The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Polkadot2018
Blimey! I’m so confused. Just spoke to Nottingham to try to establish whether threshold score 50 from FOI for last year was out of the 56 (GCSE/UCAT Max). Was on phone some time talking to couple of people who really nice and tried to be helpful but bottom line is with my score (48) should def go for it. Apparently 50 score last year may have been based on different criteria to what we will be using for 2020 entry as some suggestion PS could have factored in there. Person I spoke to suggested I do a FOI to get clear breakdown to be sure.

I was going to do an FOI too another day
Original post by Sososnake
How certain are you? I score 48/49 at the moment

Hi @Sososnake 100% sure ps was scored last year but a good point was kinda raised here that scores for each element might be different from last year. Pretty sure you could score up to 16 points for ps last year.
Original post by Splishsplash
Hi @Sososnake 100% sure ps was scored last year but a good point was kinda raised here that scores for each element might be different from last year. Pretty sure you could score up to 16 points for ps last year.

So the cutoff was 50 after ps scoring? That seems very low
I suppose medical schools not huge fans of FOI requests because of the second guessing etc it causes potential applicants who then rule themselves out based on criteria when the following year they may well have been accepted. Understandable however when we are all working so hard on so many levels (academics, volunteering, extra-curricular, UCAT/BMAT prep) that we will want to be as well informed as we can be so we optimise our own strengths/weaknesses. As much as I would love to apply to Nottingham, I want to become a doctor first and foremost. Really hope we can get to bottom of this so that some of us don’t err and either apply or not apply because not fully in the picture. Only seems fair.

Yep we definitely need to find out if that cutoff includes the ps score for last year
Reply 64
I don’t think so. I’ve been over this thread and it seems the 45-49 scores were Pathway applicants etc. The posters who received interviews seemed to be getting 50/51 scores etc. The SJT2 cost me dearly. But tbh, even if I’d scored a band 1 I’d still only have just met last years threshold. Just can’t afford the risk when I can apply to UCAT heavy uni’s with greater certainty or any which credit A* predictions such as Exeter and Cambridge. Sad about it though 😥

Last year's cu off included the ps score probs(not 100% sure). 45 or 44 was the cut off out of 56. Got an interview with 45 out of 56, although I'm not a pathway applicant.
Reply 65
According to a FOI shared by @GANFYD last years cutoff was 50/56 for an interview

Pretty gutted. 😥Nottingham my first choice and now not an option. The way they score UCAT means that even with decent UCAT (757 -SJT2) I only score 48 as I also lose point for GCSE’s, and for 2019 entry the cut off for non contextual was 50. Back to the drawing board with regard choices. Currently looking at Newcastle, Bristol and either Cambridge or Exeter. Plan to check out Sheffield, Liverpool and possibly Manchester now. Soooooooo disappointed.....

OK, further clarification from Nottingham
We can confirm that the personal statement was scored as part of the 2019 selection process and the score required to reach the personal scoring stage (GCSE and UCAT scoring) was 34.

So 2018 was 45 for academics and 52 after PS
2019 was 34 for academics and 50 post PS.

I felt it unlikely they would have a cut off at that sort of level, especially given they had 80 extra places over the last 2 years (so likely 200+ extra interviews).
They do, however, still need to cut some people off just with academics/UCAT who would have made the cut to have PS assessed, as they used that to reject some last year. So cut off between the 2 numbers seems likely and 45 still feels reasonable if you look at the stats needed to make that up - most people will have 28 for UCAT, 14 to 16 for GCSEs and a 4 for SJT = 46-48. I think it is unlikely to go higher than 48 as needs full GCSEs, B1 and at least 1 700 subset in UCAT to achieve that.
I don't know this, but I would be happy to apply with 46 and would give it a go at 45 if I really liked Nottingham and had other safe choices. I actually suspect it will be lower, so depends how risk averse you are!
Reply 66
I understand now that interviews were offered after PS were scored alongside UCAT/GCSE score. So the ‘50’ threshold for non-contextuals last year to receive interviews was out of the max possible score of 72 (made up of 56 Max UCAT/GCSE and 16 PS)? So advice from various people that score of 46 plus for UCAT/GCSE should be fine seems to stand. I suppose the unknown bit this year is how that number may be affected without PS counting towards interview. Thoughts @GANFYD please whether in your opinion they like to be subject to move greater than usual? Or is that a bit unfair of me to put on you 🤪?

Have posted on the 2020 thread and stuck my neck out!!
Reply 67
I wonder why the academic points dropped from 45 to 34 between 2018 and 2019. Was this because of the Lincoln pathway?

In any case, I was scared off by the 50/56 cut off mentioned earlier and cancelled my train tickets this morning. I was intending to go to their Open Day in September but will now give it a miss.

I find it very confusing when it says on their website they are no longer scoring personal statements but it turns out they actually still are!
Reply 68
Original post by Mel242
I wonder why the academic points dropped from 45 to 34 between 2018 and 2019. Was this because of the Lincoln pathway?

In any case, I was scared off by the 50/56 cut off mentioned earlier and cancelled my train tickets this morning. I was intending to go to their Open Day in September but will now give it a miss.

I find it very confusing when it says on their website they are no longer scoring personal statements but it turns out they actually still are!

They are definitely not scoring them this year, but did for the other years mentioned (although did change their website last year around UCAS deadline time)
Original post by Mel242

It looks like the year before last they did have a first stage cut off for academics but dropped it last year for some reason. For the people with 34 points for academics last year they must have scored 16/16 for their personal statements then to reach the 50 cut off - wow!
I understand now that interviews were offered after PS were scored alongside UCAT/GCSE score. So the ‘50’ threshold for non-contextuals last year to receive interviews was out of the max possible score of 72 (made up of 56 Max UCAT/GCSE and 16 PS)? So advice from various people that score of 46 plus for UCAT/GCSE should be fine seems to stand. I suppose the unknown bit this year is how that number may be affected without PS counting towards interview. Thoughts @GANFYD please whether in your opinion they like to be subject to move greater than usual? Or is that a bit unfair of me to put on you 🤪?

Are you certain? It does seem like 50/56 is very high even for prospective medics
Reply 71
Are you certain? It does seem like 50/56 is very high even for prospective medics

It is 50 out of 72
Original post by GANFYD
It is 50 out of 72

How sure are you?
Reply 73
How sure are you?

It is what Nottingham have stated, see the 2020 thread and the details are there, this one is for last year
Great post. Thank you. In answer to your question, not hugely 🤣 Score of 48 but need to think about this some more. Glad the uncertainty here resolved though regarding thresholds. Appreciate your help.

Hi @Polkadot2018, I’d go for Nottingham if I had your score.
Possible I suppose that they ruled out too many with ucat/gcse score the year before of 45, as they then only needed 7/16 for PS that year to get interview (totalling score of 52 as threshold). So perhaps they dropped to 34 last year which had effect of allowing so many more to the PS stage that only those with full score actually made the cut off (50/72) interview. 🤔
Possible I suppose that they ruled out too many with ucat/gcse score the year before of 45, as they then only needed 7/16 for PS that year to get interview (totalling score of 52 as threshold). So perhaps they dropped to 34 last year which had effect of allowing so many more to the PS stage that only those with full score actually made the cut off (50/72) interview. 🤔

Hi based on last years cut off, what do you think the cut off will be for this year? Is it likely to increase by much?
Original post by UrbanIncentive
Hi based on last years cut off, what do you think the cut off will be for this year? Is it likely to increase by much?

Likely to increase probably to mid to high40’s
Reply 78
Original post by Mel242

Yes, Lincoln pathway, I suspect.
They interviewed everybody who met their minimum requirements and had a B1-3 UKCAT for Lincoln last year
did my ucat and got 550 AVERAGE and band 3 :frown:I am really worried :0

Latest

Trending

Trending