The Student Room Group

Newcastle A100 2020 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Does Newcastle want applicants to get AAA predicted or AAA achieved in AS?
I just did my UKCAT today and I got 600 average which is low due to my one week of minimal revision. Do I still have a chance on the partners programme? What are the UCAT thresholds for partners? My last hope was actually applying to Newcastle but even that seems near to impossible this year. I may have to take a gap year and apply. Any suggestions or statistics on the threasholds would be really appreciated.
Reply 22
Original post by random-user246
I just did my UKCAT today and I got 600 average which is low due to my one week of minimal revision. Do I still have a chance on the partners programme? What are the UCAT thresholds for partners? My last hope was actually applying to Newcastle but even that seems near to impossible this year. I may have to take a gap year and apply. Any suggestions or statistics on the threasholds would be really appreciated.

The Partners cut off has been a bit all over the place, but has generally been around 650, so I suspect you are a bit low, sorry!
Original post by GANFYD
The Partners cut off has been a bit all over the place, but has generally been around 650, so I suspect you are a bit low, sorry!

Is there a chance of being at 600? I checked a few years and the average was quite low. But not sure. I mean my only other chance is to get achieved a level results and apply the following year. I’m really not sure what to do.
Original post by GANFYD

I don't have the best GCSE results and I was thinking of achieving my a level results, taking a gap year and reapplying. What are the chances of me getting into medicine after a level results and a hopefully a higher UCAT score? Which Universities look highly of achieved a level results?
Reply 25
I don't have the best GCSE results and I was thinking of achieving my a level results, taking a gap year and reapplying. What are the chances of me getting into medicine after a level results and a hopefully a higher UCAT score? Which Universities look highly of achieved a level results?

A few years ago the cut offs were weird due to a UKCAT mess up the year before .
You stand a very good chance applying to places with achieved A levels
Advantage with Achieved A levels

Cardiff (add points from achieved A levels to GCSE points), UEA, Aberdeen (both give extra points for achieved A levels), Liverpool (say "Applicants with a minimum of 12 points at GCSE may be considered if, at the time of application, they have achieved AAA in Biology, Chemistry and 1 other academic A2 level at a single sitting"), and Leicester (will actually interview anyone with achieved grades who meets minimum requirements, stating " Provided you have attained at least grade B at first sitting in the 4 mandatory GCSE subjects, plus AAA or A*AB at A level (or IB 36 or more including 666 or 7,6,51 in HL subjects) in our required subjects within 2 years of your GCSEs, AND have a total UCAT score in the top 7 deciles with an SJT Band 1-3 we will automatically invite you to interview provided you are within 2 years of leaving school.”

Post your stats onthe megathread and people will offer advice about where you can possibly apply this year and then if unsuccessful you can take a gap year
Original post by GANFYD
A few years ago the cut offs were weird due to a UKCAT mess up the year before .
You stand a very good chance applying to places with achieved A levels
Advantage with Achieved A levels

Cardiff (add points from achieved A levels to GCSE points), UEA, Aberdeen (both give extra points for achieved A levels), Liverpool (say "Applicants with a minimum of 12 points at GCSE may be considered if, at the time of application, they have achieved AAA in Biology, Chemistry and 1 other academic A2 level at a single sitting"), and Leicester (will actually interview anyone with achieved grades who meets minimum requirements, stating " Provided you have attained at least grade B at first sitting in the 4 mandatory GCSE subjects, plus AAA or A*AB at A level (or IB 36 or more including 666 or 7,6,51 in HL subjects) in our required subjects within 2 years of your GCSEs, AND have a total UCAT score in the top 7 deciles with an SJT Band 1-3 we will automatically invite you to interview provided you are within 2 years of leaving school.”

Post your stats onthe megathread and people will offer advice about where you can possibly apply this year and then if unsuccessful you can take a gap ye

Can you tag me there, unsure where the thread is. I want to make Newcastle my firm choice, do I have the chance with achieved a level results and a better UCAT score? Which Universities discard your GCSES once you have a
evel results, because realistically I don't think id get an offer for medicine from any uni that takes GCSESs into consideration regardless of my a level grades.
Reply 27
Can you tag me there, unsure where the thread is. I want to make Newcastle my firm choice, do I have the chance with achieved a level results and a better UCAT score? Which Universities discard your GCSES once you have a
evel results, because realistically I don't think id get an offer for medicine from any uni that takes GCSESs into consideration regardless of my a level grades.

I have just posted above all those who give and advantage for achieved A levels?
Newcastle will accept you as long as you are predicted or have achieved 3 As and are above their UCAT cut off

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5622970&page=68
Original post by GANFYD
I have just posted above all those who give and advantage for achieved A levels?
Newcastle will accept you as long as you are predicted or have achieved 3 As and are above their UCAT cut off

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5622970&page=68

Oh ok thank you very much.
Hi there,
I am planning to apply to newcastle this year, do they allow languages as one of their a levels, as i was quite confused with what subjects they allow
Is 2870 on the UCAT good enough for an interview?
Is the UCAT cut off higher for international student. I got 2,800. Is it too risky to apply ?
Original post by MaxMed

Would imagine so however, the threshold varies slightly from year to year dependent upon how well people score. You can find the cut off scores for interview from previous years on the medical school admissions site.
Original post by Piggieeez
Would imagine so however, the threshold varies slightly from year to year dependent upon how well people score. You can find the cut off scores for interview from previous years on the medical school admissions site.

Ok thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 34
Original post by earl2334
Does Newcastle want applicants to get AAA predicted or AAA achieved in AS?

Newcastle do not score or rank AS levels. They need AAA predicted and then rank in UCAT score
Reply 35
Original post by Tharunya1234
Hi there,
I am planning to apply to newcastle this year, do they allow languages as one of their a levels, as i was quite confused with what subjects they allow

They allow ANY THREE subjects at A level (just need an A predicted and if it has a practical element, this must be passed)
Reply 36
Original post by MaxMed

Has been every other year
Reply 37
Original post by David Chan88
Is the UCAT cut off higher for international student. I got 2,800. Is it too risky to apply ?

International cut off has been really variable, I guess because of the small cohort size. 700 should be OK unless deciles change a lot
Here are the cut off scores for international students in previous years: 

2017 2100 (only 3 parts to UKCAT this year); 2016 2700; 2015 - 2300 (the year after UKCAT deciles went crazy when people were put off applying due to the high cut off the year before).
I do not have 2018 and 2019 figures but I am sure they will tell you if you ask (and do post on here to assist others)
Dear Ganfyd, That's good news to know. Yup I will write to the university for the latest statistics. I saw in thier website that there were applicants from their PATHWAY routes (including some overseas applicants) who may require lower UCAT - a bit worry if the min. given was referring to this group and the actual UCAT cut off for other international applicants are much higher. I got UCAT 2800, SJ Band 3, with 9 ICGSE A* and equilvant A*A*A* predicted grades, any recommendations ? Quuen Mary, Exter, Cardiff are out of questions as for Cambridge PreU applicants like me, they require the full Diploma.Thanks
Reply 39
Original post by David Chan88
Dear Ganfyd, That's good news to know. Yup I will write to the university for the latest statistics. I saw in thier website that there were applicants from their PATHWAY routes (including some overseas applicants) who may require lower UCAT - a bit worry if the min. given was referring to this group and the actual UCAT cut off for other international applicants are much higher. I got UCAT 2800, SJ Band 3, with 9 ICGSE A* and equilvant A*A*A* predicted grades, any recommendations ? Quuen Mary, Exter, Cardiff are out of questions as for Cambridge PreU applicants like me, they require the full Diploma.Thanks

Post on the megathread and people will try to advise

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending