The Student Room Group

Hyperpigmentation removal

Hey guys..any tips on how to remove dark mouth area, dark upper eyelids, neck & scarring THAT ACTUALLY WORKS? I’ve been trying turmeric with yoghurt etc and still nothing for months 😩 not even the slightest improvement! I am of brown skin tone

Thank you would really appreciate the advice x

Scroll to see replies

Bio Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, Almond Oil, Coconut Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Diluted Lemon Juice, Vitamin E, Vitamin A....just a list of things you could use
Original post by Maris499
Hey guys..any tips on how to remove dark mouth area, dark upper eyelids, neck & scarring THAT ACTUALLY WORKS? I’ve been trying turmeric with yoghurt etc and still nothing for months 😩 not even the slightest improvement! I am of brown skin tone

Thank you would really appreciate the advice x

oh goodness, thats not going to work at all! both of those are quite irritating and will not do well. i’d stay away from any ‘home made’ or ‘natural’ skincare methods as they are not effective and can do more harm than good. i recommend investing in an retinol or acid, eg glycolic, lactic etc. vitamin c treatments and hyaluronic acid will likely also help. you should look into AHAs and BHAs, and establish a non-irritating skincare routine that works for lightening dark marks. research the ingredients, safety and reviews of ANY product you put onto your skin! hope this helps x
Original post by maiishaa-a
Bio Oil, Aloe Vera Gel, Almond Oil, Coconut Oil, Apple Cider Vinegar, Diluted Lemon Juice, Vitamin E, Vitamin A....just a list of things you could use

never ever put plain acv or any form of lemon juice onto your skin! it could mess up your ph balance and is likely to cause burns that will stick with you. properly research ingredients before relying on homemade ‘cures’! coconut oil is actually quite comedogenic and will likely clog your pores, causing acne. vitamin e and a could work, but only in certain products. all the best x
Original post by therealbeing
never ever put plain acv or any form of lemon juice onto your skin! it could mess up your ph balance and is likely to cause burns that will stick with you. properly research ingredients before relying on homemade ‘cures’! coconut oil is actually quite comedogenic and will likely clog your pores, causing acne. vitamin e and a could work, but only in certain products. all the best x

that's why I mentioned diluted

Diluted Lemon Juice

even diluted could cause burns and irritation, the risks outweigh any possible benefits really
Reply 6
instead of trying homemade products, it is more safer and more effective if you buy products. I mostly swear by korean products. Most of the korean products have whitening ingredients in them. The key ingredient to look for is vitamin C. I would recommend you Pure Vitamin C21.5 serum by wishtrend as they have shown to be really effective. But do remember that it has 21.5% pure vitamin C in it. If you are relatively new to vitamin C, then you can try Klairs freshly Juiced Vitamin C. They are serums and also great in removing hyper-pigmentation as well as improve the whole texture of the skin. It makes your skin more soft and bouncy to touch along with fading marks. I have been using them for a year now and they are absolutely wonderful. If you are relatively new to serums or have no clue about them, don't worry. The pure Vitamin C21.5 also comes in face masks.
Original post by therealbeing
even diluted could cause burns and irritation, the risks outweigh any possible benefits really

it depends on you skin tbh...sensitive skins will deffo be a no-no but for anyone who does seek beauty advice from online forums tbh I would advise them to still do research upon it to check if it's right for their skin
Reply 8
Hey Maris499...I was in the same dilemna about 2months ago, I'm brown-skinned too and I used to have hyperpigmentation around my mouth, eyes and close to my armpits. A lot of things I was trying weren't working either. But then my best-friend suggested these natural soap bars called Gen Soap bars (gensoap.co.uk); I tried the Sweet Orange
Reply 9
Original post by Laila734
Hey Maris499...I was in the same dilemna about 2months ago, I'm brown-skinned too and I used to have hyperpigmentation around my mouth, eyes and close to my armpits. A lot of things I was trying weren't working either. But then my best-friend suggested these natural soap bars called Gen Soap bars (gensoap.co.uk); I tried the Sweet Orange

Hey Laila! Thank you so much I will check it out! Did it work for you and how long did you use it for to start seeing results?

I’m mostly insecure about my mouth area, dark circles and my really dark neck too! Will this help it all?
I just bought the Vitamin C oil from BaseLift and been using it once every week. I’m just so tired of buying things and not seeing results. I even got a derma roller and I don’t think I am seeing anything either!
Hey Laila! Thank you so much I will check it out! Did it work for you and how long did you use it for to start seeing results?

I’m mostly insecure about my mouth area, dark circles and my really dark neck too! Will this help it all?
I just bought the Vitamin C oil from BaseLift and been using it once every week. I’m just so tired of buying things and not seeing results. I even got a derma roller and I don’t think I am seeing anything either!

Great! Yeah the Sweet Orange & Turmeric bar worked for me, I was even shocked to notice a major difference because I had tried so many things before and they just never did the desired job. With the Gen Soap bar, it took 4-5 weeks of using it before I could notice a major difference in the reduction of pigmentation, especially around my mouth and eyes! I washed my face with it EVERYDAY twice-a-day (once in the morning, once at night), I still do lol! I remember I tried a derma roller before, truthfully those things are useless for long-term results. I'd suggest you use exfoliating gloves/sponge when you do use the Gen Soap bar and when you scrub your face, scrub gently but for longer on your darker areas (e.g. mouth, around eyes)...I did this twice everyday and I definitely saw results. Even people around me could notice, and that was the biggest sign of proof for me lol!

They also have a blog page on their website that gives skincare tips on issues like this, and even info on benefits of certain ingredients they use; for example, I found that the reason why this bar actually works is because the unique combo of Vitamin C from the orange, together with the organic turmeric actively evens out blemishes and dark areas back to your true skin-tone, even giving you better glow to your skin.

Let me know how you get on x
Reply 11
Great! Yeah the Sweet Orange & Turmeric bar worked for me, I was even shocked to notice a major difference because I had tried so many things before and they just never did the desired job. With the Gen Soap bar, it took 4-5 weeks of using it before I could notice a major difference in the reduction of pigmentation, especially around my mouth and eyes! I washed my face with it EVERYDAY twice-a-day (once in the morning, once at night), I still do lol! I remember I tried a derma roller before, truthfully those things are useless for long-term results. I'd suggest you use exfoliating gloves/sponge when you do use the Gen Soap bar and when you scrub your face, scrub gently but for longer on your darker areas (e.g. mouth, around eyes)...I did this twice everyday and I definitely saw results. Even people around me could notice, and that was the biggest sign of proof for me lol!

They also have a blog page on their website that gives skincare tips on issues like this, and even info on benefits of certain ingredients they use; for example, I found that the reason why this bar actually works is because the unique combo of Vitamin C from the orange, together with the organic turmeric actively evens out blemishes and dark areas back to your true skin-tone, even giving you better glow to your skin.

Let me know how you get on x

Oh wow thank you so much! I have checked out the website love how the bars are at such an amazing price!! I will definitely order one! I’ve been suffering with dark mouth area foreverrrrr and literally nothing has seemed to ever get rid of it! I hate that I have to constantly where concealer around it!

Is the bar good for dry skin too? Xx
Reply 12
I heard vit c serums helps a lot with this issue
Oh wow thank you so much! I have checked out the website love how the bars are at such an amazing price!! I will definitely order one! I’ve been suffering with dark mouth area foreverrrrr and literally nothing has seemed to ever get rid of it! I hate that I have to constantly where concealer around it!

Is the bar good for dry skin too? Xx

That's great, I'm glad to have helped! Yes, the bar is suitable for dry skin, and even sensitive skin too x
Reply 14
Original post by Kieshki
I heard vit c serums helps a lot with this issue

Yes hopefully! I’m currently using the vitamin C oil by baselift about 2/3 times a week so hopefully it does work
Reply 15
That's great, I'm glad to have helped! Yes, the bar is suitable for dry skin, and even sensitive skin too x

Thank you so much! To see results within just over a month sounds great hopefully it works!! Xx
Reply 16
Is lactic acid by the ordinary any good? I heard it’s good and mild enough for dry/sensitive skin in removing scars/pigmentation
-lactic acid to exfoliate
-azelaic acid as a serum or in a moisturiser

two ingredients that help fade hyperpigmentation with loads of scientific evidence behind them - they work especially well for asian people. fading dark spots is a long process though (much longer than actually getting them sadly) - i've had to deal with dark spots from acne healing, but i find those two things work really well in fading the spots as fast as poss (e.g. in 2-6 months time depending on how old the scars are).

vitamin c works well too, but has the potential to irritate your skin. i've tried various forms of vit c, but sadly they all irritate me and actually create spots for me. but yea lactic & azelaic have done wonders on.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by beebeebalm
-lactic acid to exfoliate
-azelaic acid as a serum or in a moisturiser

two ingredients that help fade hyperpigmentation with loads of scientific evidence behind them - they work especially well for asian people. fading dark spots is a long process though (much longer than actually getting them sadly) - i've had to deal with dark spots from acne healing, but i find those two things work really well in fading the spots as fast as poss (e.g. in 2-6 months time depending on how old the scars are).

vitamin c works well too, but has the potential to irritate your skin. i've tried various forms of vit c, but sadly they all irritate me and actually create spots for me. but yea lactic & azelaic have done wonders on.

Thank you! I bought the Gen Soap (turmeric) so hopefully it goes well with that which I use 2/3x a week.

I will look into buying lactic acid and start off with the lowest percentage I think 0.5% by The Ordinary.
My mouth area, neck, hands and arms are really dark compared to the rest of my body. Will it be possible to use the lactic on them? And how often should I use it on my face and body parts?
Reply 19
Update: so I’ve been using Superdrug Vitamin C oil which only costs £5!!! I’ve been using it everyday for the past month now and my skin looks so much more even overal! There is still darkness around my mouth but I am starting to get used to it as it doesn’t look as bad as before anymore?

I haven’t noticed much difference using The Tumeric Gen Soap for the past 4 months suggested by @Laila734 but it does make a really good cleanser, making my skin squeaky clean!

I also have been using The Body Shops drops off light liquid peel/scrub (around £18) for about 2/3 weeks now 2xweek. this has been lovely on the skin and my neck making it soft.

Overall my complexion has gotten more brighter, but the darkness on my neck, upper lip & dark spots are still there but I feel they have slightly improved. So will continue with this routine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending