The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

changing course at Imperial College London

I have a confirmed place at Imperial, but I want to change my course before I officially register. Is this possible and if so, how would I do it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
I have a confirmed place at Imperial, but I want to change my course before I officially register. Is this possible and if so, how would I do it?

by asking the university rather than The Student Room?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Course swaps within a department are generally easy, e.g. from a 4 year MSci to three year BSc or "streight" Physics to Physics with Theoretical Physics (maths ability contingent), and best discussed with your personal tutor after you have registered, its something you can typically do all the way to the end of year 2.

Swaps between departments, e.g. Biochem to Medicine are much rarer, and very unlikely just before the start of term as all courses will be full to capacity. Most IC courses have a big lab based component, so there are hard limits on student numbers at the start of the year, you cant sneek an extra student or two on board if you run out of kit and bench space for core teaching activities.

What swap are you looking to do ?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Mr Wednesday
Course swaps within a department are generally easy, e.g. from an MSc to a BSc or "streight" Physics to Physics with Theoretical Physics, best discussed with your tutor after you have registered, and something you can typically do all the way to the end of year 2.

Swaps between departments, e.g. Biochem to Medicine are much rarer, and very unlikely just before the start of term as all courses will be full to capacity. Most IC courses have a big lab based component, so there are hard limits on student numbers at the start of the year, you cant sneek an extra student or two on board if you run out of kit and bench space for core teaching activities.

Would I be able to change my course from civil engineering to civil engineering with a year abroad with ease then?
Would I be able to change my course from civil engineering to civil engineering with a year abroad with ease then?

Not my dept so I dont know the details of the civ eng local rules, but this sounds possible, contingent on you having the correct language skills, or having time to acquire them in time. Year abroad students usually have to take some advanced language courses unless they are native speakers as the expectation is that you can take a full course load and do a project in the relevant language. There are also average mark requirements for these students, its not a great idea to send a struggling student abroad for a year where support can be very limited compared to Imperial.

I think its best to register, then go see your personal tutor and / or the course director in the 1st week of term to discuss your options and make sure you understand any language options or minimum mark requirements.
This sounds possible, contingent on you having the correct language skills, or having time to acquire them in time.

More detail here .....

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/civil-engineering/prospective-students/undergraduate-admissions/year-abroad/

It states " it may be possible to transfer during the MEng on the approval of the Year Abroad Coordinator, Dr Christian Onof."
Reply 6
Course swaps within a department are generally easy, e.g. from a 4 year MSci to three year BSc or "streight" Physics to Physics with Theoretical Physics (maths ability contingent), and best discussed with your personal tutor after you have registered, its something you can typically do all the way to the end of year 2.

I want to do a swap between departments. If the course is at full capacity, do you think they would be able to offer me a place for 2020 entry? My grades are above the requirements for the course I want to do.
I want to do a swap between departments. If the course is at full capacity, do you think they would be able to offer me a place for 2020 entry? My grades are above the requirements for the course I want to do.

Best to ask directly in this case, I would start firing off emails to your target Dept now to sound things out. Filling a high-demand course requires some brinksmanship. You never know exactly how many students will physically show up at the start of term and register, particularly for some internationals whose visa or funding packages might fall through at the last moment so a space might open up.

You need to ask Imperial. At top universities, like Imperial, entry requirements are necessary, but not sufficient.
Reply 9
Best to ask directly in this case, I would start firing off emails to your target Dept now to sound things out. Filling a high-demand course requires some brinksmanship. You never know exactly how many students will physically show up at the start of term and register, particularly for some internationals whose visa or funding packages might fall through at the last moment so a space might open up.

Who exactly should I email? My department or the one I want to change to?
Original post by RogerOxon
You need to ask Imperial. At top universities, like Imperial, entry requirements are necessary, but not sufficient.

Who do you think I should contact in particular?
Who exactly should I email? My department or the one I want to change to?

Start with the course director at your target Dept, they will be able to give you some "no-chance / perhaps, but wait for 1st week of term / apply next year" guidance. If you are having a major wobble about your course choice you also want to think hard about what you really want to do long term. A gap year can be a very positive thing if you use it in the right way to build expereince and gain maturity, but you do run the risk of losing a spot at Imperial if you have to re-appy for for a different Dept.

Contact the main admissions team then they will probably redirect you to your department. Or email whoever has been contacting you with your starting information.

The tutor for admissions in the department you want to transfer to. I would be prepared to be told that you need to withdraw and make a new UCAS application though.
Start with the course director at your target Dept, they will be able to give you some "no-chance / perhaps, but wait for 1st week of term / apply next year" guidance. If you are having a major wobble about your course choice you also want to think hard about what you really want to do long term. A gap year can be a very positive thing if you use it in the right way to build expereince and gain maturity, but you do run the risk of losing a spot at Imperial if you have to re-appy for for a different Dept.

Ok, I will do that, but is there any risk of automatically losing my place at my current department if I contact the department I want to go to?
Ok, I will do that, but is there any risk of automatically losing my place at my current department if I contact the department I want to go to?

No, I dont think there is any risk there, you are just doing a bit of fact finding and the admissions teams in different departments wont play that kind of game with each other.
No, I dont think there is any risk there, you are just doing a bit of fact finding and the admissions teams in different departments wont play that kind of game with each other.

I asked the department and unfortunately they said I would just have to apply again for next year. I'm a bit lost now...but thank you for your help anyway.
I asked the department and unfortunately they said I would just have to apply again for next year. I'm a bit lost now...but thank you for your help anyway.

Ok, thats as expected, but at least you had a quick response and a clear answer. If you made the grade for Imperial this time round then you are obviously well placed to make a competitive application to another Department next year provided their target grades are similar.

There is a risk if you go that route however, as you would have to make a new application from scratch. Give some thought to what you think is "wrong" about your current offer and where you want your degree to take you in the future. Imperial courses are tough by design, so you really want to be doing something you enjoy when the workload ramps up.
(edited 4 years ago)
Ok, thats as expected, but at least you had a quick response and a clear answer. If you made the grade for Imperial this time round then you are obviously well placed to make a competitive application to another Department next year provided their target grades are similar.

There is a risk if you go that route however, as you would have to make a new application from scratch. Give some thought to what you think is "wrong" about your current offer and where you want your degree to take you in the future. Imperial courses are tough by design, so you really want to be doing something you enjoy when the workload ramps up.

Thank you for all your help

What course you wanna change from ? I wanna swap too perhaps we can swap between our courses

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending