The Student Room Group

A levels helpppppp

Sociology or philosophy?

Scroll to see replies

I'd do sociology. I find it interesting.
Reply 2
Original post by JustStudy
I'd do sociology. I find it interesting.

Im not sure though because i want to definitely do history and government and politics
I got a 7 at GCSE for religious studies and I find it interesting but I heard at A levels it gets pretty hard and I heard that sociology has more content but it is wayyy easier so I’m in a bit of a dilemma
Original post by Zainab.1
Im not sure though because i want to definitely do history and government and politics
I got a 7 at GCSE for religious studies and I find it interesting but I heard at A levels it gets pretty hard and I heard that sociology has more content but it is wayyy easier so I’m in a bit of a dilemma

Instead of other Sociology or Philosophy, I would highly recommend that you do Religious Studies. It's extremely interesting and much, much easier to get a good mark than the other two subjects. Religious Studies has a lot of philosophy in it as well (ethics) and most of the subject content is common sense. :rambo:
Sociology or philosophy?

I did Philosophy in A Level Religious Studies and found it super interesting! You do ethical theories and delve into religious debates as part of the A Level too. Very enriching :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Quick-use
Instead of other Sociology or Philosophy, I would highly recommend that you do Religious Studies. It's extremely interesting and much, much easier to get a good mark than the other two subjects. Religious Studies has a lot of philosophy in it as well (ethics) and most of the subject content is common sense. :rambo:

The sixth form I enrolled to said philosophy ethics and religion but when I got accepted it said religious studies
i don’t know if you will know but 50% is Christianity and the other 50% is philosophy of religion and ethics
I’m not sure if that is philosophy or religious studies
Reply 6
Original post by shadowlils
I did Philosophy in A Level Religious Studies and found it super interesting! You do ethical theories and delve into religious debates as part of the A Level too. Very enriching :smile:

Thank you! I do have an interest in philosophy but I’m finding the key words difficult to memorise
The sixth form I enrolled to said philosophy ethics and religion but when I got accepted it said religious studies
i don’t know if you will know but 50% is Christianity and the other 50% is philosophy of religion and ethics
I’m not sure if that is philosophy or religious studies

That's A level Religious Studies and Ethics and not A level Philosophy. Definitely go with RS - extremely interesting and an easy grade! :rambo: Sociology is quite a bit harder I think and it can be really dense as well.
Reply 8
That's A level Religious Studies and Ethics and not A level Philosophy. Definitely go with RS - extremely interesting and an easy grade! :rambo: Sociology is quite a bit harder I think and it can be really dense as well.

Thank you🤗 I really appreciate your help I’m 100% convinced that I should do religious studies for A level
Thank you for your help x
Thank you! I do have an interest in philosophy but I’m finding the key words difficult to memorise

You'll get it with time. If you properly understand the concept, then the key words will come to you, don't sweat it :smile: What in particular are you struggling with?
Reply 10
You'll get it with time. If you properly understand the concept, then the key words will come to you, don't sweat it :smile: What in particular are you struggling with

I’m struggling with how to word my sentences as I am getting the point but my sentences aren’t strong enough to justify my arguments
Thank you🤗 I really appreciate your help I’m 100% convinced that I should do religious studies for A level
Thank you for your help x

You're most welcome! What are your other subjects?
Reply 12
You're most welcome! What are your other subjects?

History and government and politics
And I’m thinking of doing history at university because I enjoy it a lot
History and government and politics
And I’m thinking of doing history at university because I enjoy it a lot

Nice! That sounds like an excellent combination of subjects. :rambo:
Sociology or philosophy?

I’d say philosophy.

Sociology ain’t that easy
Hey guys I need an alevel to do in a year . Do u think RS is doable in a year? Or is sociology or business studies maybe more doable?
Reply 16
Nice! That sounds like an excellent combination of subjects. :rambo:

Thanks 🌟
I’m struggling with how to word my sentences as I am getting the point but my sentences aren’t strong enough to justify my arguments

It depends on what your sentence if about. If it is introducing an argument, relate it to the q e.g. a paragraph to the question 'Discuss whether the Teleological Arg is convincing' may start as "The Teleological Argument is unconvincing because it relies on the questionable basis of flawed analogies." Be firm and assertive in your sentences, don't say "some might argue" unless you are introducing a counter-argument. You are trying to persuade your examiner that your viewpoint is sound.

If you are introducing a scholar, be concise. There is no need for a background on their life e.g. "David Hume supports this, convincingly criticising the use of analogy, in that one cannot apply human terms to God; doing so involves the risk of anthropomorphism". There is no need to say where he studied, what books he wrote etc.

One lifesaver, to ensure you get those evaluation marks, are adverbs such as "persuasively", "unpersuasively", "strongly", "weakly"; apply these when you introduce a scholarly view and you'll get the strong justifications you need :smile:
Reply 18
It depends on what your sentence if about. If it is introducing an argument, relate it to the q e.g. a paragraph to the question 'Discuss whether the Teleological Arg is convincing' may start as "The Teleological Argument is unconvincing because it relies on the questionable basis of flawed analogies." Be firm and assertive in your sentences, don't say "some might argue" unless you are introducing a counter-argument. You are trying to persuade your examiner that your viewpoint is sound.

If you are introducing a scholar, be concise. There is no need for a background on their life e.g. "David Hume supports this, convincingly criticising the use of analogy, in that one cannot apply human terms to God; doing so involves the risk of anthropomorphism". There is no need to say where he studied, what books he wrote etc.

One lifesaver, to ensure you get those evaluation marks, are adverbs such as "persuasively", "unpersuasively", "strongly", "weakly"; apply these when you introduce a scholarly view and you'll get the strong justifications you need :smile:

Thank you so much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I will definitely use your advice and add more adverbs to my essay as I feel like my writing starts to deteriorate after 2 hours of the exam
Hi might I throw in psychology as an option?

Quick Reply

Latest