The Student Room Group

My teacher said we had to write the Higher Portfolio in the classroom. Is this normal

My English teacher has said we have to do one (maybe both) of the higher portfolio in the classroom, in exam conditions (with notes, so not really exam conditions) Her excuse for this is that we could procaste it so it would be better to do in class. (Something along the lines of that, I have bad memory so I might recalled that wrong)

I was wondering if this is normal. As I have bad dyslexia and would struggle to write down the word requirements in the time and do better writing on computer with the word requirements.Also with writing something like a portofilio I do better when I have breaks in between and she is suggesting that we'd do it in a double period.

I'd speak to the guidance teacher, but I do not know if this is normal and I would feel bad if I did speak to the guidance teacher if this was normal, which it might be and I do not like making a big deal out of things.

Sorry for the bad grammar and if it's in the wrong section.
Original post by annejpenna
My English teacher has said we have to do one (maybe both) of the higher portfolio in the classroom, in exam conditions (with notes, so not really exam conditions) Her excuse for this is that we could procaste it so it would be better to do in class. (Something along the lines of that, I have bad memory so I might recalled that wrong)

I was wondering if this is normal. As I have bad dyslexia and would struggle to write down the word requirements in the time and do better writing on computer with the word requirements.Also with writing something like a portofilio I do better when I have breaks in between and she is suggesting that we'd do it in a double period.

I'd speak to the guidance teacher, but I do not know if this is normal and I would feel bad if I did speak to the guidance teacher if this was normal, which it might be and I do not like making a big deal out of things.

Sorry for the bad grammar and if it's in the wrong section.

It definitely isn't standard practice, and it isn't a requirement from the SQA either. To quote the SQA on it, 'this need not entail formal, timed, and closely supervised conditions', and 'There is no time limit for this coursework, and the two pieces of writing can be gathered from across a period of time', so if your teacher is being strict about this, they are not following the SQA assessment conditions.

I have heard of a few teachers previously trying to use this type of method, and more often than not, it's the case that they come across like they're going to be really strict with it & then the reality is quite different.

Overall though, don't worry about it (as if they persist with this method, you can inform the SQA), but I would encourage you to speak to either the class teacher or guidance teacher to get it sorted sooner rather than later :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Labrador99
It definitely isn't standard practice, and it isn't a requirement from the SQA either. To quote the SQA on it, 'this need not entail formal, timed, and closely supervised conditions', and 'There is no time limit for this coursework, and the two pieces of writing can be gathered from across a period of time', so if your teacher is being strict about this, they are not following the SQA assessment conditions.

I have heard of a few teachers previously trying to use this type of method, and more often than not, it's the case that they come across like they're going to be really strict with it & then the reality is quite different.

Overall though, don't worry about it (as if they persist with this method, you can inform the SQA), but I would encourage you to speak to either the class teacher or guidance teacher to get it sorted sooner rather than later :smile:

Thank you, for the good reply! It has definitely eased my worries. :smile:

I'll definitely talk to my guidance teacher soon, about this as I've had problems with the same English teacher before.
Original post by annejpenna
Thank you, for the good reply! It has definitely eased my worries. :smile:

I'll definitely talk to my guidance teacher soon, about this as I've had problems with the same English teacher before.

No problem at all, hope you get it sorted! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending