The Student Room Group

A-Level help with History

Guys am not feeling well with how history A-Level is going for me. I need someone to help me psychologically cause this idiotic teacher of mine fakes about helping me. I study protest and agitation. OMG, this **** is F****** hard. Everyone in the class is complaining but am seeking advice and help from you guys. plz don't let me down. I need sample essays for protest and agitations to see how people structure their essays. Also need to know how to write a good essay. someone, please beg u help me
Original post by massive32
Guys am not feeling well with how history A-Level is going for me. I need someone to help me psychologically cause this idiotic teacher of mine fakes about helping me. I study protest and agitation. OMG, this **** is F****** hard. Everyone in the class is complaining but am seeking advice and help from you guys. plz don't let me down. I need sample essays for protest and agitations to see how people structure their essays. Also need to know how to write a good essay. someone, please beg u help me

Hi, really sorry to know that you're struggling with history. I'm going into year 13 now and unfortunately I don't study your course but I've been getting A*s all year. Are you with AQA? If so, every paper has a set way of answering the questions so I could help if you really need it.

Try finding sample answers online because Idk if people will give you their essays. I’m sure there are ‘model’ example essays on AQA?
Reply 3
Original post by abbiek432
Hi, really sorry to know that you're struggling with history. I'm going into year 13 now and unfortunately I don't study your course but I've been getting A*s all year. Are you with AQA?

Omg A2 is difficult. Am studying edexcel 😭8 did AS and I got A in my mock for history.
Omg A2 is difficult. Am studying edexcel 😭8 did AS and I got A in my mock for history.

If you got in an A in Your mock it sounds like you at least know somewhat how to structure essays.
I did edexcel and I got an A* overall and what I noticed the most for me is that after Christmas my second year that’s when essay structure clicked in my head. I went from getting C/Bs in my first year to solid As in the latter half of my second year.
So what I’m trying to say is that the more essays you do, the more it becomes apparent how to write a good essay. Essentially just keep writing practice essays and you should hopefully get better with practice.
(edited 4 years ago)

An A is amazing omg!!
B
Hi, I have essay plans on papers; Britain transformed 1918-79, USA; Boom, bust and recovery and British empire. These have taken very, very long to write I have also achieved an A* in History, some of these essay plans have helped student a lot before in their exams. Please message me for prices, I am also open to any offers x
These notes are based on the exam board Edexcel btw
Reply 7

I can’t help you in that topic. However, I too was the same in year 12/13. I honestly hated the subject and just felt completely stupid the whole time. I was so angry with myself and in my As exam got a D.
What I would advice you is to decide whether it is worth a lot of work. I managed to go up 1-2 grades within a year because of a lot of time I put in (not saying you didn’t, if your teacher is being idiot I understand the frustration)
I don’t know if this is your only teacher for history, if he isn’t you could try talking to the other teacher and apply that to your other subject. This is what I did and it helped a lot. If this is not possible then try and ask the teacher for example papers. You could also ask fellow students or people in the year above (if you have any contact with them like snapchat)

structure is definitely important. You can have all the information but if you can’t write it how the examiners want it it’s so frustrating (same problem I had) honestly wish exams were a pub quiz.

try hang in there dude, I know this wasn’t overly helpful but I just wanted to let you know you seriously aren’t alone!

I also tried to find stuff to help. Sorry if it’s not the best. I wish you all the luck!

https://historysetsyoufree.com/protest-agitation-and-parliamentary-reform-in-britain-1780-1928-edexcel-2015-spec/

Hiya,
I just finished my History A-level and I came out with an A grade. I did AQA Democracy and Nazism and Challenge and Transformation in Britain 1851-1954 (which no-one does :sigh:). You're right that essay structure really matters when it comes to grades! When I finally understood how to structure the essay for my depth course my grades went from D's to A's!
The structure we were told to use for the breadth course was AEEQ.
A - Argument, start your paragraph with the point you want to make (pretty obvious)
E - Evidence, What have you got to back this up?(Statistics, laws all that sort of thing)
E - Explain, Go through your evidence and say why this proves your argument is right and try to link it back to the question if you can!
Q - Quote, This isn't always possible but if you can get a quote in or reference a historians point of view examiners really like this! Don't worry too much about the quote though.
A good essay should be made up of a short introduction, 5-6 paragraphs in which you make your points with the AEEQ structure and finally your conclusion.
For the Depth paper try and cram in as many facts and information as you can! It can be difficult to remember everything but if you find a method that works for you to help you remember the facts your life will be soooo much easier when it comes to history!
I used a slightly unconventional method in that I made snakes and ladders boards and wrote a question on each square with the answers on a different sheet. When you land on a square answer the question and if you get it wrong stay where you were. Its quite weird but it worked so well for me when I was bored to death with flashcards!
I'm not sure if you're doing AQA but if you are this link thingy should take you to a list of 'assessment materials' which is basically just a bunch of different questions and a well written answer for it. They have them for all of the different topic areas so if you have a look through there should hopefully be something helpful!
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/history/as-and-a-level/history-7041-7042/assessment-resources
Hope this helps! :smile:
Original post by melissaellen
If you got in an A in Your mock it sounds like you at least know somewhat how to structure essays.
I did edexcel and I got an A* overall and what I noticed the most for me is that after Christmas my second year that’s when essay structure clicked in my head. I went from getting C/Bs in my first year to solid As in the latter half of my second year.
So what I’m trying to say is that the more essays you do, the more it becomes apparent how to write a good essay. Essentially just keep writing practice essays and you should hopefully get better with practice.

What essay structure did you use?

You need to do Factor, then knowledge and then explain. Then your last sentence should be analysis. I'm doing a different topic to you but for me it would. Factor: The red terror led to Bolsheviks winning the civil war. Knowledge: Food was taken from peasants and given to red army. Explain: This led to the army getting stronger. That's just a basic example of one point. You would need more detail then that, also you want to aim for 3-5 of these per paragraph.
Original post by harryisalegend
Hi, I have essay plans on papers; Britain transformed 1918-79, USA; Boom, bust and recovery and British empire. These have taken very, very long to write I have also achieved an A* in History, some of these essay plans have helped student a lot before in their exams. Please message me for prices, I am also open to any offers x

Hey I would like them please

hey are you still selling these?

i am very interested!

Quick Reply

Latest