocab and grammar as reading has a lot of vocab in it
yh ur right is that what u did too? its just that my writing is strong so i dont wanna limit myself

No I’ve always been on higher but there were people in my class who got moved to foundation and started getting 5s when they would only get 3s on Higher. Your teacher should automatically make the switch if she felt you were struggling , if not talk to her about it. if your writing’s really strong - and by that I mean you’ve gotten above 5s - then stick on higher. Really practice your speaking with pre planned answers ,, DO NOT WING IT,, and reading and listening is just about vocab . If you’ve never really gotten above 5s In the others then I would seriously consider Foundation until you’re comfortable. Just don’t leave it too late into exam season or you’re screwed.
Original post by xY.mpj.Tx
No I’ve always been on higher but there were people in my class who got moved to foundation and started getting 5s when they would only get 3s on Higher. Your teacher should automatically make the switch if she felt you were struggling , if not talk to her about it. if your writing’s really strong - and by that I mean you’ve gotten above 5s - then stick on higher. Really practice your speaking with pre planned answers ,, DO NOT WING IT,, and reading and listening is just about vocab . If you’ve never really gotten above 5s In the others then I would seriously consider Foundation until you’re comfortable. Just don’t leave it too late into exam season or you’re screwed.

ok thankyou so much i rlly appreciate that :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by muffboo

I will be read Spanish book and listen lots of Spanish language music, also I will be watch some Spanish movie, to know more about Spanish language
Original post by Vinny C

I mean that’s proven to be crap advice, if you don’t back it up with study
What i is did was ace the writing and speaking exam

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending