The Student Room Group

Should i sit the BMAT or apply to medical school with what i have?

Im in two minds at to whether i should sit the BMAT in October or whether it is to risky to apply when i don't know my results before the ucas deadline.
I have just sat the UCAT (previously known as ukcat) and got a average score of 602, which i realise is not a competitive score for medical school.
I achieved 5A* and 8A's at GCSE which is also not that great. I also achieved all A's in my AS exam (we still do AS in Wales) but realise these won't really help my application as AS are no longer done in England.
With these in mind i wanted to know if it would be worth sitting the BMAT in hopes of getting a decent result or whether to apply for medical school this september with what i have and when inevitable get no offers take a gap year and re-apply with my A levels and possibly re-sit the UCAT?
(edited 4 years ago)
I reckon you should sit the BMAT regardless because you miss all the shots you don't take!
Furthermore, it's probably easier to prepare for the BMAT since it's something you can revise for (to a much further extent than the UCAT imho)
Resit the Ukcat
Hi @molly.d,
Looks like you'll have to apply strategically so make sure you research thoroughly - my friend didn't and just applied where she fancied and didn't get in. Don't just rely on websites like medic portal - make sure you look directly at the universities websites.

Personally I wouldn't sit BMAT in October and apply not knowing whether you'd done well or not, although I understand your dilemma as your UCAT is not great. Your GCSEs are good enough though.

Cardiff may be worth applying to as they look favourably upon a Welsh applicant (guessing it's because there's more likelihood of you staying in NHS Wales).
Some med schools don't look at UCAT scores but just want you to sit them.
Some med schools have a minimum UCAT cut off score which is quite low (Plymouth)
Some med schools have a scoring system of which the UCAT score is only 1 of them (maybe QUB, Birmingham, Nottingham)
Those that were in Adjustment / Clearing this year may be less competitive again next year (I think these were Lancaster, Lincoln, St George's, possibly QUB). Look in the medicine clearing thread in TSR.

Good luck - you "only" need 1 offer!
Reply 4
Original post by miahinespham09
Resit the Ukcat

you can only do the test once for a test cycle
I have done

Original post by Splishsplash
Hi @molly.d,
Looks like you'll have to apply strategically so make sure you research thoroughly - my friend didn't and just applied where she fancied and didn't get in. Don't just rely on websites like medic portal - make sure you look directly at the universities websites.

Personally I wouldn't sit BMAT in October and apply not knowing whether you'd done well or not, although I understand your dilemma as your UCAT is not great. Your GCSEs are good enough though.

Cardiff may be worth applying to as they look favourably upon a Welsh applicant (guessing it's because there's more likelihood of you staying in NHS Wales).
Some med schools have a minimum UCAT cut off score which is quite low (Plymouth)
Some med schools have a scoring system of which the UCAT score is only 1 of them (maybe QUB, Birmingham, Nottingham)
Those that were in Adjustment / Clearing this year may be less competitive again next year (I think these were Lancaster, Lincoln, St George's, possibly QUB). Look in the medicine clearing thread in TSR.

Hi I’ve just got my UCAT result back and I scored a 625 which isn’t ‘amazing’. I was just wondering if you know if that’s enough for any universities in London or should I also do the BMAT?
Original post by justwannapassthx
I have done

Hi I’ve just got my UCAT result back and I scored a 625 which isn’t ‘amazing’. I was just wondering if you know if that’s enough for any universities in London or should I also do the BMAT?

Sorry I didn’t apply to London so can’t say. Will you be looking at BMAT in October? If so, you’ll be applying before you get the results which is a risk.
Reply 7
Original post by justwannapassthx
I have done

There are only 3 London unis that use UCAT, Imperial and UCL use the BMAT
Kings have not admitted anyone with a UKCAT <640 in recent years
Barts uses UCAS tariff with UCAT and you would need the equivalent of about 5A*s at A level for an interview
SGUL's cut off was 622.5 last year, but has been higher than that in recent years (details on their website)
Reply 8
Hi @molly.d,

Thankyou so much that was extremely useful! I've been doing research into all medical schools and am narrowing it down to wear i might actually have a chance of getting in but i really don't feel like i'm good enough for any medical school with what i have!
Reply 9
Original post by molly.d
Thankyou so much that was extremely useful! I've been doing research into all medical schools and am narrowing it down to wear i might actually have a chance of getting in but i really don't feel like i'm good enough for any medical school with what i have!

You can get into medical school with your UCAT score. Do feel free to sit the BMAT and apply to 1 or 2 BMAT universities. Make the other three Sunderland, Keele and King's EMDP (if you are eligible); you certainly aren't limited to these universities, there are many other gateway courses that would consider you, if you are able to meet the criteria.
Liverpool and SGUL are both less strict regarding UCAT requirements recently. I think you would be in with a chance at many medical schools.
I think doing the BMAT would be good to open up your options due to your UCAT score. There are a few universities which may still consider you as mentioned by the other posters but having a wider choice would only increase your chances!

Your GCSE's are good for a fair number of universities so having the BMAT, in my opinion, would help a lot.

Good luck :smile:
Hi @molly.d are you looking at Oct BMAT? If you are I think you don’t get your results before the Ucas application closing date. Others can confirm as I only did UKCAT. As your stats stand now, you should be able to get an interview if you apply carefully. Everyone is equal once you get to that stage.

Why do you think those unis were less competitive? Those unis were not in clearing because they didn't get enough good applicants - they were planned places saved specifically for clearing aimed at grabbing highly qualified candidates who missed out elsewhere. They still required interviews, and still scrutinised results including UCAT score.
Hi @molly.d are you looking at Oct BMAT? If you are I think you don’t get your results before the Ucas application closing date. Others can confirm as I only did UKCAT. As your stats stand now, you should be able to get an interview if you apply carefully. Everyone is equal once you get to that stage.

The October BMAT is sat after the deadline, so yes.
Original post by nexttime
Why do you think those unis were less competitive? Those unis were not in clearing because they didn't get enough good applicants - they were planned places saved specifically for clearing aimed at grabbing highly qualified candidates who missed out elsewhere. They still required interviews, and still scrutinised results including UCAT score.

The October BMAT is sat after the deadline, so yes.

I know a fair number of guys who had less than brilliant results & scores getting into these institutions, some through clearing. They may have aced their interviews, hard to say. The fact they got to interview stage would suggest an increased probability of getting an interview.
Have you evidence (soz I haven’t gone into the unis websites) that they deliberately withhold places for clearing as that’s an interesting tactic to attract the best candidates.
(edited 4 years ago)
I know a fair number of guys who had less than brilliant results & scores getting into these institutions, some through clearing. They may have aced their interviews, hard to say. The fact they got to interview stage would suggest an increased probability of getting an interview.
Have you evidence (soz I haven’t gone into the unis websites) that they deliberately withhold places for clearing as that’s an interesting tactic to attract the best candidates.

Here is an article talking about St George's planning to enter clearing after "success last year".
https://www.gponline.com/university-offer-50-places-study-medicine-clearing-week/article/1441983

If you can find up to date competition ratios for these unis, you'll also see they still get vastly (average 10 to 1 or more) applicants per place, so its not like you can argue they are not getting enough applicants.

Admittedly, i am not aware of specific sources for the other unis stating it was planned. In theory, they could have set their standards super super high so that even having 10 applicants per place didn't get them enough candidates. Either way: competition for those clearing places will have been fierce.
Original post by nexttime
Here is an article talking about St George's planning to enter clearing after "success last year".
https://www.gponline.com/university-offer-50-places-study-medicine-clearing-week/article/1441983

If you can find up to date competition ratios for these unis, you'll also see they still get vastly (average 10 to 1 or more) applicants per place, so its not like you can argue they are not getting enough applicants.

Admittedly, i am not aware of specific sources for the other unis stating it was planned. In theory, they could have set their standards super super high so that even having 10 applicants per place didn't get them enough candidates. Either way: competition for those clearing places will have been fierce.

Thanks for the article. Did not appreciate this was a deliberate policy at St Georges although as you say, competition would be fierce judging by the number of enquires (8000) for 50 places.
Reply 16
Original post by AAMC
You can get into medical school with your UCAT score. Do feel free to sit the BMAT and apply to 1 or 2 BMAT universities. Make the other three Sunderland, Keele and King's EMDP (if you are eligible); you certainly aren't limited to these universities, there are many other gateway courses that would consider you, if you are able to meet the criteria.
Liverpool and SGUL are both less strict regarding UCAT requirements recently. I think you would be in with a chance at many medical schools.

Thank you so much that's really useful. I'm definitely considering Sunderland but can't seem to find much information about their admissions process, their website is very vague. Do you know where i can find any info on this?
Reply 17
Original post by molly.d
Thank you so much that's really useful. I'm definitely considering Sunderland but can't seem to find much information about their admissions process, their website is very vague. Do you know where i can find any info on this?

Sunderland use the same process as Keele - a Roles and Responsibilities form which is their verson of the PS.
There is loads of info about it on Keele's website
Reply 18
Original post by GANFYD
Sunderland use the same process as Keele - a Roles and Responsibilities form which is their verson of the PS.
There is loads of info about it on Keele's website

Great thankyou!
Reply 19
Just thought i'd update on what i ended up doing for any future applicants who might be in the same position and looking for advice. I decided not the sit the bmat and just applied strategically. I applied to Cardiff, Keele, Sunderland and Liverpool and received interviews for all except Liverpool (which i knew was going to be a long-shot). I received offers from Cardiff, Keele and Sunderland and i have firmed Cardiff. My best advice for people who find themselves in this situation when applying for medicine is to research thoroughly and apply to places that play to your strengths, it worked for me and before applying i felt completely hopeless about getting into medical school. Also thank you to everyone on the forum who gave me advice it really saved my application!

Latest

Trending

Trending