The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mel242
Is anyone taking the August BMAT in London? I registered but after the confirmation email, there has been no further contact. What are the logistics for the day? Just turn up?

im doing it and i got an email like 4 days ago so call the help line bc before i did they didnt send any confirmation abt it
Reply 81
Anyone have any good recommendations for a BMAT worked solutions book? I see many publishers but i am wondering which is the best one to get.
Original post by Jon1:)
It's not so much the critical thinking questions, but more the problem solving and data analysis that I get wrong - after I finish and review the paper, I know I could do them but maybe it's the time pressure thats stopping me from clearly thinking about the question. Any tips on data analysis or the problem solving?

When I was preparing I was getting data analysis questions wrong too and it was my worst part but in reality it really isn't, it's all about reading enough information to get a Logical answer, something that logically flows, if u feel it doesn't feel logical and no conclusion can be drawn then there is probably more to read. For problem solving it really is down to luck, I would suggest to think logically and try to answer one's that u seriously think u can, don't waste your time or more difficult ones which u are unsure of and don't know how long it will take to answer that's the key to failure. Ur main marks should come from critical thinking and data analysis, problem solving is just far too unpredictable
Hey
Reply 84
Original post by Krunker482
When I was preparing I was getting data analysis questions wrong too and it was my worst part but in reality it really isn't, it's all about reading enough information to get a Logical answer, something that logically flows, if u feel it doesn't feel logical and no conclusion can be drawn then there is probably more to read. For problem solving it really is down to luck, I would suggest to think logically and try to answer one's that u seriously think u can, don't waste your time or more difficult ones which u are unsure of and don't know how long it will take to answer that's the key to failure. Ur main marks should come from critical thinking and data analysis, problem solving is just far too unpredictable

Thanks so much - would you say data analysis question types are repeated over the past papers? So, is there a common trend throughout the past papers?
Thanks so much - would you say data analysis question types are repeated over the past papers? So, is there a common trend throughout the past papers?

definitely, there are roughly 4 critical thinking questions, so dont get ur hopes up with those, they are usually harder than the regular ones but u can still get marks from those, but ur main marks should come from the mathematical questions. Usually its reading multiple small pieces of data and using all that data to form a conclusion and a answer by calculation. I must stress this, try as much as you can to estimate!!! Try not to do every calculation as it is supposed to be done. You would waste precious time. Honestly this paper is just giving me soo much anxiety, i just wonna get it done with.
Reply 86
definitely, there are roughly 4 critical thinking questions, so dont get ur hopes up with those, they are usually harder than the regular ones but u can still get marks from those, but ur main marks should come from the mathematical questions. Usually its reading multiple small pieces of data and using all that data to form a conclusion and a answer by calculation. I must stress this, try as much as you can to estimate!!! Try not to do every calculation as it is supposed to be done. You would waste precious time. Honestly this paper is just giving me soo much anxiety, i just wonna get it done with.

Omg haha same thanks for all the advice - im so worried about this test😩
Omg haha same thanks for all the advice - im so worried about this test😩

i just wonna get it done even cuz the stress is killing me, i started doing intense preparation 2 months ago after doing like 7 months of intense preparation for a levels so i haven't had a break yt, as long as i get a single offer i'll feel like im in heaven
i just wonna get it done even cuz the stress is killing me, i started doing intense preparation 2 months ago after doing like 7 months of intense preparation for a levels so i haven't had a break yt, as long as i get a single offer i'll feel like im in heaven

hey are you reapplying for med?
Original post by sweetietweetie
hey are you reapplying for med?

Yp was stupid with my application last year n chose to do the BMAT with 2 weeks of prep, I was just asking to be rejected by all😂 but I've fixed up now. Wbu?
Reply 90
Yp was stupid with my application last year n chose to do the BMAT with 2 weeks of prep, I was just asking to be rejected by all😂 but I've fixed up now. Wbu?

If you don't mind me asking, what bmat grades did you get when you applied initially?
If you don't mind me asking, what bmat grades did you get when you applied initially?

yh sure, i got 2.8, 4.0 and 2.5A stupid thing is i could have been doing medicine right now with these grades if i applied to brighton and sussex cuz i am a contextual student, but no instead applied to cambridge ucl and imperial -__-. u really dont need that high of a score though even for cambridge, my friend got 3.8, 3.5, 3A and he almost got an offer from cambridge and he only got 4 a stars in gcses but he mucked up his first interview, watch out with imperial and ucl, they are wayy less forgiving with your bmat score. This time around im aiming for 5.0, 6.3 and 3.5 A but at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter cuz if i get an interview i will be no better than a person that got 1.5, 1.5 and 3 A. interview is the real deal, they will only use bmat if you were a few points off the cutoff for your interview for the offer.

omd literally twins! i thought i could just bang out a couple of weeks of revision but im trying to start early because i'm gonna do october BMAT, i was asking to be rejected too lol
yh sure, i got 2.8, 4.0 and 2.5A stupid thing is i could have been doing medicine right now with these grades if i applied to brighton and sussex cuz i am a contextual student, but no instead applied to cambridge ucl and imperial -__-. u really dont need that high of a score though even for cambridge, my friend got 3.8, 3.5, 3A and he almost got an offer from cambridge and he only got 4 a stars in gcses but he mucked up his first interview, watch out with imperial and ucl, they are wayy less forgiving with your bmat score. This time around im aiming for 5.0, 6.3 and 3.5 A but at the end of the day, it really doesn't matter cuz if i get an interview i will be no better than a person that got 1.5, 1.5 and 3 A. interview is the real deal, they will only use bmat if you were a few points off the cutoff for your interview for the offer.

^^^^ this is so true - everything you just said! cambridge (at least some colleges) are less concentrated on it what college did your friend apply to btw?? i might apply there if they are most hollistic. where else are you thinking of applying if you dont mind me asking

i am aiming for similar scores to as well but thinking about it already is giving me nightmares :frown:
Reply 94

Ah right that is so helpful thanks so much! Was it just the interview that brought your friend down or was it other factors; how could he be sure that it was just the interview that let him/her down?
Ah right that is so helpful thanks so much! Was it just the interview that brought your friend down or was it other factors; how could he be sure that it was just the interview that let him/her down?

they called him up they said that if he only did slightly better in his first interview he would have had an offer right now cuz his second interview was the best anyone had ever done. All his other aspects were fine according to cambridge.
^^^^ this is so true - everything you just said! cambridge (at least some colleges) are less concentrated on it what college did your friend apply to btw?? i might apply there if they are most hollistic. where else are you thinking of applying if you dont mind me asking

i am aiming for similar scores to as well but thinking about it already is giving me nightmares :frown:

he applied to st jhons i believe, certainly do it. this year i really wonna keep it safe and dont want to wait another year so i am applying to my main strength ( contextual student gang yeyyy!! ) and probs gonna apply to bsms (garunteed interview), leicester (garunteed interview because i already got my grades), plymouth(almost garunteed interview) and st georges (the most sexiest uni i have yt seen) or glasgow( if my ucat score is pretty good)
omd literally twins! i thought i could just bang out a couple of weeks of revision but im trying to start early because i'm gonna do october BMAT, i was asking to be rejected too lol

ayyy, well join the gang then :smile:
Reply 98
they called him up they said that if he only did slightly better in his first interview he would have had an offer right now cuz his second interview was the best anyone had ever done. All his other aspects were fine according to cambridge.

Wow that's amazing - was he a contextual student aswell?
he applied to st jhons i believe, certainly do it. this year i really wonna keep it safe and dont want to wait another year so i am applying to my main strength ( contextual student gang yeyyy!! ) and probs gonna apply to bsms (garunteed interview), leicester (garunteed interview because i already got my grades), plymouth(almost garunteed interview) and st georges (the most sexiest uni i have yt seen) or glasgow( if my ucat score is pretty good)

honestly when i see another med gap year student excited i get so haps lool - you seem really positive which is great! being bare curious but is it because you've got guranteed interviews the reason why youre doing 1 bmat and 3 ucat unis??

Latest

Trending

Trending