The Student Room Group

What will happen when parliament will be suspended?

What is this all about and what will be the consequences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
basically boris johnson asked the queen to suspend parliament to prevent them from blocking a no-deal brexit to give him a better negotiating position with the EU. however lots of people consider this to be undemocratic because it is bypassing parliament.
Reply 2
Original post by Billy345
basically boris johnson asked the queen to suspend parliament to prevent them from blocking a no-deal brexit to give him a better negotiating position with the EU. however lots of people consider this to be undemocratic because it is bypassing parliament.

Parliament has had years to sort this mess out, yet they've achieved nothing. It's time that someone took drastic action. I don't agree with whats being done, but I understand why it has.
Original post by Nuttyy
Parliament has had years to sort this mess out, yet they've achieved nothing. It's time that someone took drastic action. I don't agree with whats being done, but I understand why it has.

Why should one man (a man not even democratically elected as our prime minister) get to decide the fate of Britain.
Reply 4
Original post by Justanotheranon6
Why should one man (a man not even democratically elected as our prime minister) get to decide the fate of Britain.

well this delay is just to give him chance to negotiate a deal with the EU without his position being compromised by parliament at least for now and we will see how it goes
Reply 5
Original post by 3121
And this is VERY untrue. I’d love to say it’s fake news because it is but you wouldn’t take me seriously.

Parliament has a recess EVERY SINGLE YEAR at those dates, yes usually it’s the 12th/13th of September- 9th of October. BUT the rules are parliament can only rise on a Thursday or Friday and return on a Monday or Tuesday.

So this year the Thursday of that week falls on the 12th of September and due to regulations he can’t cut conference week short, so Tuesday the 8th isn’t possible and the 9th is a Wednesday against parliamentary rules so the closest date is the 14th of October.

Parliament is only losing 2 business days. The rest are weekends, but when you haven’t been able to make a decision for 2.5 years does 2 days really matter? So you can extend for another 6 months and waste it?

And this talk of undemocratic is ridiculous, these are the same people who openly spoke about a coup d’état under the name of a unity government when it’s an actual coup by definition, the most undemocratic thing possible, coups are used by dictators to gain power.
Suspending parliament is constitutional at this point since it’s happened every year at this time for a huge amount of time.

Get the facts straight, do your own research.

parliament is losing 13 business days in total if you count the days for debating the Queen's speech and that is a load of rubbish about that recess because they have only just come back after summer and if it happened anyway the PM wouldn't have had to request permission from the queen for it to happen so everything you have just said is totally false
Reply 6
Original post by 3121
This happens every year so unless you want to rewrite the constitution? I think 2.5 years to come up with one agreeable idea was more than enough.

It’s not rubbish, check 2018, 2017, heck go back to 1983 if you must. It’s ALWAYS been the Thursday of the of 2nd week of September For 4 weeks which is usually the 2nd week of October. Except this year the second week of October isn’t possible due to other parliamentary rules (it would have to be the Monday or Tuesday but this breaks the 4 week constitutional recess so it’s pushed until the next Monday, if he really wanted he would’ve made it the Tuesday as is more common for parliament to return on)

And you really don’t know how our democracy works do you? The PM asks for a recess each and every time, you forget these rules were made by parliament. Boris has simply drawn up the dates and made the request. Do your research!

ok i apologise i forgot about conference season being an official recess . and i am aware the PM asks for recesses outside the standard yearly dates i said that above . And you can't say it isn't undemocratic to actively prevent parliament from voting on something just because it is against the wishes of the PM
Reply 7
Original post by 3121
The PM can extend dates although anything beyond necessary needs approval from parliament, he is not allowed to ask for dates that cut parliamentary time frames short unless there is a declared emergency or parliament has formally requested him to do so. Those extra 2 business days were necessary to meet the minimum term for conference season otherwise it would be 1 day short, ideally parliament would rise on the 9th but it’s a Wednesday which isn’t allowed so Monday is the earliest, if he wanted he could’ve said Tuesday and been within his rights.

But there is nothing for parliament to vote on so what exactly is he preventing? There are no bills or motions in the house that Boris Johnson is trying to delay, point me out if I’m wrong. How many times did Theresa May consult parliament and they failed to give a single majority decision regarding brexit?

If Boris was doing what you said, he would be summoned for contempt of parliament, but they know he’s acting rightfully BUT they also know the public don’t know this and so can miss sell the story

well of course to extend he needs the queens permission.

He is trying to delay the first reading of the opposition alliance bill of the other main parties so they won't have time to pass it through both chambers before the 31st October.

and i agree that there he is acting legally, but does that actually stop it being undemocratic
Original post by Nuttyy
The tsar/weimar republic has had years to sort this mess out, yet he has/they have achieved nothing. It's time that someone took drastic action. I don't agree with whats being done, but I understand why it has.

Sounds about right.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by angelinahx
Sounds about right.

Actually had to double check lmaoo
Original post by Nuttyy
Actually had to double check lmaoo

You could literally use the sameargument to support any totalitarian coup/revolution lmfaoooo
what's happening is not democratic and it's shocking
Original post by Nuttyy
I don't agree with whats being done, but I understand why it has.

That is a very dangerous thing to say. Do you feel the same way about what Hitler did?

Here we have a leader elected by proxy without a mandate and yet people are standing by as he railroads the very fabric of our society because they agree with him. Populism is the worst type of politics. Just look what is happening to Brazil and Venezuela!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Nuttyy

It wasn't Parliament's job to sort this out.

It was the May Government's job to reach a deal with Europe that could command the support of a majority in Parliament.

Ultimately she was too inflexible to achieve that.
Original post by Billy345
well this delay is just to give him chance to negotiate a deal with the EU without his position being compromised by parliament at least for now and we will see how it goes

Parliament- democratically elected, reflects wishes of entire country
Boris- not democratically elected, one man who only reflects the views of the far right.
There is no excuse to let him suspend parliament
Reply 14
Original post by angelinahx
You could literally use the sameargument to support any totalitarian coup/revolution lmfaoooo
what's happening is not democratic and it's shocking

What happens is constitutionally sound. The constitution was written by parliament, so everything being done is democratic.
Reply 15
About time someone stopped with the wishy washy politics.
Reply 16
Original post by ByEeek
That is a very dangerous thing to say. Do you feel the same way about what Hitler did?

Here we have a leader elected by proxy without a mandate and yet people are standing by as he railroads the very fabric of our society because they agree with him. Populism is the worst type of politics. Just look what is happening to Brazil and Venezuela!

Absolutely. Germany was in a cripple, the nation was being shafted from all directions. Someone needed to step up and Hitler was the one who made Germany no longer a laughing stock.

As I said, I don't agree with what Hitler did, but I understand why he happened.
Parliament- democratically elected, reflects wishes of entire country
Boris- not democratically elected, one man who only reflects the views of the far right.
There is no excuse to let him suspend parliament

Except on this subject parliament does not reflect the wishes of the country, they reflect the wishes of themselves.

To be fair, you could argue that you are voting for a party, not a person. The Conservatives were democratically elected and they have time left in their term. Who leads the party, is the prerogative of the party

He isn't, there was a big vote about it over 3 years ago now and parliament has royally ****ed it up.
But our fate was decided by the majority of those who voted on the 23rd June 2016.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending