The Student Room Group

How to Succeed in A-Levels Without Really Trying (Nell's Y13 GYG)

Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 09.16.52.jpg

Alright lads, here we go. If this doesn't help me get into Cambridge History nothing will. This term I just want to drop everything, including some of my most cherished extra-curriculars, and focus on three things:

1. Keeping my grades at the level I need - A*AA to be precise, although I wouldn't complain about getting higher than that :wink:

2. Making my Cambridge application as competitive as possible, with as much extra reading as I can cram in, getting that EPQ bread, entrance assessment prep and interview practice.

3. My ARSM performance diploma, which I've been heavily encouraged to take before choral trials in 2020. The insanely high standard of choral singing is the main reason I'm applying for Cambridge in the first place, and I need to make my choral awards application just as good as my academic one!

So, if you want to join me in my journey to Cambridge and stellar A-Levels this year, stick around! It may be an ever-so-slightly bumpy ride. (Please comment below if you'd like to be tagged :smile:)

Last year's results

Spoiler

Current studies

Spoiler

Universities, in order of preference

Spoiler

Extra-curriculars

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Good luck Nell! :rave:

Those grades look amazing, by the way! :gah:
heyyy
Reply 3
Original post by RazzzBerries
Good luck Nell! :rave:

Those grades look amazing, by the way! :gah:

Thank you! I was really pleased with my preds & hopefully I'll be able to keep them up :eek:
Reply 4
Original post by Obolinda
heyyy

Hey! Do you want me to put you on the tag list?
Original post by nells45581
Hey! Do you want me to put you on the tag list?

suree
Reply 6
suree

Awesome, will do. Are you going into Y13 too?
Awesome, will do. Are you going into Y13 too?

no, year 11:tongue:
Good luck! I hope you get into Cambridge :biggrin:
Reply 9
no, year 11:tongue:

Nice, I hope you have a fun & productive year :h:
Original post by Hazzabear
Good luck! I hope you get into Cambridge :biggrin:

Thank you! It's been my dream for a long time now! Would you like me to put you in the tag list?
Thank you! I was really pleased with my preds & hopefully I'll be able to keep them up :eek:

You will! :rave:

(Please put me on the tag list too! :woo: )
Original post by RazzzBerries
You will! :rave:

(Please put me on the tag list too! :woo: )

:colondollar:

(okay!)
Thank you! It's been my dream for a long time now! Would you like me to put you in the tag list?

Yes please! :smile:
Original post by Hazzabear
Yes please! :smile:

Will do then :yy:
not too sure how gygs work but can i be tagged plz
Screenshot 2019-08-28 at 09.16.52.jpg

Alright lads, here we go. If this doesn't help me get into Cambridge History nothing will. This term I just want to drop everything, including some of my most cherished extra-curriculars, and focus on three things:

1. Keeping my grades at the level I need - A*AA to be precise, although I wouldn't complain about getting higher than that :wink:

2. Making my Cambridge application as competitive as possible, with as much extra reading as I can cram in, getting that EPQ bread, entrance assessment prep and interview practice.

3. My ARSM performance diploma, which I've been heavily encouraged to take before choral trials in 2020. The insanely high standard of choral singing is the main reason I'm applying for Cambridge in the first place, and I need to make my choral awards application just as good as my academic one!

So, if you want to join me in my journey to Cambridge and stellar A-Levels this year, stick around! It may be an ever-so-slightly bumpy ride. (Please comment below if you'd like to be tagged :smile:)

Last year's results

Spoiler

Current studies

Spoiler

Universities, in order of preference

Spoiler

Extra-curriculars

Spoiler

Good luck! I'd love to be tagged.

I love the thread title! It's very relatable. I was literally the laziest A-Level student ever once I realised that there was no way I was going to get any A*s without studying all day, every day. I knew I could work to get an A but I wasn't willing to work about 50 times harder to go up one more grade. I remember one time we had to bring in our revision notes to show to the class and everyone had these beautiful flashcards and I had a few crumpled spider diagrams in black ink. I managed to get an A in History (full UMS in 2 papers), an A in Economics, an A* in my EPQ which I actually put effort into because I cared about it, and hilariously, an A* in English Literature. I didn't even read one of the books because I decided that if I smashed 3/4 papers and did poorly on 1, I'd get an A, but somehow did even better. My teachers were both pleased yet incredibly unamused.
Original post by sweatersquig
not too sure how gygs work but can i be tagged plz

Absolutely! If I tag you, that means you'll get a notification when I update :smile:
Original post by Edminzodo
Good luck! I'd love to be tagged.

I love the thread title! It's very relatable. I was literally the laziest A-Level student ever once I realised that there was no way I was going to get any A*s without studying all day, every day. I knew I could work to get an A but I wasn't willing to work about 50 times harder to go up one more grade. I remember one time we had to bring in our revision notes to show to the class and everyone had these beautiful flashcards and I had a few crumpled spider diagrams in black ink. I managed to get an A in History (full UMS in 2 papers), an A in Economics, an A* in my EPQ which I actually put effort into because I cared about it, and hilariously, an A* in English Literature. I didn't even read one of the books because I decided that if I smashed 3/4 papers and did poorly on 1, I'd get an A, but somehow did even better. My teachers were both pleased yet incredibly unamused.

Thank you!

Impressive results there - although perhaps you didn't have the same exam board as I do for Eng Lit, because with grade boundaries regularly at 89% for an A, there's no way I could wing an entire paper and still get the grades I need :s-smilie:
Thank you!

Impressive results there - although perhaps you didn't have the same exam board as I do for Eng Lit, because with grade boundaries regularly at 89% for an A, there's no way I could wing an entire paper and still get the grades I need :s-smilie:

Yeah, I got something like 68% in a year where it was 54% for an A . . . That's from looking at 2017's boundaries, they don't go as far back as 2016.

But, practice makes perfect! Someone has to get an A, so why shouldn't it be you? :smile:

Quick Reply