The Student Room Group

NCA Trainee Investigator/Intelligence 2019

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by bthlrn96
Hey everyone, Just wondering if most of you are applying straight out of uni or not? I didn't do as well as I'd hoped on the test (56%) and I'm worrying my personal statement may be lacking. I've worked 20 hours a week part time during my degree in different jobs so have that experience but I'm just worried about not having any real life experience really, just part-time jobs and volunteering through uni.

Don’t under estimate yourself. They do not expect everyone applying to have relevant experience or even life experience. I would imagine they will take a mix on. Well that’s what I would do anyway!
Reply 81
Hey everyone, Just wondering if most of you are applying straight out of uni or not? I didn't do as well as I'd hoped on the test (56%) and I'm worrying my personal statement may be lacking. I've worked 20 hours a week part time during my degree in different jobs so have that experience but I'm just worried about not having any real life experience really, just part-time jobs and volunteering through uni.

I’m going into my 3rd year and I’ve applied. If I get in before I finish uni I’d happily leave as I don’t really enjoy my course but I don’t know what else to do. My uni told us before the summer to start applying for full time jobs anyway so I’m not really sure how they expect people to do both

I went to uni some years ago, currently working in a full time marketing role. I was encouraged to apply based on the application stating that no direct experience was required, and that they are clearly keen to employ people from all walks of life. I think as long as you can demonstrate that you have the required attributes they are looking for (working as a team, leadership and delivering at pace) then you have just as good a chance as anyone else, no matter how much 'life experience' someone has :smile:
Hi all, just checking in here as well. I'm late 20s and from a completely different industry so not sure what to expect at all really. I actually only found the advert at 7pm on the closing date so really had to go for it on my personal statement!! I ended up writing about 900 words but I don't imagine I'll have much luck on the first part of the sift unfortunately.

I got over 76% in my test but it's such a completely different process to my usual applications that I have no idea what to expect.
Reply 84
All of you worrying about your application after getting more than 60 on your test need to chill, you've got nothing to worry about, your score is quite likely high enough for you to get through. If you got less than 50 (me) then you need to start worrying.
Hi there I’m in swansea too, got 63%, think my personal statement is strong but who knows. Yes I only applied for investigation and only Bridgend not prepared to travel.

Original post by Yvonne 86
I had 70% how about you? Yes I’m in Swansea, you?

I’m forgetting about it until middle of Sept, civil service jobs usually take at least 4-6 weeks to sift 🤦🏽*♀️
Original post by Fireofficer
Hi there I’m in swansea too, got 63%, think my personal statement is strong but who knows. Yes I only applied for investigation and only Bridgend not prepared to travel.

Ok best of luck! Let me know how you get on
Few more days and we should be geting some traction....application overview said they will start long listing after 1st of Sept...fasten your seatbelts people!
Reply 88
Original post by panther_ops
Few more days and we should be geting some traction....application overview said they will start long listing after 1st of Sept...fasten your seatbelts people!

Had a dream this morning I didnt get to the next stage and my feedback was awful 😂
Original post by LeeG33
Had a dream this morning I didnt get to the next stage and my feedback was awful 😂

What was your score %?!
Reply 90
What was your score %?!

My CSJT was 92 but my overall mark for the personal statement was 32 in the dream lol
Original post by LeeG33
My CSJT was 92 but my overall mark for the personal statement was 32 in the dream lol

WOW thats very good i had 62% but i done much better in prep. I think i was way overthinking some of them and this resulited in lower score. I think my PS is decent. I think anything more then 75% is like solid and you can relax more...
Reply 92
WOW thats very good i had 62% but i done much better in prep. I think i was way overthinking some of them and this resulited in lower score. I think my PS is decent. I think anything more then 75% is like solid and you can relax more...

Nah anything over 50 I'd say. The bench mark for CSJT is usually 40-44% from the ones I've done previously. I think 62% is nothing to worry about. Roll on September so things get moving.
What are the age ranges of people applying?
My days....I got 34% on the test. Really wish I hadn't read all of this now ahah. It does say I met the target though so? I will honestly be heartbroken if I don't make it. Though I probably should prepare myself for disappointment as I'm fresh out of uni with only a year of job experience so :/
Reply 95
am 21- fresh from uni
I'm 22- fresh outta uni also :cool:
Original post by Spookhums
My days....I got 34% on the test. Really wish I hadn't read all of this now ahah. It does say I met the target though so? I will honestly be heartbroken if I don't make it. Though I probably should prepare myself for disappointment as I'm fresh out of uni with only a year of job experience so ;/

If you log in to the portal and click on the feedback it should tell you if you met min % :>

Let us know...
Original post by Jacknhatncat
What are the age ranges of people applying?

I'm 29 :smile: Bit of a career change for me, i'm currently working full-time in Marketing but I studied Forensic Psychology some years ago so hoping that might help with my application somewhat, but who knows!
If you log in to the portal and click on the feedback it should tell you if you met min % :>

Let us know...

It says I scored better than 34% and that I am still being considered for the role. Hopefully, that gives others on this thread some more hope.

I also scored 'possible need for development' in Leadership, Working Together and Delivering at Pace which surprised me to be honest. I actually have no idea how I seemingly did so badly. I practised the tests I could find (not many being all that relevant to this one) and just answered as I thought made sense. There must either be some logic I didn't consider at all or I'm overthinking it. Really wish they gave feedback on it.

My 'aspiration' and 'Engagement' are a strength apparently..so at least there's that? ...aha. I did have to rush the whole application process a bit as I was (of course) in the middle of Romania by the time the vacancy posted. So this was done in my iPhone notes on trains and planes with minimal access to wifi and the rest done in the 3 days I had when I returned to the UK. Then the test had to be done pretty much in the next day. Was slightly stressful, especially as I had been waiting months for this opportunity to appear again.

Quick Reply

Latest