The Student Room Group

Six figure salary jobs without a degree

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mnot
You make 6 figures in almost any sector:
but it normally requires: hard work & ability.
But consultancies or 3rd party work that requires high difficulty or risk. These traits often have high financial rewards.

What do you mean by consultancies? From my understanding, most consulting jobs such as management consulting require degrees right?
Original post by i have no name
What do you mean by consultancies? From my understanding, most consulting jobs such as management consulting require degrees right?

Not management consultancy.

Consultancy can be people brought in to companies on short term contracts, for specific projects etc across almost any industry. It can be related to engineering, design, law, construction, project-management, personal/HR, clothing, retail, food, logistics, etc......

Consultant are essentially non-permanent advisors or task managers.

To become a consultant on a specific industry you do need to have exceptional skills and reputation for delivery to customers, and a track record. Its normally something people do in like their 40s after working for 20 years building a network and reputation, but if done successfully the financial rewards are huge.
Original post by HedgePig
Twenty pounds/hour doesn’t come close to 100k per year. You’d have to be working 11 hours day, every single day of the year to exceed 100k/ year.

An experienced actuary could be making more than 100k a year and strictly speaking you don’t need a degree to become an actuary.

Strictly speaking, most jobs do not require a degree.

If you look at the career and examination progression, you will see the overwhelming majority of senior actuaries have degrees.

I can't remember the last time I ran into a CRO/CFO (actuarial) or Chief Actuary who didn't have a degree, which would lead me to believe at the senior levels people do and will make decisions on you based on that.
Original post by HedgePig
Twenty pounds/hour doesn’t come close to 100k per year. You’d have to be working 11 hours day, every single day of the year to exceed 100k/ year.

An experienced actuary could be making more than 100k a year and strictly speaking you don’t need a degree to become an actuary.

Closer to 14 hours a day. And while experience actuaries can make over 100k a year and not go to university, the actuarial exams are extremely difficult.
Original post by olivia.francesca
Both of my parents do it.

Tell us more.
Reply 25
Interesting, UK plumbers earn 20 pounds per hour! Hell, I would not have knocked on someones door for a pittance of 20 quid! I would suggest to any aspiring tradesman within the UK to move quickly to Australia, New Zealand or the USA. Don't take my word for it, do some research on wages overseas, on average a plumber/electrician/builder within Australia charges approx $A110-120 per hour, plus that is often "cash in hand", that's 50 quid an hour post brexit, 500 quid per hour after brexit :smile:...
Original post by Zelce
Interesting, UK plumbers earn 20 pounds per hour! Hell, I would not have knocked on someones door for a pittance of 20 quid! I would suggest to any aspiring tradesman within the UK to move quickly to Australia, New Zealand or the USA. Don't take my word for it, do some research on wages overseas, on average a plumber/electrician/builder within Australia charges approx $A110-120 per hour, plus that is often "cash in hand", that's 50 quid an hour post brexit, 500 quid per hour after brexit :smile:...

There's many more factors at play here, so i know with the US all tradesman make way more money than UK counterparts (but so does everyone their, so where you sit relative to everyone else doesn't really change) as well as this you would likely be a contractor or 1-man business their meaning, insurance, healthcare etc is way more expensive. The only real reason you'll be better off in the states is taxes are far lower and essential living costs (rent, water, electricity) is much lower but this is the same for any job and doesnt mean its easy to do or there would be a mass exodus to the US.

Not sure about Australia or NZ, but id be careful just comparing salaries, its not really like-for-like
Reply 27
Original post by mnot
There's many more factors at play here, so i know with the US all tradesman make way more money than UK counterparts (but so does everyone their, so where you sit relative to everyone else doesn't really change) as well as this you would likely be a contractor or 1-man business their meaning, insurance, healthcare etc is way more expensive. The only real reason you'll be better off in the states is taxes are far lower and essential living costs (rent, water, electricity) is much lower but this is the same for any job and doesnt mean its easy to do or there would be a mass exodus to the US.

Not sure about Australia or NZ, but id be careful just comparing salaries, its not really like-for-like

Agreed, especially about UK's extortionate taxes, council rates etc. Another factor being 'goods' are way cheaper within the USA than anywhere within Europe. I guess it all comes down to what you want out of life, to me a reasonable house within UK is over the 1 million quid mark, less than half that within USA and an eighth that within Czech Republic NOT PRAGUE!!!

Guess I simply have always liked working for myself, when I want and as long as I want.....
Original post by Zelce
that's 50 quid an hour post brexit, 500 quid per hour after brexit :smile:...

Looks like you need remedial courses in English, maths or both.

Plus maybe a visit to a shrink?
Reply 29
Original post by Justvisited
Looks like you need remedial courses in English, maths or both.

Plus maybe a visit to a shrink?

Hey kiddo, didn't your 'mumsie' tell 'ya notaby rude to ya elders'? Your a genius boyo I noticed the mistake after I posted! Apart from that, me needing a 'shrink' bloody hell, anyone living in that dump UK are the ones needing a shrink!!! The whole country has gone insane, but the events are great for a laugh :smile:
Original post by Zelce

It’s a bit hard to move now. How do you suggest we move now ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending