The Student Room Group

history

what is the best way on how to revise for history
Original post by ._.dreaming._.

For me, I created mindmaps and que cards on all the different topics and then used practice papers to test my knowledge. Repetition is the main thing though. Good luck with your revision.
At my school, we got given revision booklets which i turned some into flashcards (didnt have time to do all) which i then either just went through the flashcards repeatedly or for the booklets i didnt make flashcards for, i just read through them. while reading through these i would put emphasis on dates and names e.g. "the magna carta was signed in 1215, 1215, 1215, 1215 ,1215" in order to get it in my head which worked considering i can still remmeber that date lol . i then the week or two leading upto the exam, did past paper questions to reinforce knwoledge. i focused on the big essay questions and once i wrote them, i read through them so i had a answer prepared. also, learn the markscheme and know which questions need context, content and provenece. if u manage to memorise a essay this can come in favour as on my elizabethan england exam i got the exact question i wrote the nights leading upto the exam which meant i flew through the exam. this tactic got me a 8 in history however bare in mind everyone is different as im quite an odd case as passive revision works best for me (reading through notes) and this is very passive heavy while actually most people work best with more active revision doing questions, making notes, making posters etc.. DO NOT MAKE THE MISTAKE I MADE - REVISE EVERYTHING, i assumed some content which appeared the year before couldnt come up which on my power and the people paper 2 of the questions were on stuff i didnt revise which could of brought me up a grade if i did study it.
Go on the website Seneca Learning. Helped me a lot with learning dates and even making my own notes because it condenses the course down a lot - helped me get an 8 this summer! Also, if your school doesn’t make you do exam questions in class, I highly recommend you do them at home as I was doing at least one every lesson and you MUST stick to the time limits that you’ll have in your exam for each question, give or take a few minutes of course. Hope this helps!
for gcses i just wrote loads of essay plans for evety single event and memorised them
Original post by ._.dreaming._.

i just did my gcses and i got a 9 in history. I did lots of timelines- one for each chapter in the textbook which helped a lot. make notes and make sure you start your revision early! i only started revising for history the week before the exam (i wouldn't recommend this!). also do practice questions!!! this is essential and get your teacher to mark them. i would try and do at least one a day especially in the weeks before the exam.
Original post by emilyfields101
i just did my gcses and i got a 9 in history. I did lots of timelines- one for each chapter in the textbook which helped a lot. make notes and make sure you start your revision early! i only started revising for history the week before the exam (i wouldn't recommend this!). also do practice questions!!! this is essential and get your teacher to mark them. i would try and do at least one a day especially in the weeks before the exam.

If you only started revising history the week before your exam, you must be pretty darn intelligent to get a 9 - well done!

Quick Reply