The Student Room Group

Student finance

I would be grateful if somebody could give me guidance on Student finance and previous education.

Brief details
I studied a Bachelor of arts degree in education in Turkey and graduated in 1999. After that I wasn't sure what to do so did another course in food management. I never took the teachers entrance exam or worked in Turkey. I then moved to th UK and have been a UK citizen for many years.

I was told when I applied for jobs in a School that my degree would not. count in the UK for Qualified Teacher Status, and have been working as a teaching assistant. I decided last year to better myself so applied for a PGCE in special needs so that I can finally become a fully qualified teacher. I have just completed my first year at University with funding from Student Finance but yesterday I logged in to see that all funding has been cancelled and they want last years money returned because I already have a qualified teaching degree even though it is not acceptable in the UK. So I wanted some guidance on comparability. Ie Naric will only state that I have a degree in education not whether I have QTS there. Any advice would be appreciated as I understand they won't fund a course at a lower or same level but the reason I am studying my PGCE is so that I can be qualified as my current qualification is not acceptable
Reply 1
Hi,

Oh no! That sounds like such a pain. I mean it would be annoying that you're being stopped from doing the course when you've been told that your qualification from Turkey isn't eligible here in the UK. Surely you should be eligible for the PGCE because from what you've said your degree was at bachelors level.

Maybe you could try to contact Student Finance directly about the issue and see what advice they give you.
I think they even have a page on this site where they answer questions - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

Good luck, I hope you get to go into teaching!
Original post by Derya1979
I would be grateful if somebody could give me guidance on Student finance and previous education.

Brief details
I studied a Bachelor of arts degree in education in Turkey and graduated in 1999. After that I wasn't sure what to do so did another course in food management. I never took the teachers entrance exam or worked in Turkey. I then moved to th UK and have been a UK citizen for many years.

I was told when I applied for jobs in a School that my degree would not. count in the UK for Qualified Teacher Status, and have been working as a teaching assistant. I decided last year to better myself so applied for a PGCE in special needs so that I can finally become a fully qualified teacher. I have just completed my first year at University with funding from Student Finance but yesterday I logged in to see that all funding has been cancelled and they want last years money returned because I already have a qualified teaching degree even though it is not acceptable in the UK. So I wanted some guidance on comparability. Ie Naric will only state that I have a degree in education not whether I have QTS there. Any advice would be appreciated as I understand they won't fund a course at a lower or same level but the reason I am studying my PGCE is so that I can be qualified as my current qualification is not acceptable

PGCE courses are usually exempt from the equivalent qualification rules that apply to other courses, so I'm surprised that your funding has been revoked for this reason.

I'd advise you to post in Ask Student Finance England to see if they can clarify the rules and what exactly has happened.

As to the money that they paid you last year, I would be taking the position that it was their mistake and therefore you shouldn't have to repay the money except under the normal conditions of the loan. If they won't agree to this then you should at least be able to arrange a payment plan.

I'd also contact the finance department at your uni and maybe your uni tutor for advice.

But I'm pretty sure SFE have made a mistake here, and I hope you can get this sorted.
Reply 3
Original post by SarcAndSpark
PGCE courses are usually exempt from the equivalent qualification rules that apply to other courses, so I'm surprised that your funding has been revoked for this reason.

I'd advise you to post in Ask Student Finance England to see if they can clarify the rules and what exactly has happened.

As to the money that they paid you last year, I would be taking the position that it was their mistake and therefore you shouldn't have to repay the money except under the normal conditions of the loan. If they won't agree to this then you should at least be able to arrange a payment plan.

I'd also contact the finance department at your uni and maybe your uni tutor for advice.

But I'm pretty sure SFE have made a mistake here, and I hope you can get this sorted.

Thankyou for your assistance. I believe the equivalency rules only apply when a student already has QTS which is the angle they are using. A child of 10 could search the gov qts regulations website in about 5 minutes to get the appropriate statute law that states quite clearly that a teacher from outside of the EEA not only doesn't have QTS status but cannot apply for QTS status until they have completed a PGCE course. You have to question either student finances research team if they even bother to have one and their staff training as they are so uneducated it's hard to believe from a large public organisation.
Original post by Derya1979
Thankyou for your assistance. I believe the equivalency rules only apply when a student already has QTS which is the angle they are using. A child of 10 could search the gov qts regulations website in about 5 minutes to get the appropriate statute law that states quite clearly that a teacher from outside of the EEA not only doesn't have QTS status but cannot apply for QTS status until they have completed a PGCE course. You have to question either student finances research team if they even bother to have one and their staff training as they are so uneducated it's hard to believe from a large public organisation.

Unfortunately, student finance do outsource a lot of their staffing, and staff aren't always well trained. It is a bit rubbish but there's not much anyone can do about it- I've also had my fair share of SFE **** ups.

I'd suggest contacting them about this. If you do it on social media in the first instance, you tend to get more well trained advisors and then you'll have something in writing which you can bring up if you need to call them.

I'd also strongly suggest speaking to your uni for advice.

I hope you can get this sorted!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending