The Student Room Group

What's wrong with me?

I feel sick at the thought of seeing people that I know in public. I hate going out in public, as this also makes me feel really worried. What's wrong with me?
Sounds to me like social anxiety
Reply 2
I think you might be anti-social. Although to be honest I try to avoid people I used to know (primary school and etc) in public too.In addition to this I usually try to avoid eye contact with people when walking (just a habit or some sort of awkward defence).
Reply 3
Original post by Amon-ster
Sounds to me like social anxiety

Really?
Original post by Anonymous
Really?

yes
Reply 5
Original post by Ogh123
I think you might be anti-social. Although to be honest I try to avoid people I used to know (primary school and etc) in public too.In addition to this I usually try to avoid eye contact with people when walking (just a habit or some sort of awkward defence).

I don't overly see myself as anti-social. I'm fine if it's at school, I talk to people and stuff like that. It's just anywhere else.
Reply 6
Original post by Amon-ster
yes

Great, just what I needed. How do I get rid of it?
It does seem as though you may have social anxiety, speak to your GP about it
I think you have anxiety of the socialness.
Reply 9
It does seem as though you may have social anxiety, speak to your GP about it

It takes ages to get an appointment with my doctor. What do you think he could do about it?
Thank you to everybody for your advice. The majority seem to think that I have social anxiety, but how can I change it?
He could maybe talk with you about it and you he could refer you to get some help with it or if you do get a diagnosis of social anxiety then there are medications and things that help with it. I am like that but I don’t take medication I just do weird things like count or tap something repeatedly to help me calm my nerves when I’m out in a place full of people and when I see someone I know I tend to look at my phone or look away to pretend I don’t see them then I feel fine after that 🤷🏼*♀️
He could maybe talk with you about it and you he could refer you to get some help with it or if you do get a diagnosis of social anxiety then there are medications and things that help with it. I am like that but I don’t take medication I just do weird things like count or tap something repeatedly to help me calm my nerves when I’m out in a place full of people and when I see someone I know I tend to look at my phone or look away to pretend I don’t see them then I feel fine after that 🤷🏼*♀️

Ok, thank you so much.
my friend had this and she made herself go out with friends, once she was comfortable with that she went out with 2 friends, then 1 friend until she was comfortable and eventually she could go out alone.
my friend had this and she made herself go out with friends, once she was comfortable with that she went out with 2 friends, then 1 friend until she was comfortable and eventually she could go out alone.

That's a good strategy. Unfortunately, I'm moving to a new school. Some girls did talk to me, and they seem really nice, but I don't overly know them and I don't think I could go out with them.

Quick Reply

Latest