The Student Room Group
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds

Progression onto 2nd year

Failed two modules in 1st year but I’m appealing to see if I can carry forward those two modules or let me drop one failed module and carry the other into second year. I’m appealing on the grounds of undisclosed extenuating circumstances. How likely is it my appeal will be successful?
If you have:
1. convincing and evidenced reasons for not disclosing earlier or for why you didn't claim mitigation at the time of the assessment, and
2. your extenuating circumstances are fully evidenced for the period of time you are claiming to be affected
then you have a chance.
(nobody can really say how likely it is that an appeal will be successful as you have given virtually no information)

Make sure you are getting support from the SU as they will have people who are trained to support students through the appeal process and make sure that you don't say the wrong thing or misunderstand the procedures.
The Rose Bowl, Leeds Beckett University
Leeds Beckett University
Leeds
Original post by toy&halo
If you have:
1. convincing and evidenced reasons for not disclosing earlier or for why you didn't claim mitigation at the time of the assessment, and
2. your extenuating circumstances are fully evidenced for the period of time you are claiming to be affected
then you have a chance.
(nobody can really say how likely it is that an appeal will be successful as you have given virtually no information)

Make sure you are getting support from the SU as they will have people who are trained to support students through the appeal process and make sure that you don't say the wrong thing or misunderstand the procedures.

Thank you for the response. The problem is i wasn’t diagnosed with my condition until after the assessments took place, which is why I couldn’t apply for extenuating circumstances during the time. Because of this I wasn’t aware of the condition I had until after. Will the Uni accept this as reasoning for not disclosing reasonings earlier?
If you weren't diagnosed you have a clear reason for not claiming mitigation at the time of the assessments. Your doctor would need to explain when you were diagnosed and how long, in their professional opinion, you are likely to have been affected (so that the evidence supports why you did badly before being officially diagnosed). For appeals you need to get as much evidence as you can from the relevant professionals - doctors, counsellors, or whoever you have seen.
Make sure you contact the Advice Service at the SU. But plan for the appeal not being upheld as most don't. Your evidence will be the key to this.
Original post by Anonymous363829
Failed two modules in 1st year but I’m appealing to see if I can carry forward those two modules or let me drop one failed module and carry the other into second year. I’m appealing on the grounds of undisclosed extenuating circumstances. How likely is it my appeal will be successful?

Hi I’m in the exact same position trying to appeal at the moment. Was you successful in your appeal?
Original post by Anonymous
Make sure you contact the Advice Service at the SU. But plan for the appeal not being upheld as most don't. Your evidence will be the key to this.

How exactly do I plan for the appeal not being upheld?
Original post by Kiarahenryxo
Hi I’m in the exact same position trying to appeal at the moment. Was you successful in your appeal?

Still working on my appeal so haven’t sent it off yet. Hopefully I am.
Please let me know how this goes for you. In my situation I just had to end up re doing the first year as the appeal would of taken too long and i would of had to do the 2nd year next year even if my appeal was accepted
Original post by Kiarahenryxo
Please let me know how this goes for you. In my situation I just had to end up re doing the first year as the appeal would of taken too long and i would of had to do the 2nd year next year even if my appeal was accepted

Turns out I actually passed the year, was an error with my grades and they accidentally put a lower mark than what I had actually received. Sorry to hear that, but if your appeal would have been accepted why would you still have to do second year next year??

Quick Reply

Latest