The Student Room Group

Got AAB missed my firm offer for dentistry what do i do now

I initially had an offer for Birmingham for AAA but missed it narrowly due to my B in biology which is currently 2 marks off an A. I am getting paper 3 remarked but i really doubt its going to go up. Now i dont really know what to do. If i should resit or take my current dental therapy offer and try for graduate dentistry despite how crazy competitive it is. However i find a resit risky as I dont know how well i can do the ukcat again and even if i’ll get any offers as unis wont consider me as well as other applicants who got their grades a first time around. Any advice soon would be greatly appreciated cos im just so lost
why would you not get all 3 papers remarked? I was about to send just one of my chem papers off, but then I didn't want the guilt of not gaining potential marks from all my papers....so I sent all 3 off and gained 2 more marks from my least expected paper!!! With bio I've heard up to 4 marks being gained!!!
Reply 2
Original post by Simrankpy
why would you not get all 3 papers remarked? I was about to send just one of my chem papers off, but then I didn't want the guilt of not gaining potential marks from all my papers....so I sent all 3 off and gained 2 more marks from my least expected paper!!! With bio I've heard up to 4 marks being gained!!!

I sent paper 1 and 2 to be remarked initially as my essay in paper 3 was already marked really high as i got 23/25 so my teachers doubted i could gain any marks there. I got my papers back, paper 1 went up 2 marks and paper 2 has stayed the same and was 4 marks off before so now am 2 marks currently off :frown: I was afraid of one paper going up and the other going down so was trying to avoid that scenario
Original post by Nomi980
I sent paper 1 and 2 to be remarked initially as my essay in paper 3 was already marked really high as i got 23/25 so my teachers doubted i could gain any marks there. I got my papers back, paper 1 went up 2 marks and paper 2 has stayed the same and was 4 marks off before so now am 2 marks currently off :frown: I was afraid of one paper going up and the other going down so was trying to avoid that scenario

I've noticed aqa rarely do the "dropping marks" scenario. Is there any chance you can send the 3rd paper off or is it too late?
Reply 4
I've noticed aqa rarely do the "dropping marks" scenario. Is there any chance you can send the 3rd paper off or is it too late?

Iv sent it off 2 days ago via non priority but i really dont have any hope of it going up, but at least iv tried all i can do.
if you do resit....yuo just have the one A-level to focus on but then for the degree it's three years. Think of it this way your still more competitive than people that are resitting more than 1 A-level if you get what I mean. And for resit uni's it's just king's that consider resit applicants as less competitive there is however a handful of uni's that accept resits for dentistry. It's all about how confident you are applying this time round knowing that this is your second round at things like UKCAT, ucas etc. so it should be less stressful if I were in your position.
Original post by Nomi980
Iv sent it off 2 days ago via non priority but i really dont have any hope of it going up, but at least iv tried all i can do.

that's good...at least you got rid of the "guilt" factor :smile:
Reply 7
if you do resit....yuo just have the one A-level to focus on but then for the degree it's three years. Think of it this way your still more competitive than people that are resitting more than 1 A-level if you get what I mean. And for resit uni's it's just king's that consider resit applicants as less competitive there is however a handful of uni's that accept resits for dentistry. It's all about how confident you are applying this time round knowing that this is your second round at things like UKCAT, ucas etc. so it should be less stressful if I were in your position.

The unis i know who offer resits are kings, leeds, sheffield, manchester, bristol, plymouth which are a good selection. However will still take me 6 years including the gap year if i do end up getting accepted, while taking the dental therapy BSc will help secure me a job as something to fall back on, i will cover a lot of the same modules within dentistry so making graduate dentistrys workload much easier to manage and will be able to complete this within 7 years. I feel as though i would be a good candidate for graduate dentistry as i would have gained a lot of clinical experience through dental therapy. I also don’t currently want to go through the application process again as it was very draining the first time round and the stress really affected my mental health. Do you think this would be the right decision?
Original post by Nomi980
The unis i know who offer resits are kings, leeds, sheffield, manchester, bristol, plymouth which are a good selection. However will still take me 6 years including the gap year if i do end up getting accepted, while taking the dental therapy BSc will help secure me a job as something to fall back on, i will cover a lot of the same modules within dentistry so making graduate dentistrys workload much easier to manage and will be able to complete this within 7 years. I feel as though i would be a good candidate for graduate dentistry as i would have gained a lot of clinical experience through dental therapy. I also don’t currently want to go through the application process again as it was very draining the first time round and the stress really affected my mental health. Do you think this would be the right decision?

yup mental health before everything.....No point in applying when your not 100% certain you want to do the course. Plus if your happy with alternatives then why not go for those!
Reply 9
yup mental health before everything.....No point in applying when your not 100% certain you want to do the course. Plus if your happy with alternatives then why not go for those!

Im definitely going to apply for dentistry in the future as iv come to realise it’s something im truly passionate about, however for me i think this alternative route would be more suited

Quick Reply

Latest