The Student Room Group

Not doing well in geography!

how to get an A* in geography from E in 5 months, is it possible?I am a student who doesn't believe in myself and feel as if I am not so clever. Any tips? anyone going through a similar problem while doing A levels
The make or break with A Level Geography is in the essays, consistent high marks in all six will comfortably allow you to get an A. Start by downloading The Guardian app, you may not agree with their points but take particular notice to their editorials and opinion pieces, you'll see how good writers string together the points they want to make into a coherent and well produced essay of sorts. Try and emulate how they go about conveying information: they'll begin with a short introduction that usually contains some succinct facts, they'll show a series of different viewpoints each supported with evidence, and they'll come to a conclusion based on their own judgement by taking into account the preceding content.

You need to be evaluative throughout, as you're making a point you should think about how people could argue against it and write the opposing argument. If you're asked whether you agree with a statement, don't fall into the trap of focusing on one angle and arguing for and against on that basis. I'll use an example, "Suburbanisation has been the leading cause of social and economic inequality in urban environments". Start with a small introduction relating to the statement, then begin with an argument that would agree, then display the counter argument, use your case studies and insert some facts to support both of them. Then look at a different angle altogether, maybe its deindustrialisation that's led to greater inequalities, but that's largely in HIC's and industrialisation has spurred inequalities in NEE's and LIC's. Maybe the leading cause in countries like the UK is gentrification and in coming years we can expect it to take a greater role, again use case studies to support this. Link every paragraph at the end back to the question, this should help to keep your essay grounded. Notice how I included both spatial and temporal scales, looking at a HIC compared to an LIC and then looking at how the causes of inequalities have changed over time using deindustrialisation from the 1970's and modern gentrification. At the conclusion, summarise all the preceding content and come to an overall conclusion as to whether you agree with the statement or not. Do not sit on the fence by saying 'I both agree and disagree' or words to that effect, that is a total cop out and not what the evaluative conclusion is about. Say you either agree or disagree and justify why, then acknowledge and briefly explain the alternative view point and why people may disagree with you, but then say why your conclusion has merit over the other.

Cherry pick your case study content, there's no need for written diarrhoea, stay succinct so that the facts you're presenting actually go about to support the argument. You also should look at how academic essays are written, just have a gander across Google Scholar, notice the advanced level vocabulary they use and then reflect back at your own in a previous essay. Time and time again I've read essays that sound childlike in the choice of language used, even an essay with poor content can pick up some marks if it is at least well written. Remember to keep yourself well read, think of recent examples and issues being talked about in the media, see if what you know from outside out of the specification lends itself to the essay and include it. Good luck!
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by naem071
The make or break with A Level Geography is in the essays, consistent high marks in all six will comfortably allow you to get an A. Start by downloading The Guardian app, you may not agree with their points but take particular notice to their editorials and opinion pieces, you'll see how good writers string together the points they want to make into a coherent and well produced essay of sorts. Try and emulate how they go about conveying information: they'll begin with a short introduction that usually contains some succinct facts, they'll show a series of different viewpoints each supported with evidence, and they'll come to a conclusion based on their own judgement by taking into account the preceding content.

You need to be evaluative throughout, as you're making a point you should think about how people could argue against it and write the opposing argument. If you're asked whether you agree with a statement, don't fall into the trap of focusing on one angle and arguing for and against on that basis. I'll use an example, to the best of what I remember, from the 2019 exams. "Suburbanisation has been the leading cause of social and economic inequality in urban environments". Start with a small introduction relating to the statement, then begin with an argument that would agree, then display the counter argument, use your case studies and insert some facts to support both of them. Then look at a different angle altogether, maybe its deindustrialisation that's led to greater inequalities, but that's largely in HIC's and industrialisation has spurred inequalities in NEE's and LIC's. Maybe the leading cause in countries like the UK is gentrification and in coming years we can expect it to take a greater role, again use case studies to support this. Link every paragraph at the end back to the question, this should help to keep your essay grounded. Notice how I included both spatial and temporal scales, looking at a HIC compared to an LIC and then looking at how the causes of inequalities have changed over time using deindustrialisation from the 1970's and modern gentrification. At the conclusion, summarise all the preceding content and come to an overall conclusion as to whether you agree with the statement or not. Do not sit on the fence by saying 'I both agree and disagree' or words to that effect, that is a total cop out and not what the evaluative conclusion is about. Say you either agree or disagree and justify why, then acknowledge and briefly explain the alternative view point and why people may disagree with you, but then say why your conclusion has merit over the other.

Cherry pick your case study content, there's no need for written diarrhoea, stay succinct so that the facts you're presenting actually go about to support the argument. You also should look at how academic essays are written, just have a gander across Google Scholar, notice the advanced level vocabulary they use and then reflect back at your own in a previous essay. Time and time again I've read essays that sound childlike in the choice of language used, even an essay with poor content can pick up some marks if it is at least well written. Remember to keep yourself well read, think of recent examples and issues being talked about in the media, see if what you know from outside out of the specification lends itself to the essay and include it. Good luck!

Damn i've always followed a pattern but the way you write disregards it and exceeds. I'm curious did you do aqa? if so how did the exams go and how did you get around answering exam questions as there's so few past papers and i normally do better from practice. Did you write essays with your own questions etc?
Original post by UrWelcome
Damn i've always followed a pattern but the way you write disregards it and exceeds. I'm curious did you do aqa? if so how did the exams go and how did you get around answering exam questions as there's so few past papers and i normally do better from practice. Did you write essays with your own questions etc?

I did AQA, geography has always been my strongest subject and I achieved an A* on both papers with full marks in the NEA. I do use the basic PEEL structure when writing a paragraph, but in terms of broader essay structure I never saw the point in subscribing to a rigid pattern as such.

There's a lot of exam questions available, download SAMS 1 for both the AS and A-level exams. SAMS 2 is locked on AQA's secure portal, but your teacher can give you access to the papers. You'll also have access to the 2018 and 2019 AS and A-level series, which should give you plenty of exam practice. The CGP revision guide has a fair share of practice questions, I also nabbed a couple from school textbooks. You won't find yourself in a shortage of practice questions any time soon.
(edited 4 years ago)
Really helpful!
Original post by naem071
I did AQA, geography has always been my strongest subject and I achieved an A* on both papers with full marks in the NEA. I do use the basic PEEL structure when writing a paragraph, but in terms of broader essay structure I never saw the point in subscribing to a rigid pattern as such.

There's a lot of exam questions available, download SAMS 1 for both the AS and A-level exams. SAMS 2 is locked on AQA's secure portal, but your teacher can give you access to the papers. You'll also have access to the 2018 and 2019 AS and A-level series, which should give you plenty of exam practice. The CGP revision guide has a fair share of practice questions, I also nabbed a couple from school textbooks. You won't find yourself in a shortage of practice questions any time soon.

Ah never even knew about the SAM's thanks for all the tips ^^
Original post by naem071

You need to be evaluative throughout, as you're making a point you should think about how people could argue against it and write the opposing argument. If you're asked whether you agree with a statement, don't fall into the trap of focusing on one angle and arguing for and against on that basis. I'll use an example, to the best of what I remember, from the 2019 exams. "Suburbanisation has been the leading cause of social and economic inequality in urban environments". Start with a small introduction relating to the statement, then begin with an argument that would agree, then display the counter argument, use your case studies and insert some facts to support both of them. Then look at a different angle altogether, maybe its deindustrialisation that's led to greater inequalities, but that's largely in HIC's and industrialisation has spurred inequalities in NEE's and LIC's. Maybe the leading cause in countries like the UK is gentrification and in coming years we can expect it to take a greater role, again use case studies to support this. Link every paragraph at the end back to the question, this should help to keep your essay grounded. Notice how I included both spatial and temporal scales, looking at a HIC compared to an LIC and then looking at how the causes of inequalities have changed over time using deindustrialisation from the 1970's and modern gentrification. At the conclusion, summarise all the preceding content and come to an overall conclusion as to whether you agree with the statement or not. Do not sit on the fence by saying 'I both agree and disagree' or words to that effect, that is a total cop out and not what the evaluative conclusion is about. Say you either agree or disagree and justify why, then acknowledge and briefly explain the alternative view point and why people may disagree with you, but then say why your conclusion has merit over the other.

thank u so much. I was really stuck on how to start, but I think this will help me a lot.
Original post by naem071

I'm doing edexcel so will this structure still help. Also does SAMS have edexcel question papers as well
Original post by Believe_Somi
I'm doing edexcel so will this structure still help. Also does SAMS have edexcel question papers as well

SAMS refers to Sample Assessment Materials, Edexcel will have these on their website. Having had a glance at Edexcel's marking criteria on the 20 mark essays there isn't any real difference to AQA. Be sure to balance AO1 (knowledge and understanding) and AO2 (evaluation), with a slightly stronger emphasis on the AO2.
(edited 4 years ago)
Really just don't worry. You won't fail unless you put yourself into this cycle of consistent negativity and self-doubt.

You can improve and that simply starts with you putting regular efforts in order to achieve maximum gains. Pick up that textbook and regularly practice some exam-style questions and then get your teacher to mark them. See where you've lost the marks. Good luck :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by naem071

Thank you, this helped a lot in the way of understanding what top mark essays looks like.
I have few more questions: how do you structure your 6 analysis questions? and also 9 markers (space on paper is less than one page and im finding it hard to not write more than space provided). do you use PEEL for both?
Many thanks.
Original post by Yw88
Thank you, this helped a lot in the way of understanding what top mark essays looks like.
I have few more questions: how do you structure your 6 analysis questions? and also 9 markers (space on paper is less than one page and im finding it hard to not write more than space provided). do you use PEEL for both?
Many thanks.

A popular way of approaching 6 mark questions is as such: first outline the broad general picture and the overall trend shown by the data, then narrow down onto smaller subsets of the data. Pick out the high point and low points, manipulate the data by showing percentage increases/decreases and factorial increases/decreases - make sure you reference the numbers throughout your response. Try and make links between multiple datasets, but without providing explanations (saying 'this suggests that' can be acceptable so long as you don't stray into trying to explain the data). Look for any anomalies, if possible you could critique the data and state why it may not be as reliable as it may seem. Write a very brief summary at the end. The best way to approach these is to 'write like a statistician' - look at ONS data analysis and emulate the language and methodical approach they use.

9 markers are essentially mini-essays. Don't worry about space, in the exams you can ask for extra paper, the most important thing is to make sure you stick to your timings. Write a brief introduction, then write two paragraphs using the PEEL structure, ensure they are evaluative in nature and include case study content to support your answer. At the end you should write a small conclusion summarising your points.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by naem071

hi do you know the exact question for this, the suburbanisation one thanks for the help!
Original post by Gabicp
hi do you know the exact question for this, the suburbanisation one thanks for the help!

I definitely don't remember it, and you definitely don't need it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending