Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Napp
ah fair play there :P

Touch wood for a GE eh?
Reply 41
Original post by Deyesy
Touch wood for a GE eh?

To be honest i'd be very interested to see how a GE would turn out... it would be umm 'unfortunate' if Johnson lost his seat :lol:
Reply 42
Message to all MPs that vote contrary to their constituents on Brexit :
now you have a small taste of what it's like to have your power taken away from you, you don't like it do you.

Call it "undemocratic" if you like, but look in the mirror when you do.
Original post by Napp
fair although i would point out that the aforementioned are covered under the EU's core 'bill of rights', if you will.
https://ec.europa.eu/info/aid-development-cooperation-fundamental-rights/your-rights-eu/know-your-rights/citizens-rights_en

The privileges we will lose are much more varied from legal protection to safety standards. Especially after that prize prat Johnson bends over and receives Trumps todger.

I did think after posting 'hold on, I bet the EU actually considers that to be a 'right''. seems so..

For me personally, I like to keep the distinction between rights - being fundamentals that are essential to human decency, safety and life, and privileges - being things you are afforded by those who are above you that improve your quality of life but aren't essential to your basic freedoms/survival/decency.

So a right - to not be tortured.. a privileged - to be able to move to any European country you want. etc.
---

To the actual issue - I have a bad feeling for boris here.. I know that hard-brexiteers are cheering this on, but I feel that he may regret galvanizing all his enemies together against him. Before today he was facing down a badly coordinated mess or factions that were refusing to work together.. now he may well be facing a single block of opposition who knows what they want. For example, yesterday and before Tory MPs were still refusing to back a VONC, today though the same MPs are using far far harsher language and have come out saying they are looking at any alternative...
Reply 44
Original post by Zoqua
Precisely, it just stuns me really what is going on with our government right now, this makes the last few years look great (that's an achievement). I don't need to read dystopian novels anymore about the government betraying its citizens, falling apart and breaking the country, no, all I need to do now is read the news. I think another good point is that the majority of the people who are pushing a no deal are the ones who will be affected by it the least, and it is us young people (the large majority of leavers where aged over 45) who will be affected by it a lot more. If, when I go to university, I want to study abroad for instance, a few years ago I'd have had a lot of options, but after Brexit.... I think it's just shocking.

Couldnt have put it better myself.
One of the more bitterly ironic bits here though is these brexiteers seemed to state a need for more respect for the UK as one of their core reasons. Oh how the rest of the world is laughing now :lol: I was recently chatting to some of the Mandarins and special advisers in Wellington and they could barely keep themselves from laughing at the dreadful **** up the UK is in now.
Original post by Napp
I'm begining to question if you know what you voted for if you dont know this most basic fact of the matter? In just over 2 months we will lose the right to live and work in the EU (to name but one loss) that is by definition a loss of rights so i'm somewhat confused as to how you can attempt to deny that?

You seem to be trying to create a false equivalence here. the two matters are not even remotely similar - especially as i have yet o hear of a voter ever casting a vote on an MPs opinion on the vonc's.
The fact of the matter is we have countless constituencies which voted remain and they have been betrayed by their, formerly in line MPs, because theyre scared for their jobs and not being able to climb further up the greasy pole. whatever your opinion on brexit it is a shabby degradation of British democracy and shows why few of these cockroaches has any business being in Westminster.

Those are fair points, but I don't seem them as losses but future gains. Opportunities to engage with the world and not to be held back by the EU.
Imagine the Brexiteers' response if the EU decided to suspend the European Parliament to push through legislation they had no majority for, the irony is never lost on them.
Original post by imlikeahermit
I suppose you're right. When people realise they're ****ed, they'll just live with it... Can't wait until the food and medicine shortages... What kind of deluded fairytale world do you live in?

You are being alarmist. Everything will be fine in the end.
Reply 48
Original post by Wired_1800
Those are fair points, but I don't seem them as losses but future gains. Opportunities to engage with the world and not to be held back by the EU.

You'll have to indulge me here, what gains exactly?
The simple fact of geo-politics is the bigger they are the harder they grind you under their heals and lets face facts whether or not you like the EU it commands powder in any and all negotiations by virtue of its size... Britain does not and the world can happily see that you are all on the back foot here.
Never mind the rather basic query i have in that why would you want to give up a single market worth trillions of dollars for the rather nebulous wish (and it is at best a wish) to trade with unspecified countries. Call me old fashioned but i'd rather my French wine, German cars and Swiss watches (to take some tropes) over some ****e from Angola or what not.
Original post by naem071
Imagine the Brexiteers' response if the EU decided to suspend the European Parliament to push through legislation they had no majority for, the irony is never lost on them.

Touche. I can picture them frothing at the mouth, vile hypocrites.
Original post by Napp
To be honest i'd be very interested to see how a GE would turn out... it would be umm 'unfortunate' if Johnson lost his seat :lol:

I would be happier if the candidate against him wasn't an anti-semitic arse... Makes it a bit bitter-sweet
Original post by Napp
You'll have to indulge me here, what gains exactly?
The simple fact of geo-politics is the bigger they are the harder they grind you under their heals and lets face facts whether or not you like the EU it commands powder in any and all negotiations by virtue of its size... Britain does not and the world can happily see that you are all on the back foot here.
Never mind the rather basic query i have in that why would you want to give up a single market worth trillions of dollars for the rather nebulous wish (and it is at best a wish) to trade with unspecified countries. Call me old fashioned but i'd rather my French wine, German cars and Swiss watches (to take some tropes) over some ****e from Angola or what not.

Touche. I can picture them frothing at the mouth, vile hypocrites.

We can still have access to the single market without being members. Many countries have access including Canada, Switzerland and co.

it is ironic that you mentioned swiss watches when Switzerland is not in the EU.
Reply 51
Original post by fallen_acorns
I would be happier if the candidate against him wasn't an anti-semitic arse... Makes it a bit bitter-sweet

Do you mean in his seat or for the throne, as it were?
So many bad choices though it seems to be a nice question of who would you rather be rogered by; a pompous prick from Etin or an unreconstructed Stalinist ... which loon to run the asylum?
You are being alarmist. Everything will be fine in the end.

You are the best troll on this forum, no doubt...
Reply 53
We can still have access to the single market without being members. Many countries have access including Canada, Switzerland and co.

Err do i really need to point out the gaping chasm that is the difference between what unfettered access is and what Canada has?

it is ironic that you mentioned swiss watches when Switzerland is not in the EU.

Possibly not the best choice of example but it seemed more pithy than saying Italian meat. Then again the point stands either way as i was comparing your desire to turn your back on Europe in exchange for this rather odd hope that the rest of the world can fill the hole left - which by every metric cannot be done.

But hey, call me old fashioned, i dont fancy the idea of Britain getting demoted from a second class power to a 3rd class supplicant on a par with some of our former possessions. As i said the fact the Anglosphere is in stitches over this is rather telling.
Reply 54
Original post by Napp
Couldnt have put it better myself.
One of the more bitterly ironic bits here though is these brexiteers seemed to state a need for more respect for the UK as one of their core reasons. Oh how the rest of the world is laughing now :lol: I was recently chatting to some of the Mandarins and special advisers in Wellington and they could barely keep themselves from laughing at the dreadful **** up the UK is in now.

I don't blame them. I'm from Cambridge, and a fair amount of people in my old school and some of the people who were going to be going to college with me next year have parents who work with the university, and I know at least four people now who's parents have decided that there isn't much point staying in the UK and those people are leaving next year... The Universities are not going to enjoy Brexit. Yeah most foreigners rightly think the UK is mad. Well at least Boris Johnson is funding the improving of the prisons that we are going to have to put him and his followers in after they've messed up the country with a no-deal Brexit.
Reply 55
Original post by Zoqua
I don't blame them. I'm from Cambridge, and a fair amount of people in my school have parents who work with the university, and I know at least four people now who's parents have decided that there isn't much point staying in the UK and those people are leaving next year... The Universities are not going to enjoy Brexit. Yeah most foreigners rightly think the UK is mad. Well at least Boris Johnson is funding the improving of the prisons that we are going to have to put him and his followers in after they've messed up the country with a no-deal Brexit.

Indeed, I was asked if i was a 'Brexit refugee' the other day :lol:
Mmm although i stand by he deserves absolutely no props for this;
1) It was him and his regime who took a wrecking ball to the funding to start with, bringing it back to pre-cut levels is by definition not an improvement
2) I'm still curious where he intends to find the money for this. With all their preaching about 'magic money trees' he seems to be doing acting like a sugar baby with her boyfriends debit card... without noticing its empty :lol:
Original post by imlikeahermit
You are the best troll on this forum, no doubt...

Because I have an opposing view I am a troll? Really? Is that the world you live in?
Original post by Napp
Err do i really need to point out the gaping chasm that is the difference between what unfettered access is and what Canada has?

Possibly not the best choice of example but it seemed more pithy than saying Italian meat. Then again the point stands either way as i was comparing your desire to turn your back on Europe in exchange for this rather odd hope that the rest of the world can fill the hole left - which by every metric cannot be done.

But hey, call me old fashioned, i dont fancy the idea of Britain getting demoted from a second class power to a 3rd class supplicant on a par with some of our former possessions. As i said the fact the Anglosphere is in stitches over this is rather telling.

We will engage with the EU and the world. The EU wont punish us for choosing our destiny.
Reply 58
We will engage with the EU and the world. The EU wont punish us for choosing our destiny.

Not to sound rude but most of your arguments seem to be based on groundless hope which, whilst nice and all that, isnt generally how the world functions..?
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.
Original post by Napp
Not to sound rude but most of your arguments seem to be based on groundless hope which, whilst nice and all that, isnt generally how the world functions..?
Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Yes, we hope for a Brexit deal with the EU, but we are preparing for No Deal. For 3 years, we have been mugged off by Theresa May and Phillip Hammond, now we really leave the EU.

If the nation backed the PM in 2017, maybe we would have been in a better situation now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending